Fire fear prompts Xbox cable swap

Last response: in Video Games
February 17, 2005 5:57:27 PM

"ScoopeX" <ugvx.nothanks.@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:37jooqF5ddpakU1@individual.net...
> This site will tell you if you need a replacement cord.
>
> http://replacements.webprogram.com/en-gb/programovervie...

site searching xbox.com has no mention of this, nor does google. yet this
site is setup to look just like xbox.com. proceed with caution.
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 5:57:28 PM

"wd" <wd@none.com> wrote in message news:rh2Rd.12550$4q6.11852@attbi_s01...

> "ScoopeX" <ugvx.nothanks.@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > This site will tell you if you need a replacement cord.
> >
> > http://replacements.webprogram.com/en-gb/programovervie...
> >

> site searching xbox.com has no mention of this, nor does google. yet this
> site is setup to look just like xbox.com. proceed with caution.

I didn't check that particular site, but I did receive an email this morning
from MS regarding the power cord replacement, so it appears to be legit.
Related resources
February 17, 2005 5:57:28 PM

wd wrote:
> "ScoopeX" <ugvx.nothanks.@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > This site will tell you if you need a replacement cord.
> >
> > http://replacements.webprogram.com/en-gb/programovervie...
> >

> site searching xbox.com has no mention of this, nor does google. yet
this
> site is setup to look just like xbox.com. proceed with caution.

The domain, replacements.webprogram.com, resolves to an IP address of
63.95.69.130 and a whois shows that as being a UUNet subnet called
Harte-Hanks:

Here's a search of the A records for the domain:

DNS Lookup: replacements.webprogram.com A record
Generated by www.DNSstuff.com

How I am searching:
Searching for replacements.webprogram.com A record at
k.root-servers.net [193.0.14.129]: Got referral to d.gtld-servers.net.
[took 136 ms]
Searching for replacements.webprogram.com A record at
d.gtld-servers.net. [192.31.80.30]: Got referral to
ns2.harte-hanks.com. [took 101 ms]
Searching for replacements.webprogram.com A record at
ns2.harte-hanks.com. [63.95.65.2]: Reports replacements.webprogram.com.
[took 101 ms]

Answer:

Domain Type Class TTL Answer
replacements.webprogram.com. A IN 3600 63.95.69.130
webprogram.com. NS IN 3600 ns1.harte-hanks.com.
webprogram.com. NS IN 3600 ns2.harte-hanks.com.
ns1.harte-hanks.com. A IN 300 63.95.65.1
ns2.harte-hanks.com. A IN 300 63.95.65.2

To see the DNS traversal, to make sure that all DNS servers are
reporting the correct results, you can Click Here.

Note that these results are obtained in real-time, meaning that these
are not cached results.
These results are what DNS resolvers all over the world will see right
now (unless they have cached information).

So I went to the website: http://www.harte-hanks.com/

Harte-Hanks, Inc., San Antonio, TX, is a worldwide, direct and targeted
marketing company that provides direct marketing services and shopper
advertising opportunities to a wide range of local, regional, national,
and international consumer and business-to-business marketers.

Looks like a scam to me...

- Jordan
February 17, 2005 5:57:29 PM

"Jordan" <lundj@earthlink.net> wrote in message
<snip>
> Harte-Hanks, Inc., San Antonio, TX, is a worldwide, direct and targeted
> marketing company that provides direct marketing services and shopper
> advertising opportunities to a wide range of local, regional, national,
> and international consumer and business-to-business marketers.
>
> Looks like a scam to me...

Could be that MS delegated the recall task.
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 6:04:07 PM

"wd" <wd@none.com> wrote in message news:rh2Rd.12550$4q6.11852@attbi_s01...

> "ScoopeX" <ugvx.nothanks.@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> This site will tell you if you need a replacement cord.
>>
>> http://replacements.webprogram.com/en-gb/programovervie...
>>

> site searching xbox.com has no mention of this, nor does google. yet this
> site is setup to look just like xbox.com. proceed with caution.

