Sign in with
Your question

Does PSU need to be "modular" for Coolermaster 960 II Advamced?

Last response: in Systems
February 25, 2012 2:45:41 PM

Hello!

I´m planning a new system using the Coolermaster 690 II Advanced and still have to select the PSU.

I´ve read that "Modular" PSUs offer the (apparently only) advantage of using only those cables that are really needed and thus guaranteeing a better airflow (I might do some OC in the future).

I still have to choose my PSU and wonder if "Modular" or "Modular" is an important criterion here as the Coolermaster 690 II Advanced seems to offer good cable management.

FYI I´ll be using a z68 chipset, an i7 2600k, a cooler (probably  Scythe Ninja 3 one graphics card, one card reader, one dvd drivea and up to 3 hard drives.)

Is it right to assume that all the cables cramped into that tiny space between "behind the motherboard" and the exterior wall do NOT influence airflow?

Thanks!!
February 25, 2012 2:50:59 PM

modular psu's can make it easier for cable management, but they are by no means an essential purchase, I manage quite well with non-modular psu's as do a lot of modders/builders
and yes, the cables behind the tray don't affect any flow,
its the main area you worry about keeping clear of loose cables
Moto
February 25, 2012 3:01:08 PM

To my mind, "modular" is a non issue, unless you are using a small form factor case.

A properly sized psu will have you using most of the leads anyway.

It is much more important to select a quality psu.

My short list would include Seasonic, XFX, PC P&C, Corsair, and Antec.
!