Cord recall. now how 'bout the drives MS?

Todd

Yeah thanks for the heads up on the power cord. Now how about replacing all
of those DVD drives that fail after 6 months and come back from repair and
still don't work properly?
Sayin'?

"todd" <quadricept@nc.rr.com> wrote in message
> Yeah thanks for the heads up on the power cord. Now how about replacing
all
> of those DVD drives that fail after 6 months and come back from repair and
> still don't work properly?
> Sayin'?

if you can find a way to make the drives set stuff on fire, im sure MS would
help you out ;-)

> "todd" <quadricept@nc.rr.com> wrote in message
>> Yeah thanks for the heads up on the power cord. Now how about
>> replacing
> all
>> of those DVD drives that fail after 6 months and come back from
>> repair and still don't work properly?
>> Sayin'?
>>

> if you can find a way to make the drives set stuff on fire, im sure MS
> would help you out ;-)

I was about to say a defective DVD drive isn't going to burn down a house.

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I just checked my xbox and the power cord needs to be replaced. I'll never
understand how things like this can go unnoticed before a product actually
starts shipping. I'm glad that they're sending me a new powercord, but it
would be nice if they would also give those affected an extra bonus or
something, since we did have defective cords from the beginning. But then
again, its M$

Dan wrote:
> I just checked my xbox and the power cord needs to be replaced. I'll
never
> understand how things like this can go unnoticed before a product
actually
> starts shipping. I'm glad that they're sending me a new powercord,
but it
> would be nice if they would also give those affected an extra bonus
or
> something, since we did have defective cords from the beginning. But
then
> again, its M$

They were thinking about giving a free copy of Catwoman... no not the
game but the movie. But then were advised against it for the increased
chances of getting sued.

"DNA" <susenets2@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> They were thinking about giving a free copy of Catwoman... no not the
> game but the movie.

I love that movie......
HB in black sexy leather! yummy

ted

Distinguished
May 25, 2001

Dan wrote:

> I just checked my xbox and the power cord needs to be replaced. I'll never
> understand how things like this can go unnoticed before a product actually
> starts shipping.
snip

Because you can't test a product in every situation or for the extended
period of time that real life leads to. There've been about 30 reported
problems, and that's out of how many Xboxen?

Ted wrote:

> Because you can't test a product in every situation or for the
> extended period of time that real life leads to. There've been about
> 30 reported problems, and that's out of how many Xboxen?

According to the recall 14.1 million.

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I doubt that the power cords overheating has anything to do with extended
usage, and therefore is something they should have been able to see from the
beginning. The cords were always defective, they didn't "become" defective

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 at 10:07 GMT, <mikedan*nospam*@videotron.ca> wrote:

> I just checked my xbox and the power cord needs to be replaced. I'll never
> understand how things like this can go unnoticed before a product actually
> starts shipping.

"It's an imperfect world. Screws fall out all the time."

--
http://cbsrmt.mousetrap.net/RMTdb/ CBS Radio Mystery Theater database
CBSRMT uploads each day in <news:alt.binaries.sounds.radio.cbsrmt>

Ted <nospamforted@nospam.com> wrote:

> Because you can't test a product in every situation or for the extended
> period of time that real life leads to. There've been about 30 reported
> problems, and that's out of how many Xboxen?

While there are a lot of factors here, consider that it's the powercord -
purchased from a 3rd party vendor. You would have hoped that they would
have done extended testing with their cords under varying electrical loads
in order to determine if there were any problems with, say, heat. All I
can say is that if the cords were getting hot enough to leave marks on
carpeting and entertainment units, then obviously the cords were either
defective, or were being used under higher than expected loads.

I'm guessing that Microsoft will be silently engaging the manufacturer of
the defective cables with its lawyers in hopes of getting them to pay for
this debacle.

