Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Help Me Find a Case

Last response: in Components
June 13, 2012 12:17:46 AM

Hey guys,

I need help finding a case. I have had my eyes set on a Corsair 650D. It has a lot of the features that I'm looking for, such as large space, great cable management, and a side window to show off my build.

However, coming in at $160 on Amazon it's still very expensive for my projected $1000 build.

Do you guys know any cases that have similar features but are much cheaper?

Thanks.

More about : find case

a b ) Power supply
June 13, 2012 12:23:14 AM

Did you have a price range in mind?
Score
a b ) Power supply
June 13, 2012 12:28:43 AM

Try looking at this one

NZXT LEXA S LEXS - 001BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

It costs half as much and still has a lot of visibility on the side.
Score
Related resources
June 13, 2012 12:29:20 AM

Under $100 preferably.

If there's something in the $75 range that would be even better.
Score
a b ) Power supply
June 13, 2012 12:38:03 AM

He would like lots of side panel visibility so the Storm Enforcer would be out I would say, and both those cases are pretty lacking in side panel fan mounts which are a big deal.

They are OK, but I think they give up too much.
Score
June 13, 2012 1:23:12 AM

I've been looking around on Newegg and I think that the Corsair Carbide 400R might be a good case. It will cost $93 since Newegg is having a $7 off promotional offer. It also has free shipping.

Although it doesn't have a transparent side window I think it'll be good enough. You can sort of see inside but the aesthetics only come second to functionality.

This case comes with 3 fans, and I will be using a Corsair H60 CPU Cooler. I will be using an i5-3570k and a MSI Twin Frozr II GTX 560 Ti. Do you think I will need additional fans? Is this a good choice of a case?
Score
a b ) Power supply
June 13, 2012 1:33:23 AM

The 400r is a decent case, but if you care most about functionality I would get a HAF 912. That is about the best bang for the buck case there is. The 922 is nice too for those who have a bit more money to throw at cases.
Score
June 13, 2012 1:46:03 AM

NZXT Crafted Series Tempest 410 Elite Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case @ Newegg for $80 is not bad. It has a good amount of space, and ok cable management.
Score
a c 164 ) Power supply
June 13, 2012 2:14:40 AM

Raiddinn said:
The 400r is a decent case, but if you care most about functionality I would get a HAF 912. That is about the best bang for the buck case there is. The 922 is nice too for those who have a bit more money to throw at cases.

the haf 912 is lacking to a more modern case like the antec 300 v2. nice attempt though to show of your knowledge

Score
a b ) Power supply
June 13, 2012 3:16:41 AM

I hope you aren't trying to argue that this

Antec Three Hundred Two Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with Upgraded 2 x USB 3.0

is better than this

COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Is that really what you are doing?

- Edit - Links broken for some reason, so I replaced them with words.

If so, I am calling your bluff. It is not worth paying 33% more for a case with 33% less fan mounts, smaller fan mounts, and no removable cage. Should be more like 50% less fans since 1 of the 302's 4 fan mounts is aimed at the back of the motherboard and those are just cutesy.

I really don't see how you can win this one with your italicized knowledge...
Score
June 13, 2012 4:29:23 AM

I think the Cooler Master HAF XM looks pretty cool:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It comes in at $129 with FREE shipping.

May also want to consider the HAF 922 Black Edition.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It comes in at $99, however has a $14.99 shipping charge which brings it pretty close to the HAF XM.

I love the HAF series of cases from Cooler Master. Very Spacious. My Video card is about 11" inches long and as you can see I have plenty of room to spare in my HAF 922.

Score
a c 164 ) Power supply
June 13, 2012 10:53:07 AM

Raiddinn said:
I hope you aren't trying to argue that this

Antec Three Hundred Two Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with Upgraded 2 x USB 3.0

is better than this

COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Is that really what you are doing?

- Edit - Links broken for some reason, so I replaced them with words.

If so, I am calling your bluff. It is not worth paying 33% more for a case with 33% less fan mounts, smaller fan mounts, and no removable cage. Should be more like 50% less fans since 1 of the 302's 4 fan mounts is aimed at the back of the motherboard and those are just cutesy.

I really don't see how you can win this one with your italicized knowledge...

there is no argument with fact nor is there any reason to argue with the village idiot who has obviously never seen either case or there build quality but if said idiot wants to argue i'm sure said idiot will post incorrect opinion again.
Score
a b ) Power supply
June 13, 2012 12:50:57 PM

Ignoring valid points and resorting to name calling in order to win arguments. The preferred tactic of those that are right.

There are other message boards out there that better cater to the 6 year old mentality than this one, just to let you know.
Score
June 13, 2012 1:16:40 PM

Lian-Li is classy and solid, there are several cases from them in your range you should try, though they may be short on windows and fans. Realistically, it's not that big of an issue for most of us.
Score
a b ) Power supply
June 13, 2012 1:40:09 PM

My Lian Li case is about the cheapest one they make and it is in no way shape or form short on fan ports. Two front, two top, two side, one back. That is a very respectable 7 right there.

