SP2 Install problems

October 1, 2004 3:10:25 PM

Using a Dell laptop and Windows automatic update,(XP-Home), my dial-up
connection was lost during SP2 Install.

Now my computer will not work correctly, and now connected to a cable modem,
when I go to install windows SP2 update, it says I don't need it. It thinks
the SP2 is up to date, when in fact, the install didnt finish. Recovery
doesnt work...

Now what? Dell support has me on hold, disconnect, robbed me of $187.00,
and I'm getting nowhere...

Help?????

More about : sp2 install problems

Anonymous
October 1, 2004 6:23:51 PM

Hi,

Is the SP2 uninstall listing in your Add/Remove Programs from your Control
Panel.

--
Gary Tsang
Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User

"Bill Broyles" <bbroyles@cableone.net> wrote in message
> Using a Dell laptop and Windows automatic update,(XP-Home), my dial-up
> connection was lost during SP2 Install.
>
> Now my computer will not work correctly, and now connected to a cable
> modem, when I go to install windows SP2 update, it says I don't need it.
> It thinks the SP2 is up to date, when in fact, the install didnt finish.
> Recovery doesnt work...
>
> Now what? Dell support has me on hold, disconnect, robbed me of $187.00,
> and I'm getting nowhere...
>
> Help?????

Anonymous
October 1, 2004 6:23:52 PM

yes
"Gary Tsang" <gtsangDELETE@MEaumha.org> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Is the SP2 uninstall listing in your Add/Remove Programs from your Control
> Panel.
>

> --
> Gary Tsang
> Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User
> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
>
> "Bill Broyles" <bbroyles@cableone.net> wrote in message
>> Using a Dell laptop and Windows automatic update,(XP-Home), my dial-up
>> connection was lost during SP2 Install.
>>
>> Now my computer will not work correctly, and now connected to a cable
>> modem, when I go to install windows SP2 update, it says I don't need it.
>> It thinks the SP2 is up to date, when in fact, the install didnt finish.
>> Recovery doesnt work...
>>
>> Now what? Dell support has me on hold, disconnect, robbed me of $187.00,
>> and I'm getting nowhere...
>>
>> Help?????

October 1, 2004 8:43:34 PM

Hi Bill,

If the uninstall option for SP2 is in Add/Remove programs, then SP2 might be installed. What makes you think that SP2
didnt finish installing ? Did you get any error messages ? If yes, what were they ?

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Bill Broyles" <bbroyles@cableone.net> wrote in message news:o fBxue%23pEHA.3668@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> yes
> "Gary Tsang" <gtsangDELETE@MEaumha.org> wrote in message news:eZ6ERP%23pEHA.1644@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is the SP2 uninstall listing in your Add/Remove Programs from your Control Panel.
>>

>> --
>> Gary Tsang
>> Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
>>
>> "Bill Broyles" <bbroyles@cableone.net> wrote in message news:eF0uqH%23pEHA.3896@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>>> Using a Dell laptop and Windows automatic update,(XP-Home), my dial-up connection was lost during SP2 Install.
>>>
>>> Now my computer will not work correctly, and now connected to a cable modem, when I go to install windows SP2
>>> update, it says I don't need it. It thinks the SP2 is up to date, when in fact, the install didnt finish. Recovery
>>> doesnt work...
>>>
>>> Now what? Dell support has me on hold, disconnect, robbed me of $187.00, and I'm getting nowhere...
>>>
>>> Help?????

Anonymous
October 1, 2004 10:58:37 PM

Hi,

What happens when you select the uninstall of SP2 from the Add/remove
programs in your control panel?

Does the uninstall wizard pop up and guide you through the installation or
do you get some sort of an error message?

--
Gary Tsang
Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User
http://www.microsoft.com/mvp

"Bill Broyles" <bbroyles@cableone.net> wrote in message
news:o fBxue%23pEHA.3668@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> yes
> "Gary Tsang" <gtsangDELETE@MEaumha.org> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is the SP2 uninstall listing in your Add/Remove Programs from your
>> Control Panel.
>>

>> --
>> Gary Tsang
>> Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
>>
>> "Bill Broyles" <bbroyles@cableone.net> wrote in message
>>> Using a Dell laptop and Windows automatic update,(XP-Home), my dial-up
>>> connection was lost during SP2 Install.
>>>
>>> Now my computer will not work correctly, and now connected to a cable
>>> modem, when I go to install windows SP2 update, it says I don't need it.
>>> It thinks the SP2 is up to date, when in fact, the install didnt finish.
>>> Recovery doesnt work...
>>>
>>> Now what? Dell support has me on hold, disconnect, robbed me of
>>> $187.00, and I'm getting nowhere...
>>>
>>> Help?????

Anonymous
October 2, 2004 12:24:35 PM

"Bill Broyles" <bbroyles@cableone.net> wrote
| yes
| "Gary Tsang" <gtsangDELETE@MEaumha.org> wrote in message
| > Hi,
| >
| > Is the SP2 uninstall listing in your Add/Remove Programs from your Control
| > Panel.
| >

| > --
| > Gary Tsang
| > Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User
| > http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
| >
| > "Bill Broyles" <bbroyles@cableone.net> wrote in message
| >> Using a Dell laptop and Windows automatic update,(XP-Home), my dial-up
| >> connection was lost during SP2 Install.
| >>
| >> Now my computer will not work correctly, and now connected to a cable
| >> modem, when I go to install windows SP2 update, it says I don't need it.
| >> It thinks the SP2 is up to date, when in fact, the install didnt finish.
| >> Recovery doesnt work...
| >>
| >> Now what? Dell support has me on hold, disconnect, robbed me of $187.00,
| >> and I'm getting nowhere...

Instead of downloading SP2, order the SP2 CD from...
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp...
!