Oh dear

You just got owned.
February 17, 2005 6:52:33 PM

ScoopeX wrote:

> Call yourself a hacker ? Get real

I never called myself a hacker, but I will say I automatically distrust
anyone who describes their company as:

"Harte-Hanks, Inc., San Antonio, TX, is a worldwide, direct and
targeted
marketing company that >>provides direct marketing services<< and
>>shopper
advertising opportunities<< to a wide range of local, regional,
national,
and international consumer and business-to-business marketers. "

Can you blame me?

- Jordan
February 17, 2005 6:56:49 PM

> ScoopeX wrote:
>
>> Call yourself a hacker ? Get real
>
> I never called myself a hacker, but I will say I automatically distrust
> anyone who describes their company as:
>
> "Harte-Hanks, Inc., San Antonio, TX, is a worldwide, direct and
> targeted
> marketing company that >>provides direct marketing services<< and
>>>shopper
> advertising opportunities<< to a wide range of local, regional,
> national,
> and international consumer and business-to-business marketers. "
>
> Can you blame me?

No need to defend yourself. ScoopeX is a bonehead.
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 7:17:31 PM

Its linked directly from the MS Xbox site and a number of news reports have
listed the news today. It is not a scam.

"Jordan" <lundj@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> wd wrote:
>> "ScoopeX" <ugvx.nothanks.@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> > This site will tell you if you need a replacement cord.
>> >
>> > http://replacements.webprogram.com/en-gb/programovervie...
>> >

>> site searching xbox.com has no mention of this, nor does google. yet
> this
>> site is setup to look just like xbox.com. proceed with caution.
>
> The domain, replacements.webprogram.com, resolves to an IP address of
> 63.95.69.130 and a whois shows that as being a UUNet subnet called
> Harte-Hanks:
>
> Here's a search of the A records for the domain:
>
> DNS Lookup: replacements.webprogram.com A record
> Generated by www.DNSstuff.com
>
> How I am searching:
> Searching for replacements.webprogram.com A record at
> k.root-servers.net [193.0.14.129]: Got referral to d.gtld-servers.net.
> [took 136 ms]
> Searching for replacements.webprogram.com A record at
> d.gtld-servers.net. [192.31.80.30]: Got referral to
> ns2.harte-hanks.com. [took 101 ms]
> Searching for replacements.webprogram.com A record at
> ns2.harte-hanks.com. [63.95.65.2]: Reports replacements.webprogram.com.
> [took 101 ms]
>
> Answer:
>
> Domain Type Class TTL Answer
> replacements.webprogram.com. A IN 3600 63.95.69.130
> webprogram.com. NS IN 3600 ns1.harte-hanks.com.
> webprogram.com. NS IN 3600 ns2.harte-hanks.com.
> ns1.harte-hanks.com. A IN 300 63.95.65.1
> ns2.harte-hanks.com. A IN 300 63.95.65.2
>
> To see the DNS traversal, to make sure that all DNS servers are
> reporting the correct results, you can Click Here.
>
> Note that these results are obtained in real-time, meaning that these
> are not cached results.
> These results are what DNS resolvers all over the world will see right
> now (unless they have cached information).
>
> So I went to the website: http://www.harte-hanks.com/
>
> Harte-Hanks, Inc., San Antonio, TX, is a worldwide, direct and targeted
> marketing company that provides direct marketing services and shopper
> advertising opportunities to a wide range of local, regional, national,
> and international consumer and business-to-business marketers.
>
> Looks like a scam to me...
>
> - Jordan

February 17, 2005 7:17:57 PM

Jordan wrote:

> wd wrote:
> > "ScoopeX" <ugvx.nothanks.@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > > This site will tell you if you need a replacement cord.
> > >
> > > http://replacements.webprogram.com/en-gb/programovervie...
> > >

