Does anyone know if Microsoft or a third-party peripheral company makes a
device designed to split the A/V output? Sony makes one for the PS/PS2,
which allows me to send the signal to a television and also to a capture
card on the PC at the same time. I haven't been able to find something
similar for the Xbox. I have the S-video and component video "packs." If I
want to take screenshots, I have to play the game through the capture
program, which is less than optimal--sort of like trying to move across the
dance floor with a strobe light.

If no videogame company makes one, does Radio Shack have such a thing? The
only thing I found using a Google search was an RF splitter.

Thanks,

Mark

Android <androvich@nocomcastspam.net> wrote:
> Does anyone know if Microsoft or a third-party peripheral company makes a
> device designed to split the A/V output? Sony makes one for the PS/PS2,
> which allows me to send the signal to a television and also to a capture
> card on the PC at the same time. I haven't been able to find something
> similar for the Xbox. I have the S-video and component video "packs." If I
> want to take screenshots, I have to play the game through the capture
> program, which is less than optimal--sort of like trying to move across the
> dance floor with a strobe light.

So...you want to split the output from your console so that it goes into
your TV and computer's video capture card at the same time?

Why can't you just get a y-cable splitter for the video connection? That
way the signal will go to both the computer and TV at the same time. (I
assume you don't need the sound to go to the computer since you're just
taking screenshots.) They make Y-cable connectors for both RCA and
S-video cables. Obviously you'll need 3 separate splitters for component
video - assuming your cap-card can take component. Otherwise it probably
uses s-video, or at worst, composite video (yes, this would mean you'd
have to use composite video to hook up your XBox to your TV...)

"Doug Jacobs" <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote in message
> Android <androvich@nocomcastspam.net> wrote:
> > Does anyone know if Microsoft or a third-party peripheral company makes
> > device designed to split the A/V output? Sony makes one for the PS/PS2,
> > which allows me to send the signal to a television and also to a capture
> > card on the PC at the same time. I haven't been able to find something
> > similar for the Xbox. I have the S-video and component video "packs."
If I
> > want to take screenshots, I have to play the game through the capture
> > program, which is less than optimal--sort of like trying to move across
the
> > dance floor with a strobe light.
>
> So...you want to split the output from your console so that it goes into
> your TV and computer's video capture card at the same time?
>
> Why can't you just get a y-cable splitter for the video connection? That
> way the signal will go to both the computer and TV at the same time. (I
> assume you don't need the sound to go to the computer since you're just
> taking screenshots.) They make Y-cable connectors for both RCA and
> S-video cables. Obviously you'll need 3 separate splitters for component
> video - assuming your cap-card can take component. Otherwise it probably
> uses s-video, or at worst, composite video (yes, this would mean you'd
> have to use composite video to hook up your XBox to your TV...)

D'oh! Yeah, I meant to say "video splitter," since I only need to send the
audio one place (to the television). I did see that Radio Shack sold RCA
Y-cables, but they were 2 females to 1 male, not 1 female to 2 males as I
need. I'd prefer to use S-video, if I can find one of those. But I never
thought of using three separate RCA Y cables for component video...thanks
for the suggestion.

Try asking over at http://www.hdtvarcade.com

"Android" <androvich@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote in message
> Does anyone know if Microsoft or a third-party peripheral company makes a
> device designed to split the A/V output? Sony makes one for the PS/PS2,
> which allows me to send the signal to a television and also to a capture
> card on the PC at the same time. I haven't been able to find something
> similar for the Xbox. I have the S-video and component video "packs." If
> want to take screenshots, I have to play the game through the capture
> program, which is less than optimal--sort of like trying to move across
> the
> dance floor with a strobe light.
>
> If no videogame company makes one, does Radio Shack have such a thing?
> The
> only thing I found using a Google search was an RF splitter.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark

Android <androvich@nocomcastspam.net> wrote:

> D'oh! Yeah, I meant to say "video splitter," since I only need to send the
> audio one place (to the television). I did see that Radio Shack sold RCA
> Y-cables, but they were 2 females to 1 male, not 1 female to 2 males as I
> need. I'd prefer to use S-video, if I can find one of those. But I never
> thought of using three separate RCA Y cables for component video...thanks
> for the suggestion.

Well, you could just get the Y-cable, with gender-benders, but then your
connectors will be longer than your cable (yes, I've seen this happen with
SCSI - we had 6" of convertors held together with tape and rubber bands!)

Anyways, for component, I'm using a 2-way composite video switch. RCA is
RCA, so the 3 cables from my DVD player and PS2 work fine. I don't need
to worry about audio since the DVD player is only connected to the decoder
using the TOSLink Y-connector with the PS2. The PS2's stereo connectors
are also connected to my TV for times I don't want to bother with the
decoder.

TRENDING THREADS