Operating System: Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14
HDD: Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" 128GB
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB
GPU: EVGA 03G-P3-1595-AR GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) Classified ULTRA 3072MB
Power Supply: COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Gold Series RSA00-80GAD3-US 1000W ATX
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB)

I went about building the computer about a month ago and from square one it gave me problems. I've slowly worked through those problems until now I have a (mostly) stable system. The problem is that after either just starting, or playing games for some time, the game will just crash to the desktop. Originally I figured that perhaps it was overheating, yet after monitoring temperatures I saw the GPU never really exceeded 48C before a crash which seems to rule out overheating. My second theory was that the latest Nvidia drivers were buggy, so I tried rolling them back with a clean install from 295.73 to 285.62 and the problem persisted, now including an error stating "display driver nvidia windows kernel mode driver, version 285.62 stoped responding and has successfully recovered" and so I decided to go ahead and clean install the drivers again and go back to the 295.73.

As for the problems that were prior to this new problem, I brought the computer to a friend of mine who ran some hardware diagnostic software and stated that all the hardware in the machine was fully functioning.

So here I stand, I'm not really sure whether I have a simple fix or a GPU that's going out. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of a next test or any helpful advice. Feel free to ask me for anything I may have left out that will be helpful in the diagnosis of this issue.

Thanks in advance

stevandv

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2012
Do you have access to another video card to try out? If its not the drivers or overheating. You don't have any problems with games completely crashing your computer do you? Its only crashing to desktop? If it crashes completely id suggest maby testing your PSU. Maby take your RAM out and put them in 1 at a time.

tcarney401

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
@hpdeskjet I can try to borrow my friend's PSU to test it out over the weekend. And I've run the extended version of Memtest about a week ago (The one that takes several hours) and it came back with no errors or crashes.

@stevandv I can try to get my friend's video card as well. They don't completely crash my computer anymore (That was a previous problem but that has now been resolved). They now just crash to the desktop.

aqe040466

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

Are you using an aftermarket CPU cooler(air/liquid) or a stock CPU cooler that came with your CPU in the box?

aqe040466

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

I came across to read one feedback about getting BSOD on PC using Crucial M4 SSD's and they try to update the firmware and solved the problem. So try updating the firmware of your SSD and see what happens.

tcarney401

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
It seems the stability is in and out since occasionally I can stress the system for a good hour or so without problems just to randomly encounter one. Those temps were after a good 15 minutes of gaming. I have not run prime95 yet. I'm also not getting BSOD's with my crashes, games are merely crashing to the desktop.

aqe040466

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

So it might be a hardware issue like GPU. Try another GPU to eliminate the problem.

tcarney401

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
Okay, sorry about the delay but it took a few days for me to find a GPU to test. Immediately after putting a new GPU in the problems subsided, so I put my GTX 580 Classified Ultra back in and got an immediate BSOD followed by the same issues I was having previously. Now I'm going to call up EVGA support and try to talk this through with them and see if it's a known issue or if it's just faulty.