GPU recommendations for aging Core 2 Quad System

angerisagift18

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011
I used to be a regular a few years back on Toms Hardware and Anandtech Forums, but that was in the days when LGA775 reigned supreme, I work in IT so I have a general idea, but I'm a little out of touch on current offerings and looking for some guidance.

I built the below system a couple of years ago

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gigabyte P35 DS3L (later replaced by spare ECS 671T-M, due to failure)

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4Ghz (was OC'ed to 3.0Ghz Prime stable with ASUS Arctic Square, running stock now)

2GB OCZ Gold PC2 6400 DDR2 800Mhz dual channel kit (running at 667Mhz due to lower end Mobo)
(upgrading to Corsair TWINX DDR2 800Mhz 4GB dual channel kit, awaiting delivery)

1 Seagate Barracuda 500GB SATA

Corsair HX520 Modular PSU, 55A out, 520W dual 12V rails

XFX Alpha Dog Edition OC GeForce 8800 GT 512MB

Antec Nine Hundred Case

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

any other details I can get if requested, running latest Nvidia drivers as of 12/24/11

Windows 7 with all current Service Packs,

I'm looking to play SWTOR and other games that might come out in the future Mass Effect 3, shooters, RPG's etc, I recently got a Samsung 24" LED 1080p display, so I'm now playing games at 1920x1080 and I've gotten in the habit of tweaking settings to get decent frames.

will be able to spend around 200$-250$ USD on a GPU

so far looking at GeForce GTX 560 Ti variants

and even the popular Radeon HD6950 (even though I typically lean towards Nvida)

_-------------------------------------------------------------------

My Question is really, will a system like this be able to take advantage of a newer GPU like stated above, or will I be bottlenecked by my CPU, FSB etc

Other recommendations are welcome

if you know of a quieter card, also a plus, my current can be heard though the entire house

I have a Family and not a lot of disposable income so when I choose hardware I give it a "LOT" of consideration.