Sign in with
Your question

Building My first pc at 14

Last response: in Systems
February 24, 2012 10:54:49 AM

Hello, My name is preston and I'm very interested in building a pc. Heres what I've hunted down so far.
AS rock conroe x fire esataII motherboard
250gb green seagate SATA 7200rpm hard drive
Core 2 duo 2.4 ghz or Core 2 quad not sure depends If I get a different motherboard
8gb DDR3 corsair ram 4x2 sticks
Nvidia Ge force 9500 gt 1gb direct x 10

I need help picking a case and powersupply and maybe a decent cd/dvd drive. If te motherboard I listed sucks please suggest a different one. Also help me decide core 2 duo or core 2 quad???!!!

I'm on a tight budget so low prices are preferred. But I can handle about 100$

More about : building

February 24, 2012 11:03:54 AM

That's a case, power supply and optical drive for $100?

How much are you paying for each of your other parts? They're kinda old to be putting in a new build.
m
l
February 24, 2012 11:03:59 AM

Hey Preston.

If you can get a C2Q, i would highly recommend that over a C2Duo.

As for PSU a decent 500w+ would be perfect.

The case, i would recommend Antec Darkfleet DF 30. its not a massive case but it looks evil and isn't over priced.

=P
m
l
Related resources
February 24, 2012 11:26:27 AM

silverliquicity said:
Hey Preston.

If you can get a C2Q, i would highly recommend that over a C2Duo.

As for PSU a decent 500w+ would be perfect.

The case, i would recommend Antec Darkfleet DF 30. its not a massive case but it looks evil and isn't over priced.

=P

After owning an antec Df-85 I can tell you that the Df series and antec in general are very nice looking cases and have very good cooling however after changing to the corsair 600t I realised theres alot of things wrong with them (and most cases for that matter); the right hand side panel to mobo tray gap is far far too small, the hdd cages push you to really work for a clean looking build, having them side facing is so much better, the holes for cable management arnt in the optimal positions.

I cant say I dislike the antec cases, I absolutely love the looks but I just think that they are a little lacking on the internal functionality aspects.
m
l
February 24, 2012 11:27:00 AM

If you haven't brought any of the parts I'd suggest posting the full budget.

The 775 socket is dead
The motherboard only supports DDR2 which has had its peak and is now expensive
The green harddrives are terrible for general use (installing the OS and applications)
The 9500GT is a very low end card, don't let the 1gb fool you.
m
l
February 24, 2012 11:02:11 PM

Well I have a case but it doesn't have side panels so don't know how that's going to work how ever I'm not going to use the As rock anymore it doesn't have quad core support going to buy this ASUS M3N78 PRO AM2+ GF8300 DDR2 HDMI MOTHERBOARD HIGH DEFINITION AUDIO then gonna get a AMD phenom II X4 processor. ram 4gb of DDR2 I know it's outdated But i really don't care lol. Hard drive is Sun 400GB 7200RPM SATA 1.5Gb/s 8MB Cache 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
not sure about ram need 8gb DDR2 for cheap.

need case and cd drive/dvd drive

Like I said I need a cheap affordable cd drive and case and a powersupply.

Budget is 154$ can earn more but generally speaking only 154$

m
l
February 24, 2012 11:27:29 PM

What didn't you like about the CM Elite case, Antec NEO ECO 400C PSU and LG DVD burner listed above?
m
l
February 25, 2012 12:10:05 AM

I would earn more, if you can get your total budget to even $500, you can build yourself a great PC with current hardware rather than stuff that is a couple generations old. You will be much happier with the end result if you do so.
m
l
February 25, 2012 3:45:24 AM

Umm I really don't require the "latest and greatest" Just the parts I listed are they ok for a system that will last two years before I upgrade it?

And yes I did like the link abuot the case and powersupply and cd drive thank you:) 
m
l
February 25, 2012 6:50:17 AM

Ok I've been doing some research and I'm gonna stick with the quad here is my complete list of parts to buy see if you approve.

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8gb DDR3 RAM 2X4gb Dual memory 240 pin.
PSU:Hercules Black ATX Dual Fan 600w Silent Power Supply Unit
MotherBoard:Biostar G41D3C Core 2 Quad Intel G41 DDR3 MATX Board MB
Processor:Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4 ghz Processor Q6600 SLACR
Hard Drive:Lot of 2 SUN 250 Gb 7200 RPM SATA 1.5 gb/s 8mb Cache 3.5 inch Hard Drive
Video Card:Galaxy technology NVIDIA Geforce 210 1 GB DDR2 (DVI, VGA, HDMI) video card
Sony Optiarc AD-7710H-01 DVD/CD Rewritable Drive

If you fell that I need to get better equipment please share with me :)  And I'm still looking for a case the one you guys mentioned looked very nice I may Buy it.

For Cd drive and DVD drive I'm iffy Idk if that's what I should Purchase.

Please tell me your thoughts on this new Computer Build. I think it's darn good for how much I'm paying.
m
l
February 25, 2012 7:13:27 AM

How much money do you have left? By the way I built my system a few months ago when I was 13, and I was able to get this money by selling things to people through craigslist and the help of my parents. Do you have any spare things that you do not use and you can sell to earn more money? Then you could get a much faster computer and not have to upgrade for the next 5 years!
m
l
February 25, 2012 7:33:39 AM

I've tried selling used things they just dont sell and I want to knoe if the parts I listed are decent :) 
m
l
February 25, 2012 8:27:30 AM

pdizzle said:
I've tried selling used things they just dont sell and I want to knoe if the parts I listed are decent :) 

For general use, yes.

For gaming, you need a bigger budget.
m
l
February 25, 2012 8:54:30 AM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
m
l
February 25, 2012 3:27:06 PM

Well I mean is it good enough to play starcraft 2??
m
l
!