Solved

AMD Athlon II X4 645 Upgrade?

I am thinking of getting myself a GTX 670 and was concerned about any possible bottlenecks. Would I notice a significant bottleneck, and if so what should I upgrade to? On HP's site it tells me my upgrade option. I found a few possessors but I'm not sure they are really cut out for gaming. I need an outside opinion on this please.

Max TDP: 95W
Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:
NOTE-Only Socket AM3 processors are supported with this motherboard.
AMD Phenom II X6 10xxT Six-Core (Thuban core)
AMD Phenom II X4 9xx/9xxe/8xx Quad-Core (Deneb core)
AMD Phenom II X3 7xx/7xxe Triple-Core (Heka core)
AMD Phenom II X2 5xx (Callisto core)
AMD Athlon X4 6xx/6xxe (Propus)
AMD Athlon X3 4xx/4xxe (Rana)
AMD Athlon X2 2xx/2xxe (Regor)
AMD Sempron Single Core 1xx (Sargas core)
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about athlon upgrade
  1. Best answer
    http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-7970-cpu-scaling-performance-review/1

Give this a read. 7970 is on par with a GTX 670 and your CPU is included in this review.

You may be somewhat bottlenecked in most games. I think your performance may be suitable, but the GTX 670 is one awesome card and would love some more CPU power backing it.

Being on a HP, likely limiting overclocking, and stuck with 95W CPUs you're really limited to your choices.

You may be forced to try it out and see how your performance is.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113007

This will be your only real upgrade being limited to 95W. Not much of a leap in performance for the price IMO, but it's something.

You may need to look at upgrading your motherboard/CPU (intel?) if you aren't happy with your performance when you get the card.

*shrug
  2. What resolution are you playing at? If at 1080p then game happily as the "bottleneck" is negligible.

+1 above as well you aren't going to get leaps and bounds improvement upgrading your cpu since you couldn't overclock your cpu regardless.

If you're playing at lower resolutions just buy a cheaper card like a 6870, 6950, GTX 560 TI, 7850, GTX 570 since your processor would be holding you back then, which would be a shame for a 670

Also, I updated an HP desktop cpu and had horrible issues with the motherboard detecting temps incorrectly with fans speeding up and down all day.
  3. My native resolution is 1080p so yes, I am playing in that. Would you recommend we switching over to the new ivy bridges? If so, how would one go around installing a new motherboard. The MoBo is the only thing I don't touch in my computer, so I would most likely just get the Geek Squad to do it. Also, can you guys give me an estimate eon how many frames I will be missing due to my bottleneck.
  4. Best answer selected by xyzqwa.
  5. The motherboard isn't very hard to mess with if you're used to other things such as CPU. Just a lot of screws.

Maybe check out a local computer store before Geek Squad. They tend to overcharge on many simple tasks so I hate referring people to Geek Squad. :)

You could try out the GTX 670 first before upgrading the cpu/mobo and see how your performance is.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Core AMD Product