Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

First time home build - Looking for experienced feedback

Last response: in Systems
Share
February 25, 2012 7:33:53 PM

I'm a total noob that's about to venture into my first attempt at a custom build and I would appreciate if some of you more experienced folks would look over my proposed system and let me know if there might be any glaring problems that might arise with the components I've selected. My choices reflect my intentions of building in plenty of headroom for future functionality & expansion. Such as, I may not be into intensive gaming at the moment but could possibly be venturing into that area (with the addition of a good GPU, of course).

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3 GHz Quad-Core
MoBo: Intel BOXDZ68BC Z68
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 SDRAM 1600
SSD: Corsair Force Series GT 120GB SATA III
HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST10000DM003 1TB 7200RPM SATA
Optic drive: LG Black 12x Super Multi Blue Blueray/DVD/CD
PSU: OCZ ZX Series 850W Fully-Modular
Case: NZCT Tempest 410
OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit OEM
February 25, 2012 7:36:16 PM

That looks like a pretty good system, from my point of view, But I would suggest a graphics card, as onboard graphics usually are limited in features, and not the best quality
m
0
l
February 25, 2012 7:36:41 PM

OP, what is your budget?
m
0
l
Related resources
February 25, 2012 7:56:37 PM

Yes, I realize the the onboard graphics will be a limiting factor at the moment, but I'm already pushing the top end of my budget with this build and a graphics card can easily be added at a future date. My main concern is more along the lines of compatibility and connectivity, with the ability to expand and adapt in the future. Thanx for the feedback.
m
0
l
February 25, 2012 8:03:06 PM

azeem40 said:
OP, what is your budget?


The components I have listed are pretty much topping out my budget, especially after you add in the peripherals (kb, mouse, monitor, external HD, etc.) This is a "from the bottom up" starting from nothing build and will be the first computer I've ever owned. I do plan on upgrading the system with things such as a GPU, TV tuner card, sound card, etc. in the future, but right now I'm just looking to lay out a solid foundation to build on.
m
0
l
February 25, 2012 8:28:38 PM

KublaConn said:
The components I have listed are pretty much topping out my budget, especially after you add in the peripherals (kb, mouse, monitor, external HD, etc.) This is a "from the bottom up" starting from nothing build and will be the first computer I've ever owned. I do plan on upgrading the system with things such as a GPU, TV tuner card, sound card, etc. in the future, but right now I'm just looking to lay out a solid foundation to build on.


Ah need to learn to read slower :p , everything looks good accept, you could probably use a 600W PSU for now:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And save more money

Best wishes,
Hammy
m
0
l
February 25, 2012 8:51:13 PM

Don't buy your psu before knowing what you gpu is going to be. One depends on the other.
m
0
l
February 25, 2012 9:25:24 PM

if you ant to watch some full hd movies , watch full hd youtube or do a little bit of gaming you should go for AMD A8 which is a quad core processor with AMD 6k series graphics in built.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
The motherboard are a bit cheaper and they have ton of more features like USB3.0 and a lot more.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
It really depends on your use.
If you go for a core i 5 it is a fantastic processor but i think the a8 processor is good enough for most of the things we do.
Next month AMD is going to release the next generation APU called Trinity which have better processor and better graphics.You can also wait for it may be.
m
0
l
February 25, 2012 9:27:49 PM

That may be so, but i5-2500k leaves more of an upgrade path.
m
0
l
February 25, 2012 9:44:44 PM

Hammy12Edgar said:
Ah need to learn to read slower :p , everything looks good accept, you could probably use a 600W PSU for now:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And save more money

Best wishes,
Hammy


Yes, I agree the 850w PSU is a bit of overkill for now, but it leaves me plenty of room for adding on a GPU, sound card, additional HDD, etc. without having to worry too much about power. My thinking is that it's better to have too much now then to have to replace it later.

Thanx for for the input.
m
0
l
February 25, 2012 9:49:07 PM

Quote:
we need to start over...

+1
m
0
l
February 25, 2012 10:01:32 PM

mitunchidamparam said:
if you ant to watch some full hd movies , watch full hd youtube or do a little bit of gaming you should go for AMD A8 which is a quad core processor with AMD 6k series graphics in built.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
The motherboard are a bit cheaper and they have ton of more features like USB3.0 and a lot more.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
It really depends on your use.
If you go for a core i 5 it is a fantastic processor but i think the a8 processor is good enough for most of the things we do.
Next month AMD is going to release the next generation APU called Trinity which have better processor and better graphics.You can also wait for it may be.



The i5-2500K is also a quad-core and it has integrated HD 3000 graphics. The Intel mobo I've picked has a chipset that optimizes the HD 3000 graphics and also has USB 3.0, including two front panel 3.0 connections on the head.

Appreciate the input.
m
0
l
February 25, 2012 10:10:35 PM

MoBo: Intel BOXDZ68BC Z68 ASUS seems a much better choice

PSU: OCZ ZX Series 850W Fully-Modular Can I suggest Corsair?

Case: NZCT Tempest 410 What about Cooler Master HAF´s?

SSD; I rather have a nice GPU than this.

If you want to upgrade in the future; an ssd sounds to me like a great future add-on. No ssd will get you better hardware right now.




m
0
l
February 26, 2012 2:24:35 AM

Quote:
fixed that for you...



thanks man!

just my 2 cents, I am no expert just trying to help
m
0
l
February 26, 2012 6:45:42 AM

DAROBA said:
thanks man!

just my 2 cents, I am no expert just trying to help



I've appreciated your "2 cents", DAROBA, it's been somewhat constructive, and you've at least SAID something, but as for malmental's input, I might as well be eating Melba toast while drinking sand. Negative amibiguity is NOT feedback, it's just mastibatory ego building.
m
0
l
February 26, 2012 3:25:18 PM

Quote:
ideally is to have both.
but nowadays the SSD has to be a given....
(for me anyways)


I think you are right in the money by saying "ideally" and "for me".

I do understand "ideally" but my budget does not; I do the best I can with what I have.

If OP does not mind; can you speck a build?
m
0
l
February 26, 2012 3:37:21 PM

How far in the future do you plan on upgrading? The reason I ask is if you don't plan on doing any gaming right now (since you don't have a GPU) you could drop the i5 for an i3. Then later when you do want to upgrade you could drop in an ivy bridge or whatever is after that. If you do plan on doing some lighter gaming right now you might want to stick with the i5 for the HD3000 (which I've heard isn't bad).

Also, that is a lot of PSU even if you plan on adding a GPU and more HDDs (unless you are planning to SLI/Crossfire).

Also, some people are saying drop the SSD. My two cents: don't. It really makes a huge difference.
m
0
l
March 5, 2012 12:01:40 AM

This is my final configuration, I put it together this weekend:

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor
MoBo: MSI Z68A-GD80 (G3)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600
SSD: Crucial M4 128GB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB
Case: NZXT Tempest 410
Power Supply: Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V
Optical Drive: LG WH12LS39 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer

m
0
l
!