Phantom 410 Case-Can't get usb to work

thename1000

Honorable
May 30, 2012
Hey,

This build has a P8Z68-V-Pro/Gen 3 Asus motherboard and a phantom 410 case.

While trying to hook up the case fans to the mb I noticed that the wires coming from the case were male, while the mb only had male input slots on it.

I later realized that there are three female connectors coming from the case that are connected to an extender of some sort that turns it into male. So I disconnected those and just connected those three to the mb. This allowed the fans to work but none of the top usb slots work.

Do I need to buy some kind of converter? If so why wouldn't either the mb or case come with this?

Thanks

mrclownface

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009
when the case is new out of the box,there should be a bundle of cables including the power led cable,case fan cables and usb cable,this needs to be connected to your motherboard for the fron usb ports to work,from my experience usually at the bottom of the motherboard

thename1000

Honorable
May 30, 2012

Yeah I understand, but don't understand what I stated in my question. I was hoping someone who had a Phantom Case could comment.. :(

winterborn24601

Honorable
May 19, 2012
I just put together a build with the Phantom 410. I'm not sure I understand what you're having problems with but I'll take a crack at it anyway.

What I do know is that if you connect the case fans directly to the mb the built in fan controller isn't going to work.

I have the manual in front of me so I'm going to refer to parts using the names on there. To get the fan controller to work you need to connect the fans to the 3P Connectors. You should have 7 of these in total and 3 should have come connected to the built in fans. Then connect the 4P Connector to your PSU.

As for the USBs your mb should have a mid-board 3.0 connection. That's the big blue one. Just plug it in. The 2.0 connector should also just plug into the mb. You shouldn't need any adapters at all.

thename1000

Honorable
May 30, 2012
Thanks everything is hooked up now but the fan controller.

http://www.overclockers.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/NZXT-Phantom-039.png

So basically what these guy have pictured are all the wires for the case EXCEPT the three male and female (male is fan controller, female is fan) wires which are connected to each other. When first setting up the case I foolishly disconnected these and now don't know which fan controller wires the fans go into.

So there are 7 total male fan controller wires. Does anyone know which 3 I plug my fans into? I tried random but the fan switch didn't work so it must matter which is which.

winterborn24601

Honorable
May 19, 2012

That's exactly what is pictured. They don't have the other three 'cause they're already hooked up and are hidden in out of the way places in the case. I also foolishly disconnected the other three fans. I plugged them into the mb. Then I realised that my fan controller was useless.

It surprises me that the random wires you tried didn't work. Because I also just plugged the fans back into random wires and it worked. Unless I was just really lucky. Did you hook the big black plug at the very left side of the pic into your PSU?