Travelling from USA to Brazil : Need cell phone

Hello

I have a Nokia CDMA phone that I currently use with Verizon in USA.

I will be visiting Brazil in the next couple of weeks, and then Thailand in
September and would like to have the use of a cell phone while I am in
those countries.

My understanding is that I need to get hold of an 'unlocked' quad band cell
phone and then, when I am in those countries, buy a SIM card from a local
provider.

Is this correct ?

If it is, how can I get hold of an unlockedquad band cell phone ?

Thanks.
4 answers Last reply
More about travelling brazil cell phone

    "Frugal Sam" <frugalsam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hello
    >
    > I have a Nokia CDMA phone that I currently use with Verizon in USA.
    >
    > I will be visiting Brazil in the next couple of weeks, and then Thailand
    > in
    > September and would like to have the use of a cell phone while I am in
    > those countries.
    >
    > My understanding is that I need to get hold of an 'unlocked' quad band
    > cell
    > phone and then, when I am in those countries, buy a SIM card from a local
    > provider.
    >
    > Is this correct ?
    >
    > If it is, how can I get hold of an unlockedquad band cell phone ?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Yup you would need a quad or triband unlocked

    There is CDMA in both Brazil and Thailand, but Verizon does not have roaming
    privileges. If your phone is unlocked and has multiple NAMs, it just might
    be possible to get it going, but GSM will be WAY easier.

    For international CDMA coverage, checkout www.cdg.org

    Stu

    "www.simcard.me.uk" <webmaster@(remove_the_spam)simcard.me.uk> wrote in
    message news:1116411244.1953.0@nnrp-t71-03.news.uk.clara.net...

    On Wed, 18 May 2005 01:49:42 -0500, Frugal Sam <frugalsam@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >Hello
    >
    >I have a Nokia CDMA phone that I currently use with Verizon in USA.
    >
    >I will be visiting Brazil in the next couple of weeks, and then Thailand in
    >September and would like to have the use of a cell phone while I am in
    >those countries.
    >
    >My understanding is that I need to get hold of an 'unlocked' quad band cell
    >phone and then, when I am in those countries, buy a SIM card from a local
    >provider.
    >
    >Is this correct ?
    >
    >If it is, how can I get hold of an unlockedquad band cell phone ?
    >
    >Thanks.
    Most tribands will do just fine, but what you need is a GSM phone.
    Only in the USA do you need GSM800/850, The rest of the world has GSM
    at 900 or 1800Mhz, the USA T-Mobile is mostly 1900, and Cingular has
    both 1900 and 850mhz service.

    "Frugal Sam" <frugalsam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I have a Nokia CDMA phone that I currently use with Verizon in USA.
    >
    > I will be visiting Brazil in the next couple of weeks, and then Thailand
    in
    > September and would like to have the use of a cell phone while I am in
    > those countries.

    Here is the major AMPS/TDMA/CDMA roaming database page:
    http://irca.illuminet.com/irc/irca.asp
    It looks like Verizon is not a memeber of PARC, so you'd have to check with
    Verizon if you can roam in Brazil.

    > My understanding is that I need to get hold of an 'unlocked' quad band
    cell
    > phone and then, when I am in those countries, buy a SIM card from a local
    > provider.
    >
    > Is this correct ?

    You probably only need a tri-band (900/1800/1900) Brazil uses GSM on 1900
    and Thailand uses 900 & 1800. Tri-bands are much more common than
    quad-banders.

    > If it is, how can I get hold of an unlockedquad band cell phone ?

    Ebay, TigerDirect. Many places.

    Also, check out:
    www.prepaidgsm.net
    nordicgroup.us/intlrate