What I am more concerned about is why did this take ~3 years to come to
light? Basically, any box manufactured before 2003 needs a replacement
cord, which is an estimated 14million boxes. Even if it only costs
Microsoft $1 to buy a new cord and ship it to you, that's a lot of money -
especially since XBox has already been somewhat of a money pit for
Microsoft.

jlc

"Doug Jacobs" <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote in message
> What I am more concerned about is why did this take ~3 years to come to
> light? Basically, any box manufactured before 2003 needs a replacement
> cord, which is an estimated 14million boxes. Even if it only costs
> Microsoft $1 to buy a new cord and ship it to you, that's a lot of money -
> especially since XBox has already been somewhat of a money pit for
> Microsoft.

It's typical of any large corporation when it comes to recalls. They
calculate how many times there's a complaint vs. the chance of a major part
failure. I guess it took 3 years for the number of failures to add up to
being a big enough risk factor, so Microsoft's lawyers decided to do the
recall. JLC

Thoth

Distinguished
May 23, 2004

"Dan" <mikedan*nospam*@videotron.ca> wrote in message
>I doubt that the power cords overheating has anything to do with extended
>usage, and therefore is something they should have been able to see from
>the beginning. The cords were always defective, they didn't "become"
>defective

How would you discover that in testing if it happens one time in a million?

> "Dan" <mikedan*nospam*@videotron.ca> wrote in message
>>I doubt that the power cords overheating has anything to do with
>>extended usage, and therefore is something they should have been able
>>to see from the beginning. The cords were always defective, they
>>didn't "become" defective
>
> How would you discover that in testing if it happens one time in a
> million?

by testing one million units, and if only one of them fails...

Thoth

Distinguished
May 23, 2004

"TheLightsAreOn" <fake@thisaddress.com> wrote in message
>> "Dan" <mikedan*nospam*@videotron.ca> wrote in message
>>>I doubt that the power cords overheating has anything to do with
>>>extended usage, and therefore is something they should have been able
>>>to see from the beginning. The cords were always defective, they
>>>didn't "become" defective
>>
>> How would you discover that in testing if it happens one time in a
>> million?
>>

> by testing one million units, and if only one of them fails...

Fair enough. (I really should ahve known better than to put that in the
form of a question. <g>)

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 05:07:42 -0500, "Dan"
<mikedan*nospam*@videotron.ca> wrote:

>I just checked my xbox and the power cord needs to be replaced. I'll never
>understand how things like this can go unnoticed before a product actually
>starts shipping. I'm glad that they're sending me a new powercord, but it
>would be nice if they would also give those affected an extra bonus or
>something, since we did have defective cords from the beginning. But then
>again, its M$

Dude like it says, approx 1 in 10000 might be affected....THATS how
things like that never get discovered...

Spiff

> "TheLightsAreOn" <fake@thisaddress.com> wrote in message
>>> "Dan" <mikedan*nospam*@videotron.ca> wrote in message
>>>
>>> How would you discover that in testing if it happens one time in a
>>> million?
>>>

>> by testing one million units, and if only one of them fails...
>
> Fair enough. (I really should ahve known better than to put that in the
> form of a question. <g>)

I am surprised I was the only one to do this. It really wasn't funny, and I
should be more embarrassed for saying it than you should be for asking it.

JLC wrote:

> It's typical of any large corporation when it comes to recalls. They
> calculate how many times there's a complaint vs. the chance of a
> major part failure. I guess it took 3 years for the number of
> failures to add up to being a big enough risk factor, so Microsoft's
> lawyers decided to do the recall. JLC

Exactly. Cost of recall < cost of lawsuit and negative publicity in the 1 in
1,000,000 chance someone's house burns down with their children and puppies
inside because of a faulty Xbox power cord. I doubt I'll even bother getting
mine replaced. Wait, what's that smell? It's like something burning... OH
NO! THE CHILDREN!

-Z-

Spiff <Spiff@myhouse.com> wrote:

> Dude like it says, approx 1 in 10000 might be affected....THATS how
> things like that never get discovered...

14.7mil Xboxes have been sold. That's potentially 14700 incidents of
burns from the power cable.

> Spiff <Spiff@myhouse.com> wrote:
>
> > Dude like it says, approx 1 in 10000 might be affected....THATS how
> > things like that never get discovered...
>
> 14.7mil Xboxes have been sold. That's potentially 14700 incidents of
> burns from the power cable.

Math isn't your best subject. It's 1470