Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Date/Time settings not holding.

Last response: in Systems
February 25, 2012 9:32:40 AM

Hello,
My computer is 2,5 years old.I changed over from Vista to Win.7.In BIOS menu i have set the Date/Time pressed F10( save settings and exit).After that Date and Time appear correct on the screen. But after every new start i get the message CMOS Date/Time not Set,Pressing F1 gives again 12h 2002.with the vista there was no prpblem with time and date, so it can not be the battery.Wat can i do to keep the date/time.
Otto
a b B Homebuilt system
February 25, 2012 10:47:59 AM

Windows has nothing to do with CMOS or the battery. If it is not retaining it's memory, it is either the battery or CMOS has become corrupted somehow which would require reflashing the BIOS.
m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
February 25, 2012 11:10:24 AM

+1 to tlmck

time to replace the CMOS battery
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
February 25, 2012 11:15:34 AM

It is the battery, be thankful you don't have mine to replace

half underneath a 2" Northbridge heatsink and requires a half hour to replace :p 
**Edit Fan normally has blades cooling the waterblock, I took it off so you could see the battery**
Moto
m
l
February 25, 2012 11:38:03 AM

I will also say its the CMOS battery/possible corrupted flash on the bios. Another thing you should check is the windows time, go to the internet time box and make sure windows isn't set to sync with an internet time server. Depending on your bios and software on your PC (something that allows you to modify some BIOS settings wile in windows) there is a possibility that windows time sync could be conflicting with your BIOS time and causing this. Ive seen it in the past but im not sure what brand motherboard it was.
m
l
February 26, 2012 1:35:24 PM

tlmck said:
Windows has nothing to do with CMOS or the battery. If it is not retaining it's memory, it is either the battery or CMOS has become corrupted somehow which would require reflashing the BIOS.

Thanks for your interest in my problem, but how can i reflash the BIOS.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 26, 2012 1:48:22 PM

The first step is to check the battery,
if that is not the solution then we can look at flashing the bios,
we'll need to know your motherboard manufacturer and model for that though
Cpu-z will tell you if you don't know already
Moto
m
l
February 27, 2012 1:13:21 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
The first step is to check the battery,
if that is not the solution then we can look at flashing the bios,
we'll need to know your motherboard manufacturer and model for that though
Cpu-z will tell you if you don't know already
Moto

Sorry for troubling you, it was the battery,THANKS.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 27, 2012 2:03:00 PM

No trouble at all mate, glad to help :-)
Moto
m
l
March 5, 2012 6:22:28 AM

Best answer selected by operfler.
m
l
!