Sign in with
Your question

Please help me out.. videocard upgrade from 9800gt

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 26, 2011 4:14:56 PM

Hello, I'm currently planning on updating my gpu from 9800gt, and i would need some advices on the topic. I do not want another nvidia card, i had some issues with the card and the customer support too. So what ati card would you advice?

My current specs:

video card: Gainward GeForce 9800 GT
monitor: 22" LG W2243T (1920x1080 native resolution)
motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3 v1.0
ram: Kingmax KLDE88F-B8KU5 (DDR2 800MHz)
cpu:QuadCore AMD Phenom X4 9750, 2300 MHz (12 x 192)

Also the monitor can only be connected through vga, is it ok to use a dvi to vga adapter?

I was looking into hd6850, the price of that is optimal for me, I could probably afford a card that is a bit more expensive.

If you need that, i could look up what my psu is. I can only do that by opening the case, right?

I am planning gaming, but I don't feel the need to play everything maxed, a steady fps on medium-highish would be realistic with my current cpu and a 6850 in a game e.g. Skyrim or BF3, so i could just wait half year then upgrade cpu?

Also my monitor was recognized as a general non-pnp monitor using a simple vga cable, and i've tried another cable too. The driver came with 2 versions, analog and digital (I clearly installed the analog version because of the vga cable). When using a dvi-vga adapter, do i have to install the digital driver? If not, why this monitor has drivers for digital if it doesn't have a DVI input?

I'm sorry for asking this much, but I had many problems before because i was missing important information.

Thanks for your answers in advance!
a b U Graphics card
December 26, 2011 4:37:44 PM

I have used many VGA-DVI adapters and don't have any issues that I'm aware of, so you should be fine using those.

The AMD 6850 is a good all around gaming card. It's not too expensive and does pretty good gaming wise. I have a 6850 and have been very happy with it's performance. If you wanted to upgrade the 6870 would be next up on the list, but it requires 2 x 6 pin PCI-e power connectors from your PSU and I don't know what PSU you have. The AMD 6850 looks like its about the same power consumption of the 9800gt, so generally you would have similar loads than you currently have. I think the 6850 would probably have a lower idle power consumption, but that would be about it.
December 26, 2011 4:42:40 PM

Thank you for your answer! I'm opening the case so i can tell you what psu i have.
I'm gonna edit this post in 5min.

Edit: okay it says LPG12-35 550W
based on a quick google search LP stands for LC-Power
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 26, 2011 4:45:35 PM

A 6850 + a Phenom II X4 940 would be a great combo upgrade for your system.
a b U Graphics card
December 26, 2011 5:08:39 PM

Just curious on why your recommending a whole build? He's just looking at a GPU upgrade at the moment.
a b U Graphics card
December 26, 2011 5:18:49 PM

securityezz said:
Thank you for your answer! I'm opening the case so i can tell you what psu i have.
I'm gonna edit this post in 5min.

Edit: okay it says LPG12-35 550W
based on a quick google search LP stands for LC-Power

That PSU is a bit iffy, from a few links that I read at. Here's a little summary from a post:
"I think the mentioned 550 watt LC power is made by SHENZHEN CHI YUAN, but I am not certain about the quality of their psu's; SHENZHEN CHI YUAN also make the Dynex, Nmedia and Ever Green power supplies which are NOT quality psu's; So I think the LC Power is not as good as Shop Owner think it is! It's unlikely that it got active pfc; efficiency should be around 65-70%"
From this link.

It's not definitive, but you can get the idea. I think you might need to upgrade the CPU/PSU/GPU for the best results.
a c 173 U Graphics card
December 26, 2011 5:44:29 PM

Going from memory, official TDPs are 110W for 9800GT, 110W for 5770/6770, and 130W for 6850. (roughly...) If the PSU is suspect but ran your 9800GT ok, then I wouldn't go any higher then the 5770/6770. And this is assuming you didn't have one of the newer low power 9800GT. While not the gaming card of the 6850, the 5770/6770 isn't a bad card, and a better match for lower end CPUs. Recons build is a good one but if you are only looking at a GPU upgrade I'd probably stick with a 5770/6770 card. (the 6770 is a 5770, but with a shiny new sticker on it.)
December 26, 2011 6:11:59 PM

Thanks for the replies! I think i'm gonna hold out a year with the 9800 gt, then do a whole new build. I could buy the build that recon suggested but i need the money for my driving license and probably a car. Or would you advice buying a better gpu and psu now, then when i have the money, buy the mobo and the rams?
a c 173 U Graphics card
December 26, 2011 6:17:22 PM

From your OP, the computer is completely useless right now. I'd get something just so you can use it. If you get a cheap 5670 or 5750, then you can use your computer again while you use you other money for other things. Then upgrade your computer again when you don't have other pressing needs. (HA!)
a b U Graphics card
December 26, 2011 8:51:53 PM

A 5670/6670 would be a good option to tide you over for a bit, but that depends on what you want to do. A PSU/CPU/GPU would all that you'd need for a bit too, if you had the $ to do that, but I think your RL needs are more important than upgrading all 3 parts.
!