Defining legal character set for folder/file names

Is there any way to redefine legal character-set for naming folder or
file names? In our enterprise, many of our Windows machines are used
in Unix environment. It will be desirable to define a global
charater-set that excludes characters like Space, Tab, $ etc.

Thanks,
Vinod
3 answers Last reply
More about defining legal character folder file names

    If you use posix tools you can create unix names. But posix was removed in XP leaving only Windows (OS/2 was removed in Win 2000). Windows can't use illegal windows filenames. NT itself is agnostic. So you need to find a program that will as windows programs won't. This also means windows program's can't use an windows illegal named file.

    This means it needs to be a NT native program (like chkdsk on startup), which is not documented but has been reversed engineered.

    http://www.uscricket.com
    "Vinod Gupta" <vrak58@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:30b8645c.0410010445.383bd9b9@posting.google.com...
    > Is there any way to redefine legal character-set for naming folder or
    > file names? In our enterprise, many of our Windows machines are used
    > in Unix environment. It will be desirable to define a global
    > charater-set that excludes characters like Space, Tab, $ etc.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Vinod

    Essentially, what you are saying is "No way" with native tools in XP.

    Vinod

    "David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message news:<ul$i1D8pEHA.3800@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>...
    > If you use posix tools you can create unix names. But posix was removed
    > in XP leaving only Windows (OS/2 was removed in Win 2000). Windows can't
    > use illegal windows filenames. NT itself is agnostic. So you need to
    > find a program that will as windows programs won't. This also means
    > windows program's can't use an windows illegal named file.
    >
    > This means it needs to be a NT native program (like chkdsk on startup),
    > which is not documented but has been reversed engineered.

    > http://www.uscricket.com
    > "Vinod Gupta" <vrak58@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Is there any way to redefine legal character-set for naming folder or
    > > file names? In our enterprise, many of our Windows machines are used
    > > in Unix environment. It will be desirable to define a global
    > > charater-set that excludes characters like Space, Tab, $ etc.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Vinod

    That correct.

    http://www.uscricket.com