Defining legal character set for folder/file names

October 1, 2004 9:45:25 AM

Is there any way to redefine legal character-set for naming folder or
file names? In our enterprise, many of our Windows machines are used
in Unix environment. It will be desirable to define a global
charater-set that excludes characters like Space, Tab, $ etc.

Thanks,
Vinod
Anonymous
October 2, 2004 4:09:09 AM

If you use posix tools you can create unix names. But posix was removed in XP leaving only Windows (OS/2 was removed in Win 2000). Windows can't use illegal windows filenames. NT itself is agnostic. So you need to find a program that will as windows programs won't. This also means windows program's can't use an windows illegal named file.

This means it needs to be a NT native program (like chkdsk on startup), which is not documented but has been reversed engineered.

http://www.uscricket.com
"Vinod Gupta" <vrak58@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:30b8645c.0410010445.383bd9b9@posting.google.com...
> Is there any way to redefine legal character-set for naming folder or
> file names? In our enterprise, many of our Windows machines are used
> in Unix environment. It will be desirable to define a global
> charater-set that excludes characters like Space, Tab, $ etc.
>
> Thanks,
> Vinod
Anonymous
October 2, 2004 4:09:10 AM

Essentially, what you are saying is "No way" with native tools in XP.

Vinod

"David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message news:<ul$i1D8pEHA.3800@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>...
> If you use posix tools you can create unix names. But posix was removed
> in XP leaving only Windows (OS/2 was removed in Win 2000). Windows can't
> use illegal windows filenames. NT itself is agnostic. So you need to
> find a program that will as windows programs won't. This also means
> windows program's can't use an windows illegal named file.
>
> This means it needs to be a NT native program (like chkdsk on startup),
> which is not documented but has been reversed engineered.

> http://www.uscricket.com
> "Vinod Gupta" <vrak58@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Is there any way to redefine legal character-set for naming folder or
> > file names? In our enterprise, many of our Windows machines are used
> > in Unix environment. It will be desirable to define a global
> > charater-set that excludes characters like Space, Tab, $ etc.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Vinod
Anonymous
October 2, 2004 8:10:49 PM