Want to copy "tree" command's output from cmd prompt to Word

Using Win XP SP2. This should be easy, but I want to copy the *complete*
output of a simple "tree" command at the dos prompt. The problem is that
when I type in the command, and let it run to completion, and scroll back
up, I can only get part of the way--the first half of the tree just won't
show. I'm trying simply to right click the dos prompt's name
bar>edit>select all>copy.

Trying to select all also seems to interfere with the progress of the tree
output. I can let the command start running, but if I don't wait until the
end, it only prints out the tree part of the way.

I have tried selecting all before I run the "tree" command, and that doesn't
work either.

I want to copy the entire output of the tree command without switches to
Word, and there must be a way.

Would appreciate some help.

Chad Harris

"Chad Harris" <ddram32_nospam@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Using Win XP SP2. This should be easy, but I want to copy the *complete*
>output of a simple "tree" command at the dos prompt. The problem is that
>when I type in the command, and let it run to completion, and scroll back
>up, I can only get part of the way--the first half of the tree just won't
>show. I'm trying simply to right click the dos prompt's name
>bar>edit>select all>copy.

Try
TREE > C:\TREE.TXT
Open TREE.TXT on C:\ and copy the data.

--
(tm)

> Using Win XP SP2. This should be easy, but I want to copy the *complete*
> output of a simple "tree" command at the dos prompt. The problem is that
> when I type in the command, and let it run to completion, and scroll back
> up, I can only get part of the way--the first half of the tree just won't
> show. I'm trying simply to right click the dos prompt's name
> bar>edit>select all>copy.

You can redirect the output of any command to a text file instead of the
console:

tree > MyTree.txt

You can then open the MyTree.txt text file in Word.

--
Philippe Majerus
Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices (http://support.microsoft.com/support/mvp)