Low level Formating

del_35

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2001
I have bought a new computer and my Bios no longer supports lowlevel formating, i had a p200mmx. Does anyone know how i can go about lowlevel forating a drive of about 270mb. Thanks in advance

"Remember that after great thought, things are always bought from the lowest bider"

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
It's just a bios function. It runs through the hard disk and completely wipes (0's) everything. You could call it security erasure.

A couple of formats does close to the same thing, but leaves the disk with information (formatting indexes).

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
If you do a format/u X: that will do a unconditional format which is the same as a LLF but doesn't write Zero's to the Master Boot Record like a LLF would do.

Check with the Mfg. Of the drive and see if they have on available?

<font color=green>"Your call will be answered by the next available Tech Support representative"</font color=green>

r2k

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2001
Is your drive a Quantum?
I just remembered a utility I downloaded from former Quantum's website called Quantum Disk Manager.It is a very fast program for partitioning,formatting,checking disk integrity,etc.Maybe you'll find a low-level format option there.You should know the model name of your HDD though for the program to work.
I just played with its options about a year ago(but didn't make or apply any changes).I've got it in my computer but it's way too big for me to send : 4.5 MB

Spdy_Gonzales

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
That's a pretty small drive there. Do you really NEED to do a low level format? You can reformat it with "My Computer" and that would probably be adequate.

<b> JOHN HANCOCK </b>

TRENDING THREADS