Sign in with
Your question

Help with case for my new build.

Last response: in Components
June 12, 2012 11:06:16 PM

I've been wrestling with which case to pick up for my newest build. I've narrowed it down to 1 of 2 cases.

COOLER MASTER HAF922

or

NZXT Phantom Black

I really like the looks of the Phantom but I don't know a lot about NZXT. I've read that the case is mostly plastic, so I have questions about the durability. If you have any suggestions of other cases that are 120$ US or under I'm open to suggestions.

More about : case build

a b ) Power supply
June 13, 2012 12:04:50 AM

I took a chance on buying my NZXT Lexa S because it looked good and came with more than enough of the features I was looking for. I haven't regretted it since because it's holding up pretty well and the stock fans are good and quiet. I believe that either case will do you well so go with what you feel.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
June 13, 2012 12:50:57 AM

Both makers make good cases, either one is fine.

I would pick more based on how much airflow the cases can move rather than how nice they look, but that is just me.

My case looks a little plain, but it has some nice airflow to it.
m
l
Related resources
June 13, 2012 12:54:38 AM

Thanks for the replies. I'll probably go with the NZXT case.

Raiddinn I couldn't help but notice you have the ASRock Z77 Pro4 motherboard in your build. How is it? That's the one i'm looking at putting in my build as well.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
June 13, 2012 1:18:03 AM

I know my way around computer components so I can't say that I have really tested its durability or anything. I really have no idea how easy it would be to accidentally break it.

However, it functions beautifully.

The only PITA thing is trying to get rid of all the yellow exclamations in the device manager.

It works just fine if you don't install all the little stuff, but I am the sort that wants everything to be perfect so if a driver isn't auto detected for something even if I don't use that thing I still want to install it right.

If you are that sort, it may take you an hour or two to get rid of all those warnings.

However, with the way technology is today you probably can't do any different by getting some other kind of board.

Experience wise everything just went really smoothly for me, though.

The only thing that threw me off during installation was the stupid Intel push pin heat sink mounting bracket. Those things suck hard.

From what I have heard that is also not particular to this board, but the same for every kind too.

Intel just needs to design something better than push pin in general. If you are used to AMD you might not like how much the push pin stuff sucks.

Anyway, I would go ahead and get the one I have. Pretty good quality, pretty good price, and other stuff probably isn't that much better than it in any of the problem areas.
m
l
June 13, 2012 1:29:40 AM

Yeah, I'm looking at an aftermarket CPU cooler, so I'll be installing that so the pushpin thing shouldn't be an issue. I'm excited to get this built now.

Just realized I'm going to have to go with the smaller Phantom 410 case. The 24" height on the regular phantom won't fit on my desk.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
June 13, 2012 1:35:19 AM

My case is a pretty beastly sized case too. I was afraid it wasn't going to fit in my desk as well. I was in for a shock when I pulled that thing out of the box, trust.
m
l
!