Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Code 5 Error for fresh installation of Windows 7

Last response: in Windows 7
a b $ Windows 7
January 12, 2010 12:24:22 AM

I'm having Athlon XP 2000+, 1 Gig Ram, GA-7VKMP-P,Seagate 80GB (7 Yrs old build) running with Windows Pro XPSP3

Last Saturday, I tried to install the Windows 7 Professional ( Downloaded from MSDN). When tried to boot from DVD it said " Windows Cannot Boot From this drive. CODE- 5".
I tried from my another DVD drive. Same Error. :( 
Changed all possible jumper settings for HDD and DVD-RW's ( All IDE) as Pri- master/Slave, Sec Master/Slave. Nothing Worked. :( 

Also I tried with another copy of Win 7 Home Premium came with my Dell Laptop (Worked fine for fresh installation in my laptop). Still same Error. :( 

But I'm able to install both Windows 7 Home Premium and Professional in the same system, starting installation from XP (Not Booting from DVD).

Now I installed Windows 7 Pro as I said and after that I deleted Windows.old folder. All running fine.

With some curiosity, I tried to boot again from DVD drive with Windows 7 Dvd, same Error :(  , even after installing Windows 7.
Till now I don't Know how to perform a clean installation of Windows 7 in my system.

Anybody experienced same. Please Help!!!
January 12, 2010 12:47:15 AM

saran008 said:
I'm having Athlon XP 2000+, 1 Gig Ram, GA-7VKMP-P,Seagate 80GB (7 Yrs old build) running with Windows Pro XPSP3

Last Saturday, I tried to install the Windows 7 Professional ( Downloaded from MSDN). When tried to boot from DVD it said " Windows Cannot Boot From this drive. CODE- 5".
I tried from my another DVD drive. Same Error. :( 
Changed all possible jumper settings for HDD and DVD-RW's ( All IDE) as Pri- master/Slave, Sec Master/Slave. Nothing Worked. :( 

Also I tried with another copy of Win 7 Home Premium came with my Dell Laptop (Worked fine for fresh installation in my laptop). Still same Error. :( 

But I'm able to install both Windows 7 Home Premium and Professional in the same system, starting installation from XP (Not Booting from DVD).

Now I installed Windows 7 Pro as I said and after that I deleted Windows.old folder. All running fine.

With some curiosity, I tried to boot again from DVD drive with Windows 7 Dvd, same Error :(  , even after installing Windows 7.
Till now I don't Know how to perform a clean installation of Windows 7 in my system.

Anybody experienced same. Please Help!!!

It is a possiblity that the disk itself is not bootable. The installation process from within the OS is a slightly different story as the installation executable is running from within Windows!
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 12, 2010 1:04:17 AM

This is probably a problem with your BIOS settings; maybe a BIOS update might fix this problem. Check very carefully the BIOS settings also try clearing the CMOS RAM.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
January 12, 2010 1:58:22 AM

elmo2006 said:
It is a possiblity that the disk itself is not bootable. The installation process from within the OS is a slightly different story as the installation executable is running from within Windows!

Thanks for help ;) 
My Windows 7 home professional disk is bootbable. I know it, as I did clean installation in my Laptop.

I tried the MSDN downloaded disk in my laptop. It is also booting with laptop.

So Both discs are bootable. :( 
May be some other problem. ;(
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 12, 2010 2:01:46 AM

pjmelect said:
This is probably a problem with your BIOS settings; maybe a BIOS update might fix this problem. Check very carefully the BIOS settings also try clearing the CMOS RAM.

Thanks for advice ;) 

I'm having latest BIOS update applicable for my board F5(Version). :( 

I'm a bit new to play with CMOS. What's that CMOS RAM? Could you please explain?
m
l

Best solution

a c 215 $ Windows 7
January 12, 2010 3:23:33 AM
a b $ Windows 7
January 12, 2010 3:54:39 AM

Thanks for the advice!

I'll try this and reply soon ;) 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 13, 2010 12:54:58 AM

I don’t think that the error message “code 5 “ is a Windows error as I have never encountered it before, and believe me I have seen virtually every Windows error message in my time, so the error message must be being generated by your motherboard. So assuming that the disc is in fact bootable on another system the problem must be in the BIOS. This could be due to buggy BIOS, BIOS settings or CMOS RAM data corrupt..
To clear the CMOS RAM you should turn of the power, wait for a minute or so and momentary link two pins together (check your motherboard manual for details).
Thinking about it some more you should double check that the disc is bootable on another computer.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 13, 2010 1:03:49 AM

Hi pjmelect,
Thanks for reply! i'll check it tomorrow and reply for this
i'm pretty sure that the disc is bootable,as the windows7 home premium is provided by DELL with my laptop.
i'd checked both discs with my friend's new core2 quad +intel original mobo build, both are booting fine ;)  :( .
Lemme check and reply.
Thanks ;) 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 27, 2010 1:44:24 AM

Best answer selected by saran008.
m
l
February 2, 2010 7:30:47 PM

This is indeed a BIOS problem.
I have it on my Asrock GE PRO-HT v1.02.

One way to go around the Code 5 problem is to first install Vista and then from there
do an upgrade to W7.

A better way is to aquire a VistaPE disk, by either downloading it or by building it
from your existing Vista DVD. Hint; downloading it is faster.

Once the VistaPE CD is burnt you can boot with it, replace it with the W7 DVD and
from the VistaPE desktop double click on the W7 setup program.

Your W7 setup program will copy some files to the hard drive and make it bootable.
The installation will continue in the ordinary way after a reboot. The result is a
clean W7 installation.

One could probably do something with Puppy Linux, like writing a script that copies
the relevant W7 files to their respective locations, but that's for another day.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 2, 2010 11:54:11 PM

Thanks for your reply Galileo!
Your help is very much appreciated ! :) 
m
l
!