Need sound card

12 answers Last reply
More about need sound card
  1. They're all dead links.
  2. That's a good card. What is your main purpose for it?
  3. to output dobly digital and dts 5.1 to my receiver when i watch bluray movies
  4. It had good reviews by satisfied owners. I really can't find fault with it. But then, I'm no audiophile. As far as doing its job and being dependable, it appears to be a very good choice.
  5. ok thx
  6. Technically, if your main purpose is Dolby/DTS when watching movies off a DVD/Blu-Ray, then any soundcard with optical output will do.

If you want Dolby/DTS when doing other things that do not already have a Dolby/DTS track [games, for example], then you need a soundcard with either Dolby Digital Live or DTS-Connect support.

The Turtle Beach card will suffice for either purpose, though I note there are plenty of alternatives from ASUS and HT Omega at the sub $100 price point.
  7. no games doesn't matter just movies ?
  8. If the movie already has a Dolby/DTS track, any optical output can carry the signal without issue. Even the motherboard optical output can pass through already existing Dolby/DTS audio tracks.

The reason soundcard encoding is needed, because games and other non-movie sources typically do not have a Dolby/DTS audio track. So the soundcard needs to encode to one of those formats in realtime in order to get 5.1 via optical.
  9. If the output is HDMI and the receiver has HDMI, the even simpler option would be PC vidcard -> HDMI -> receiver -> HDMI -> TV.
  10. InvalidError said:
    If the output is HDMI and the receiver has HDMI, the even simpler option would be PC vidcard -> HDMI -> receiver -> HDMI -> TV.

no the receiver only has optical and coaxial
Ask a new question

Read More

Sound Cards Components Product