> > site searching xbox.com has no mention of this, nor does google. yet
> this
> > site is setup to look just like xbox.com. proceed with caution.
>
> The domain, replacements.webprogram.com, resolves to an IP address of
> 63.95.69.130 and a whois shows that as being a UUNet subnet called
> Harte-Hanks:
>
> Here's a search of the A records for the domain:
>
> DNS Lookup: replacements.webprogram.com A record
> Generated by www.DNSstuff.com
>
> How I am searching:
> Searching for replacements.webprogram.com A record at
> k.root-servers.net [193.0.14.129]: Got referral to d.gtld-servers.net.
> [took 136 ms]
> Searching for replacements.webprogram.com A record at
> d.gtld-servers.net. [192.31.80.30]: Got referral to
> ns2.harte-hanks.com. [took 101 ms]
> Searching for replacements.webprogram.com A record at
> ns2.harte-hanks.com. [63.95.65.2]: Reports replacements.webprogram.com.
> [took 101 ms]
>
> Answer:
>
> Domain Type Class TTL Answer
> replacements.webprogram.com. A IN 3600 63.95.69.130
> webprogram.com. NS IN 3600 ns1.harte-hanks.com.
> webprogram.com. NS IN 3600 ns2.harte-hanks.com.
> ns1.harte-hanks.com. A IN 300 63.95.65.1
> ns2.harte-hanks.com. A IN 300 63.95.65.2
>
> To see the DNS traversal, to make sure that all DNS servers are
> reporting the correct results, you can Click Here.
>
> Note that these results are obtained in real-time, meaning that these
> are not cached results.
> These results are what DNS resolvers all over the world will see right
> now (unless they have cached information).
>
> So I went to the website: http://www.harte-hanks.com/
>
> Harte-Hanks, Inc., San Antonio, TX, is a worldwide, direct and targeted
> marketing company that provides direct marketing services and shopper
> advertising opportunities to a wide range of local, regional, national,
> and international consumer and business-to-business marketers.
>
> Looks like a scam to me...

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/default.htm
has a large white box appearing on the page that links to
http://replacements.webprogram.com/en-us/index.asp
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 7:19:16 PM

"Jordan" <lundj@earthlink.net> wrote in message

[chop]

>> Looks like a scam to me...

Call yourself a hacker ? Get real

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/7675/Microsoft-Announces-...

You just got owned.
February 17, 2005 8:19:28 PM

"wd" <wd@none.com> wrote in message news:rh2Rd.12550$4q6.11852@attbi_s01...

> "ScoopeX" <ugvx.nothanks.@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> This site will tell you if you need a replacement cord.
>>
>> http://replacements.webprogram.com/en-gb/programovervie...
>>

> site searching xbox.com has no mention of this, nor does google. yet this
> site is setup to look just like xbox.com. proceed with caution.

On www.xbox.com uk site. Large white box on the right, product recall.
February 17, 2005 8:26:25 PM

"Jordan" <lundj@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> Looks like a scam to me...

What a wasted effort, would have been much easier for you to check the news.
February 17, 2005 8:28:29 PM

Beck wrote:

> "Jordan" <lundj@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>
> > Looks like a scam to me...
>
> What a wasted effort, would have been much easier for you to check the news.

I think it would have been better for MS to have just hosted it within
their own site instead of having the third party they have handling it
create a domain specifically for it.
February 17, 2005 8:50:52 PM

Yeah, but other people might not know that. :^)

- Jordan
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 12:08:18 AM

> "wd" <wd@none.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "ScoopeX" <ugvx.nothanks.@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >> This site will tell you if you need a replacement cord.
> >>
> >> http://replacements.webprogram.com/en-gb/programovervie...
> >>

> > site searching xbox.com has no mention of this, nor does google. yet
this
> > site is setup to look just like xbox.com. proceed with caution.
> >

> Oh dear

> You just got owned.

not a matter of being owned or not, its a matter of being cautious, if you
cant respect that then your opinion isnt worth me caring about anyway.
February 18, 2005 12:52:09 AM

"wd" <wd@none.com> wrote in message news:5J7Rd.13847$tl3.1926@attbi_s02...

> not a matter of being owned or not, its a matter of being cautious, if you
> cant respect that then your opinion isnt worth me caring about anyway.

Oh don't worry, Scoopex rarely has opinions, he is more of a cut 'n' paste
jobber.
!