Upgraded CPU, Mobo, and RAM but cant boot

Penley54

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
recently i upgraded my CPU, Mobo, and RAM but the problem is that i cant get the computer to start up. When i try to start Windows normally (Windows 7) I get the windows load bar and it loads for about 3 or 4 seconds before a blue screen pops up for a split second and then it reboots itself again. When i press F8 and select no automatic restart after error the blue screen comes up and i can read what it says completely. I get a stop error that comes up as follows: ***STOP : 0x0000007B (0xFFFFF880009A9928, 0XFFFFFFFFC0000034, 0X0000000000000000, 0X0000000000000000). My other issue with this is that i dont have the original Windows 7 disk to my knowledge and i dont have the money to get another one after spending all this money on all the other parts that i already purchased. I need help with this issue before i throw this computer out the window and be done with it. I am not sure what do at all and i have no more money to spend on any other parts or anything like that so i need help.

Your only change then is to try to boot into safe mode and install all your system drivers there after you delete all the old ones in device manager! A repair install is usually minimum with this much change of hardware (which is causing your BSOD's)

teh_gerbil

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
Did you honestly replace your CPU, motherboard and RAM without reinstalling windows and expect it to boot perfectly?

There's a thing called a hal, or hardware abstraction layer which Windows uses to talk to your components, at the moments, Windows still thinks you have your old components dude.

You will need to reinstall or Repair your windows installation which will erase your applications (but keep your data, unless you format)

You can attempt to boot into safe mode, by pressing F8 right after the BIOS screen during boot, but I really doubt that will work. Even then, if you do manage to get it working, it won't work as efficiently as your windows will not be properly talking to your components, and will most likely result in many BSOD's and instability.

TD : DR : Reinstall windows or do a windows repair.

Keanu Reeves

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
Changing that much hardware almost always requires a fresh install. It sucks and it's a pain in the ass, especially if you were using an OEM disk originally, but that's just the way it is. If you just swapped out the CPU or the RAM you'd probably be running without hiccups, but replacing a mobo is a big enough change to warrant a clean install.

Also, there are several DIY tips online that will supposedly help with issues like these caused by parts upgrades, but if you want to save yourself the headaches, just reinstall.