How can I drive DVI or HDMI from an old fashioned 5V PCI, non express slot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

douggibson

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011
Hellp all

I've got a Dell Dimension 3000 with a 3GHz Pentium which although now old still performs very well. I treated myself to a new LG 1920x1080 monitor for Xmas at a very attractive £99. Unfortunately, I can't make the on board graphics generate the correct resolution. There is a driver on the Intel site, but it says my machine isn't powerful enough and refuses to load. In any case when I drive the monitor from the D-sub on another PC there is clearly some loss of quality. I stupidly bought a graphics card without checking whether it fitted and discovered with the help of Wikipedia that the machine has only 5V non PCI express slots. I can't find a card anywhere that fits that slot and will drive a DVI or HDMI connection - is that because they simply don't exist? I've seen USB interfaces but they are quite dear (circa £50) and the reviwes suggest a number of issues. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

thank you

Solution
They definitely make PCI graphic cards with DVI and HDMI outputs. Granted, they're generally low end and you're really going to have to look if you're limited to brick and mortar stores. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with what online stores are available to you.

Just for reference, go to Newegg.com Video Card section. Change the interface to "PCI" and HDMI to "1 x HDMI". That should give you a list of what's available over here and give you an idea of what to look for over there.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
They definitely make PCI graphic cards with DVI and HDMI outputs. Granted, they're generally low end and you're really going to have to look if you're limited to brick and mortar stores. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with what online stores are available to you.

Just for reference, go to Newegg.com Video Card section. Change the interface to "PCI" and HDMI to "1 x HDMI". That should give you a list of what's available over here and give you an idea of what to look for over there.

-Wolf sends

Solution

douggibson

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011
Thanks so much for the link - I don't know why my Google searching didn't turn up any of these. Since posting I in fact purchased a Kingston USB to DVI interface which has solved the problem and has the added benefit that I can use it on all three of the PCs I use at home. Of course it is no good for gaming or videos but that wasn't what I needed anyway - I just needed to display wide views on multiple documents. Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.