3rd Generation Ivy Bridge for Laptops

Hey guys,

I'll probably soon be on the move, and have to ditch my gaming rig (HD 6950, i5 and all that jazz) which has been a decent performer in nearly all of the games I threw at it. However, push comes to shove now, and I would have to settle for a laptop that would allow me some gaming mileage (I know laptop gaming is largely a farce, but I would really be grateful if I could use medium settings and some effects). Now, my question is,

1. Because mobility is a factor, Alienware, some of the Clevo lines and suchlike automatically disqualifies themselves. I was looking at an HP model, which is really sleek as has the following specs.

Proc - 3rd Generation Intel Core i5 processor 3317U (i.7 Ghz)

RAM - 6 GB DDR3

Graphics Card - HD 7690 1 GB

With resolutions at 1366 x 768 Pixels, my graphics card should be sufficient to play latest games in medium settings, with some games even allowing high settings with respectable frame-rates. What I am concerned about, however, is the processor with its measly 1.7Ghz speeds. Agreed, its a 3rd gen Core i5, but would it be a bottleneck, or would it come in the way of decent framerates?

Games I would play - Crysis 1, 2 and warhead, Borderlands 1 and 2, Dirt 2 and 3, Street Fighter 4, and (hopefully) BF3

Thanks for the help. Much appreciated, guys.
1 answer Last reply
More about generation bridge laptops
  1. Optimally you're looking at a laptop with an i7-3610QM. What is your budget?
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Laptops Gaming