Should I switch to intel or hold out for new amd processors?

dacca

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
Hi everyone, my main use for my pc is gaming but I do photo and video editing aswell.
my setup.

amd phenom 2 1100t@4ghz

8gb crucial ddr3 1333mhz

gigabyte 990fxa-ud7

sapphire 6970 (switching to nvidia for 3d)

xfx core edition 750

heres what is rattling me,

I know that the 2500k severely outperforms my processor and I also know this will aid me
when it comes to 3d!

However I have also just read that the next generation of amd processors will feature the
integrated graphics chip similar to the way the 2500k works.
Now I know this will be pure speculation at this point but will the new amd processors
theoretically out perform the 2500k?

I usually build my system on a budget hence why I stick with amd as this way I can upgrade
less frequently as they use the same socket from year to year whereas intel tend to switch
more.
Will my current system hold better value than a 2500k now that the 1100t has been discontinued?
Thanks everyone

aqe040466

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

Theoretically yes and in reality also. i5 2500K which has only 4 cores out performs AMD FX Bulldozer CPU with 8 cores. Read reviews and benchmarks so that you will have the actual grasp about their performances specially in gaming.

dacca

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
Im talking about the piledriver series of processors though, the bulldozer chips dont have an integrated graphics processor whereas some of the piledriver ones do. I cant find benchmarks because none exist yet, I was asking hypothetically

dacca

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
anyone care to get their 2 cents in? I cant really find any info on how the integrated graphics processor will help in applications so need someone a little more savvy and clued in to help me out

The only question to ask is really, "is it DEFINITELY worth upgrading to anything on the market NOW?" If the answer is yes, then do it. If not, then wait. Trying to balance currently available components against some as-yet-unknown future technology is going to accomplish nothing, other than driving you crazy.

If there are three things that the last few rounds of processors have taught us

1. You never know what's coming or whether it's going to live up to the hype;
2. If you bank on waiting for a new technology, you may be waiting for a LONG time;
3. There's ALWAYS something better 6 to 12 months out on the horizon.

dacca

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
I understand that, all I really want to know is whether it is worth waiting given that I have an am3+ system, or if the 2500k is quite clearly blowing everything out of the water for a while to come yet when it comes to mid range gaming systems.

The i5-2500k is definitely blowing everything out of the water right now, no doubt about it.

As for having an AM3+ system already, I'm not sure if that makes a difference, since Piledriver is supposed to be on the new FM2 socket. And as far as what's coming for AM3+, who knows if Bulldozer will ever develop into anything gaming-wise.

dacca

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
hmm, I never knew that! I thought that all future amd platforms would be am3+ for the forseeable future. Maybe I will switch to 2500k then

carnage0651

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012
My phillosophy on upgrading my computer is as follows
I upgrade only when my current equipment ceases to do what I built it for. I would suggest most people do the same.
I see you are on an AM3+ Build so there is a good chance you will see some more upgrade options in the future. That Hex core 1100T is still going to be a nice chip even a year from now. As for gaming... most games use the GPU way more then the CPU any way... my I7-990X yawns at most games and so do my previous chips. The photo editing stuff you do ... well, that I guess you have to decide how long you are willing to spend rendering frames. Chances are you will notice a dfferance.. but how much is that differance worth?
PS.
A SSD would be a big speed boost if you dont already have one and it wouldnt require you to replace a bunch of parts =)

Don't take it as gospel. I have heard it hinted that the processor-only version of Piledriver *MIGHT* continue to use AM3+, but the Llano-style version of Piledriver will use FM2. Have also heard they'll have an FM1 version. Basically, their plans keep changing, so it's hard to know exactly what's coming.

Since you have a nice board right now and it's difficult to nail down what the future holds even in terms of compatibility, it's a tough call.

dacca

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
I hate being in this position, im getting a gtx 580 soon as 3d is hugely important for me, if my rig struggles with that then I think the extra performance I will get out of a 2500k OC is definitely worth looking into. Any guesses on whether the 2500k will hold value well? I know that intel usually seem to lose value quicker than amd as amd price so much lower in the first place

You can't sell a used system for near new anymore, whether it's Intel or amd. Intel is easier to sell than amd, but you'll still take a big hit selling anything used. So I would wait for Ivy bridge if you don't want to build again for awhile.

dacca

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
I know that the 1100t now discontinued sells for a lot more than I bought it for. I have been reading around and amd intend to use am3+ for at least another 2 years, as I have the best am3+ board you can get I am just going to make do. Im hoping piledriver can win back some points for amd! but we will see, I know I wont be eager to sell my 1100t in a hurry though.