Building a new PC?

Zenosphere

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
I have been looking to build myself a new PC, and realizing that there will be new product lines coming out fairly soon, I just have been curious as to what I should really get. A budget I'm setting myself for this PC would be around $1,500-$2,000 and I don't need a new monitor, as I have a 27in Samsung LED backlit one that I absolutely adore. I'm fairly confirmed in the case, but I don't know what else I would get. Seeing as some of the products haven't come out yet, it's only approx. what I would want, as I am mainly making this computer for gaming.
Case - HAF 932 Advanced
PSU - 700-800 Watt (modular preferrably)
RAM 16Gb Corsair Vengeance 1600 MHz
Mobo - Preferably something with more PCI-express slots for expansion later?
CPU - Intel i7-3770K (Want the O.C. ability)
HDD - 2x 2tb Western Digital Green Caviar
GFX Card - Nvidia 670-680 (EVGA edition)

Possible liquid cooling, but I just don't know.

My main need for extreme HDD space is for recording w/ FRAPS, and then rendering as well. Would this be overkill though? Recommendations on the PSU are appreciated, as well as on anything else.

ccbad

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
Nice selection but the 670/680 will cost a lot. I also suggest not green caviar drives, just seagate barracuda drives @ 7200 RPM. an SSD as the main drive would be good. Possibly a patriot wildfire? OCZ agility 3? Idk, frankly, your choice. Wildfire is fast, but expensive. Oh and a viotech V2 700w PSU will work, just don't put all drives on one strip of sata power(learned that the hard way, fried a hard drive, it was on fire.) if your O.C.ing then get water cooling.

VistaVendetta

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
I recommend you get an SSD, and maybe wait a few months in April you'll be able to get the Corsair Obsidian 550D case which has as good if not better airflow than the HAF and is also built to be quiet case at the same price as HAF 932 Advanced.

Zenosphere

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
How much quieter of a case would it be? Not only do I like the fact of the good airflow, while it may not be the best, but I like how the case looks as well (HAF 932). Mainly there, it's a personal preference, as usually when I'm on my computer, I will have earphones/headset on, so the sound from my PC wouldn't bother me much.

Is there anything particularly wrong with the green caviar drives? I think a ssd would make a good addition to this pc as well, but my main thing about it is going to be what size would be good, and the read and write speeds/failures. I took a peek at the latest article on this website about SSD's, the best one for the money, and it definitely seemed as though the Muhskin Chronos Deluxe had some good prices and read/write speeds. I won't immediately go with the top of the line Nvidia 670-680, not until they come out and see the specs and comparison to other cards out there. While it would be nice to have either of those cards, I may not get one. It all depends on how they perform in real world applications, and comparison. How many drives did you have on that sata power strip? Do you have any recommendations for the liquid cooling? That is something that I've been researching about recently, and I don't know where I will start.

I have the Samsung Syncmaster Series 3 S27A350H

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001481

My Sentey case has fans that make it sound like an Airplane taking off. Although, I personally never found loud fans in a computer particularly annoying.

I run a fan in my bedroom when I sleep year round for the ambient noise anyway.

As far as SSD drives, as far as I'm concerned, its a bit early for me to jump on that bandwagon, I'm waiting for more price drops as they become more common. Buying new technology, been there done that. I was one of the first people to have a portable MP3 player, Audiovox offered a whopping 32MB (megabytes) expandable to 64MB.. Cost like 200 bucks. Let me tell ya, I could fit a whole 10 songs on there!

Zenosphere

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
Yeah I'm no different with the ambient noise and having the fan on. I haven't noticed it really when I'm sitting here next to it, and with how this case is right now, it may as well be open. The price does seem to be going down, and same with the hard drives (Finally). Aww yeah 64 MB of space, and 10 whole songs! It's like a mobile record!

Yea, and the 64mb was only if you bought a 50 dollar MMC flash card. LOL, no I never did.

At the time it was cutting edge though. Sony had those Minidisk things out I really liked those but I had a feeling they wouldn't last., or a portable CD player (went thru one of those every 6 months- I was in high school at the time). Thats why I'm not ready to jump on the SSDs, for the performance they offer and what my computer needs are, I just can't justify it quite yet. I know some heavy gamers want the zippy performance, but for me SSD is purely a luxury item.