Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Gtx
  • Gaming
  • Monitors
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 26, 2011 2:57:48 AM

I'm thinking about upgrading my outdated gaming PC so i can run League of Legends and/or Diablo 3 on my 55" LED LCD.

Here's what I'm considering atm: MSI P67 vs Z68 mobo, i5 2500, GeForce GTX 560 Ti GPU, 8GB ram

I'm also considering attaching an extra monitor so i can have LoL builds or other stuff visible while in game (not necessarily interacting with it though due to the full-screen requirements of LoL and presumably D3).

How much impact will these scenarios have on the primary (TV) performance?
GTX 560 Ti running primary (TV) + secondary (monitor)
Z68 onboard graphics running secondary (monitor) with GTX 560 Ti running primary (TV)
GTX 560 Ti running primary (TV) + 9800 GTX running secondary (monitor)

What would be the difference in impact? Pros/Cons of different options?

Thanks!

More about : multi display gaming question

December 26, 2011 3:58:25 AM

GTX 560 will handle everything just fine. Your scenarios are flawed anyways. You can't run the onboard and GTX at the same time. If you run the 9800 with the 560 what you'll get is a sort of f'ed up SLI that only cripples your 560's performance (the drivers don't handle that thing kind of well).
m
l
December 26, 2011 12:39:33 PM

jdog2pt0 said:
GTX 560 will handle everything just fine. Your scenarios are flawed anyways. You can't run the onboard and GTX at the same time. If you run the 9800 with the 560 what you'll get is a sort of f'ed up SLI that only cripples your 560's performance (the drivers don't handle that thing kind of well).

Are you sure you can't run the onboard and GTX at the same time? This seems contrary to what i've read elsewhere and to how my current mobo functions.

Also, could someone explain how it cripples the 560 (i'm just curious)? Is it something to do with dropping it to 8x instead of 16x (i read something like that elsewhere)?

Thanks for the reply!
m
l
Related resources
a c 291 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
December 26, 2011 12:58:32 PM

Yes you can run desktop from onboard graphics at the same time as running the game on your GTX 560 Ti. It works.
m
l
December 26, 2011 10:38:36 PM

Sunius said:
Yes you can run desktop from onboard graphics at the same time as running the game on your GTX 560 Ti. It works.

Well if that's the case, then more power to you. I've never owned a mobo with onboard, but everything I know about computers tells me it shouldn't be. I guess though, that newer ones might have that feature available. Honest to god, I don't know why you're going to this much trouble. Just run it all off the 560. The card has plenty of horsepower, and you aren't going to see any frame loss especially with those two games.
m
l
December 26, 2011 11:25:49 PM

gonna go with the 560 ti running both...if i don't like it, i'll just not use the dual monitors

thanks for the help!
m
l
!