Sign in with
Your question

3rd Generation Ivy Bridge for Laptops

Last response: in CPUs
June 12, 2012 5:18:24 AM

Hey guys,

I'll probably soon be on the move, and have to ditch my gaming rig (HD 6950, i5 and all that jazz) which has been a decent performer in nearly all of the games I threw at it. However, push comes to shove now, and I would have to settle for a laptop that would allow me some gaming mileage (I know laptop gaming is largely a farce, but I would really be grateful if I could use medium settings and some effects). Now, my question is,

1. Because mobility is a factor, Alienware, some of the Clevo lines and suchlike automatically disqualifies themselves. I was looking at an HP model, which is really sleek as has the following specs.

Proc - 3rd Generation Intel Core i5 processor 3317U (i.7 Ghz)

RAM - 6 GB DDR3

Graphics Card - HD 7690 1 GB

With resolutions at 1366 x 768 Pixels, my graphics card should be sufficient to play latest games in medium settings, with some games even allowing high settings with respectable frame-rates. What I am concerned about, however, is the processor with its measly 1.7Ghz speeds. Agreed, its a 3rd gen Core i5, but would it be a bottleneck, or would it come in the way of decent framerates?

Games I would play - Crysis 1, 2 and warhead, Borderlands 1 and 2, Dirt 2 and 3, Street Fighter 4, and (hopefully) BF3

Thanks for the help. Much appreciated, guys.
a c 186 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
June 12, 2012 5:42:53 AM

Optimally you're looking at a laptop with an i7-3610QM. What is your budget?
m
l
!