XPS 8300 or Alienware x51 or ???

tcedwards92

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
Hello,
I am currently looking to buy a new computer. I own a 2 year old sony vaio (works fine but not very good for gaming and gets really hot really fast, good for checking email/writing papers) and a transformer prime. I want a desktop for gaming and watching netflix/dvds/etc. My price range is 900-1400 but cheaper is better. Ive first found the Alienware x51, sounds perfect for me, good size and has good solid specs for the price(im interested in the highest model) I recently came across the XPS 8300 and for around the same price i get the same thing as the X51 but with 4 more gbs of memory and a moniter/wireless keyboard/ wireless mouse. Also the XPS has 500 more gbs of space. Which is the better buy? Is the size of the X51 worth the better hardware of the XPS? I am a college student with divorced parents, so size does matter. Please help me choose one or suggest another?

kodysch

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
Well the better buy depends on your priorities, The XPS 8300 is a better system, plus it has more room for upgrading, if size is really important to you though, I guess the x51 would be a little easier to carry but not by much.
But you would really be best off with taking that budget and getting a better system that you could customize and build, and it's a great way to learn a lot about computers. I bought a dell xps studio in 2009 and it's still chug-a-lug'n but now when i'm looking to upgrade the oem parts and mobo are really a pain as upgrading is hard or not possible. Consider building your own and you could fit it to your needs without having to compromise.