My video card runs really hot most of the time - edit - I mean for other people - with no dedicated fan (overcompensated on noise after owning a super loud 4870 before it) and the temps on it pretty much never rise even during hard core gaming because of how cool this PC runs with all the airfow it has.
Score
a c 164 ) Power supply
June 13, 2012 10:45:06 PM

Raiddinn said:
Ignoring valid points and resorting to name calling in order to win arguments. The preferred tactic of those that are right.

There are other message boards out there that better cater to the 6 year old mentality than this one, just to let you know.

you lack knowledge to let anyone know anything so your advice is as worthless as you.

thanks for proving my point on your lack of knowledge.
Score
a b ) Power supply
June 13, 2012 11:55:10 PM

Continue with your childish behavior and you will regret it.

- Edit - Nm, I am not going to bother waiting for you to mess up again.
Score
a c 2001 ) Power supply
June 14, 2012 12:06:52 AM

Let's please knock off the childish insults!
Score
a b ) Power supply
June 14, 2012 12:11:18 AM

The PC-K59 is not cheap but I have it and love it.
Score
a b ) Power supply
June 14, 2012 1:58:37 AM

The first ones notable features:
Plastic+Mesh
5 5.25 drive bays(nice if you like fan controllers and have alot of drives, usualy rare to use 5 though)
4 3.5 slots(for hdds/ssds)
1 120mm and 3 140mm fans(4 total)
19.61" x 8.43" x 19.53" size
usb 2.0 front
110$ thats with shipping

2nd case
Aluminum+Steel(so its more durable than above probably)
2 5.25 drives
6 3.5 drives
4 2.5 drives(has the ssd and the hdd drives separated, thats nice)
2 usb 3.0 front ports(great if you have external hdds)
1 120mm 2 140mm (total of 3 fans)
19.88" x 8.27" x 18.58" (making it larger than the other case horizontally, shorter certically)
100$(cheaper than other case)

If i had to pick one of the 2, the first knight one(choice 2) if you don't plan on utilizing no more than 3 5.25 slots(1 consists of a dvd drive, the other 2 is up to you, a nice touch is fan controller) and its just cheaper by 10$ because of shipping. but you probably want other peoples opinions as well also has usb 3.0 for storing stuff on the go.
Score
June 14, 2012 4:20:02 AM

I'd pick the First Knight Series PC-K9WX, it's just so sexy.

Good features, beautiful outside, beautiful inside.
Score
a b ) Power supply
June 14, 2012 12:27:19 PM

The first one doesn't have a removable cage and the second one doesn't have side slots or top slots.

The PC-K59 like I have does have both.
Score
a b ) Power supply
June 14, 2012 9:28:07 PM

^^ the thread was created for OP to save money from a 160$ original case choice and have a side window. making a unrelated choice to what he was looking for isn't going to get him anywhere.
Score
a b ) Power supply
June 14, 2012 9:34:18 PM

My PC-K59 is good enough that with the other fans in the case my HD 6850 doesn't need to have a dedicated fan (Powercolor SCS3 doesn't).

Literally, people that stand behind my computer tell me its cold.

My video card has to be torture tested for long periods to break 65c and I haven't been able to get it above 80c at all no matter how long I torture it. Not bad for no dedicated fan.

Anyway, my case checklist is like this:

Front - At least 2x 120s or 1x 200, the bigger the better.
Top - At least 2x fans 120+
Side - At least 1x 120 fan, the bigger the better
Removable Hard drive cage
Bottom Mount PSU rack

If a case has all that, and doesn't have bad reviews, its probably a good one.
Score
a b ) Power supply
June 14, 2012 9:37:05 PM

the only thing the pc k-59 doesn't have is a side window, which OP specifically asked for on the opening post.
Score
a b ) Power supply
June 14, 2012 9:41:07 PM

I would use the same checklist, just find something with that stuff and a side window.

I will see if I can't dig something up that fits.
Score
a c 164 ) Power supply
June 14, 2012 9:43:01 PM

dudewitbow said:
the only thing the pc k-59 doesn't have is a side window, which OP specifically asked for on the opening post.

he doesn't care about the OP. he's a troll that tries to shove his BS down people's throat. OP made his choice several posts ago.
Score
a b ) Power supply
June 14, 2012 9:54:13 PM

Actually, I do care. That is why I told you that your cases don't match his requirements and why I listed cases that better do.

Then you started trying to turn this into a flame war, obviously in an attempt to help the OP.

Also, it isn't entirely clear that a choice has been made. It is just clear that you think one has been so therefore one must really have been.

If you wouldn't mind, it would be nice if you would focus on the discussion at hand and quit your flaming.
Score
a c 2001 ) Power supply
June 14, 2012 9:54:13 PM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
!