Monitoring Temp, Output, Overclocking

nfarnham2001

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
Hello,

I own an HP a6203w Desktop, with 4 gigs of ram, a Thermaltake TR2 430W PSU, and an ATI Radeon 5450 1Gig graphics card. The card is fanless and operates off of the PCI slots power. I am curious as to what free software/apps I can get for my computer/desktop that I can use to watch/monitor the temperature of the card, output of it, and possible what I need to know about the catalyst control center, I'm completely new to this and this is my first video card setup.

Can I overclock it at all?
Also, how about monitor for CPU temp?
Any other key components of my PC that I should have a monitoring system for temperature and output setup?
If so where to download?

Thanks for all the help.

nfarnham2001

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
Okay, what is the ideal temp for all of my stuff to be at, Cpu, gpu etc, also i have an open spot at the back bottom of my pc for what looks to be a large fan (it is a large mesh covering with screw holes and nothing there. idk much about fans, would it just be pulling hot air out of case? Only other fan I have is CPU fan. It is a quiet system.

DM186

Splendid
Your temps should at idle should be around 30c to 35c for GPU and CPU. Now depending on the size of your case you should have one fan blowing out hot air and a fan putting in cold.

I have 7 case fan's to run in my rig 3 of them to exspell hot air out and 4 to bring cold air in. My Temps on cpu and gpu run idle at 25c but I also have water cooling for my CPU. When I game My GPU Temps get up to 60c to 70c My CPU gets 50c to 60c max.

I would be thinking about getting a expanston fan that plugs in to a slot like your card is now and it will just blow on your card or up grade your card to something better. And if you want to do that we can adress that later.

nfarnham2001

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
Okay, I did the software and it comes out at 50 to 53 C at idle, I haven't tested the load yet. Isn't that a bit high? I know I'm getting a fan for the rear of the case, what else can I do? Considering cost is a problem and I only have this PSU and GPU because I got them for christmas. Sigh. I don't want this stuff to overheat or die when I just got them. Is there anyway to rig a failsafe for my comp to shutdown under high heat?

DM186

Splendid

No you can't. I am talking about the rear of your computer the slots back there. Here is an example that I am talking about.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835119097

Your temps are not normal at idle they should be at the very most 40c. So when you game they are going to be higher than you want. Also make sure all of the dust is cleaned out Then figure out what size fans you need but after looking at your Hp on line I think the biggest fan you can get is 120mm but you can try to get 80mm would be your best bet. You really need air flow.

I have had to learn the hard way with my Dell inspiron 580. I burned out my GT 220 and almost my i3 CPU. I now have a Gt 430 in it but I don't game with it just photo's and stuff like that. I game with this one I am on now.

nfarnham2001

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
Yeah i am going to take time today to redo the idle and load test. I will do a test under load with WoW on max, and then Duke Nukem Forever on max, and see where that gets me. On testing at idle, check it at PC startup, after it has been idling for how long? Also, why the 80mm fan? besides that one fan for the expansion slot, what else can I do that is cheap? How much power will that draw from my PSU? (sorry about all the questions I'm just trying to cover ALL my bases because I can't have this thing burn up.

DM186

Splendid
There is also another thing with MSI afterburner it is called MSI Kombustor. You can go back to there web site and down load it to help benchmark and test your GPU. I use it all the time and it gives you the numbers more right on.

nfarnham2001

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
Okay and on the afterburner it has a fan speed control even though I have a heatsink on my video card. I just did it under load on both games and the peak at full settings for 30 minutes of play full screen was 74 C. Should i max out the fan speed before I go into gaming? Nothing is overclocked at all.

DM186

Splendid

Hey will looking good allso in the property's on afterburner set the fan chart to increace as the temps rise like setting way points so you don't have to do it by hand.

DM186

Splendid
Oh that sucks well just watch your temps at all times or mabe you can get a fan that fits in a slot like your pci slots. Go and look under newegg.com under cooling you will find one for about 12 dollars. I saw one today on there. sorry about the fan heat sink thing. good luck to you

nfarnham2001

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
Okay, on another subject entirely, what would be the next good step up from that video card that I could fit and run in that PC? How about overclocking that card once I have proper cooling measures? Is there a large benefit to overclock? Also my processor, will it risk bottlenecking at only 2.3ghz Dual Core? I have thought about getting a new MoBo/CPU

DM186

Splendid
There isn't much more you can do. To get a card that you can OC you need a better PSU and CPU. But for what you have a 6570 or a 6670 would be the most but I am not sure about the bottlenecking and OC.

If you are going to do all the changes maybe you should look into a new build. Any bigger cards will bottleneck and burn your system up. I have three links you can look at. Maybe they might be of some help

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-6570-radeon-hd-6670-turks,2925-2.html

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/amd-radeon-hd-6000/hd-6670/Pages/amd-radeon-hd-6670-overview.aspx#3

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fastest-graphics-card-radeon-geforce,3067-7.html

DM186

Splendid

I would be worried to. Get the 12.00 dollar expantion fan I linked you to but you can take the side of your case off and put a desk fan and point it at your GPU that should help you bring dowm the Temps. Your GPU wasn't ment to play those types of games but it can and Is done all the time.

TRENDING THREADS