Sign in with
Your question

Installed a 560 ti and my computer won't boot

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 26, 2011 5:00:14 PM

I got a new shiny 560 ti graphics card as my christmas present and after I installed it, it ran fine for about a day. However, late last night i was using my computer and the whole thing just up and died on me. When i try to boot it up, half the time it will show me my bios loadup screen and half the time it won't and when i try to open my biOS up, it just opens a very Linux grub-esque menu where it gives me the option to boot from a floppy or my harddrive. After having gone back through the manuels and all that stuff i found that i was supposed to turn off my other graphics card which i forgot to do. Help please, my skyrim isn't working :( 
a b U Graphics card
December 26, 2011 7:51:55 PM

If you can boot into windows, I'd go in and uninstall all graphics drivers. Then use Driver Sweeper (free program available online) and clean out any remaining display drivers.

It could be a hardware failure in your graphics card. Is your old card physically still installed in your computer?
m
l
December 26, 2011 8:34:33 PM

I can't get into windows itself, though i did manage to get into my biOS. The old graphics card i had in was an integrated card so i can't take it out of the system.
m
l
Related resources
December 26, 2011 8:34:52 PM

is there a way of removing it in the biOS?
m
l
a c 109 U Graphics card
December 26, 2011 8:37:16 PM

Did you change from integrated graphics to pcie graphics? :o 
m
l
December 26, 2011 8:40:31 PM

amuffin said:
Did you change from integrated graphics to pcie graphics? :o 

Essentially, I built a computer that had a motherboard with an integrated video card and attached a pcie video card. Long story short, the pcie card bricked and I ran without a video card for a long time. Now, I have this video card.
m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
December 26, 2011 8:42:20 PM

Did you connect the two 6-pin connectors from your PSU directly to your graphics card?

What is your PSU?
m
l
December 26, 2011 8:50:35 PM

Sunius said:
Did you connect the two 6-pin connectors from your PSU directly to your graphics card?

What is your PSU?

This is the PSU that I have (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...), and I used the two six pin adapters that came with the graphics card, which I attached to two separate rails coming from the power supply.
m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
December 26, 2011 9:01:52 PM

Damn I'm not sure if that PSU has enough amps on 12V rail. Anyone could help out? Is 25 Amps on the only 12V rail enough for GTX 560 Ti?
m
l
December 26, 2011 9:05:29 PM

if it doesn't, could i replace the PSU and rewire everything? or would that break something?
m
l
December 26, 2011 9:10:03 PM

The weird thing is that when i took out the 560 and put everything back the way it was beforehand it wouldn't boot. I can get to the biOS, but if Ileave that my screen just stays black.
m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
December 26, 2011 9:27:39 PM

So it doesn't even work if the 560 Ti is out of your motherboard? If so, then it's definitely not the graphics card fault. Try taking out RAM sticks, one at a time.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 26, 2011 9:37:24 PM

Well I'm not sure you PSU is up to the task with the 560Ti GPU. You generally lose about 10% peak power/year (due to capacitor aging). 25A on the 12v rail might be fine, but make sure your adapters are plugged into different cables coming out of the PSU. If you plug all of your 4 pin cable adapters into 1 wire coming out of the PSU, you could be putting undue stress onto that power rail and possibly causing your issue.
m
l
December 26, 2011 9:38:40 PM

Sunius said:
So it doesn't even work if the 560 Ti is out of your motherboard? If so, then it's definitely not the graphics card fault. Try taking out RAM sticks, one at a time.

why might removing the RAM sticks help? I thought the memory limit only applied to 32 bit OSs and im running 64 bit xp.
m
l
December 26, 2011 9:41:39 PM

lunyone said:
Well I'm not sure you PSU is up to the task with the 560Ti GPU. You generally lose about 10% peak power/year (due to capacitor aging). 25A on the 12v rail might be fine, but make sure your adapters are plugged into different cables coming out of the PSU. If you plug all of your 4 pin cable adapters into 1 wire coming out of the PSU, you could be putting undue stress onto that power rail and possibly causing your issue.

The problem i have is that i need 2 6-pin connectors and only two open wires so there is only one way to attach them since each one takes two 4-pin connections.
m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
December 26, 2011 9:46:54 PM

Well, I'm trying to narrow the problem. I think it might be bad ram, at least it's the most common issue after graphics card.
m
l
December 26, 2011 9:49:58 PM

Sunius said:
Well, I'm trying to narrow the problem. I think it might be bad ram, at least it's the most common issue after graphics card.

I'll try that first time i get, thanks. At the moment, my mom is using my monitor so i can't do anything right now.
m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
December 27, 2011 8:53:41 AM

His problem lies somewhere else, it doesn't even work from onboard video with the card taken out of the PCIe slot.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 27, 2011 10:18:45 AM

Sunius said:
His problem lies somewhere else, it doesn't even work from onboard video with the card taken out of the PCIe slot.

It's also possible that his PSU got damaged with the 560Ti installed (stressed out PSU) and than the PSU did some damage to other parts (RAM/Mobo/etc.). So I wouldn't rule out the PSU being bad either at this point in time.
m
l
January 5, 2012 11:35:05 PM

powsplatboom said:
I got a new shiny 560 ti graphics card as my christmas present and after I installed it, it ran fine for about a day. However, late last night i was using my computer and the whole thing just up and died on me. When i try to boot it up, half the time it will show me my bios loadup screen and half the time it won't and when i try to open my biOS up, it just opens a very Linux grub-esque menu where it gives me the option to boot from a floppy or my harddrive. After having gone back through the manuels and all that stuff i found that i was supposed to turn off my other graphics card which i forgot to do. Help please, my skyrim isn't working :( 

I performed a fresh install of windows and now it's working like a charm, thanks for all the useful suggestions though :) 
m
l
!