Sign in with
Your question

Hardware

Last response: in Components
June 12, 2012 7:02:38 PM

Hello,
I'm a self taught techie newbie, so go easy on me!! I have just salvaged a IEEE 1394 (3+1) NEC card out of an old computer. From what I've read, is it true that this can be used to capture/transfer digital images? What sort of specs would I need to run it effectively?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

Doug.

More about : hardware

June 13, 2012 2:52:59 AM

This topic has been moved from the section Opinions and Experiences to section CPU & Components by Pyree
June 13, 2012 3:02:36 AM

That is simply a firewire card, similar to USB but it was faster than USB 2 and not nearly as widespread. There are a variety of firewire devices out there, but unless you have some the card isn't going to do you much good.
Related resources
June 13, 2012 3:20:12 AM

Hi Duggy, Welcome to Tom's,
A picture of the card may help identify what it can do.
NEC may provide driver support for the card depending on the technology used at the time it was made.
June 13, 2012 3:23:28 AM

hunter315 said:
That is simply a firewire card, similar to USB but it was faster than USB 2 and not nearly as widespread. There are a variety of firewire devices out there, but unless you have some the card isn't going to do you much good.

That was my first impression until I realized NEC makes strange specialty graphics cards and what not... might help to see it. But it does sound like a regular firewire expansion port
!