Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Flawless system for months, now; BSOD and no video

Last response: in Systems
February 25, 2012 10:06:34 PM

I built my system, below, months ago and have enjoyed flawless operation until one day while playing The Old Republic I get a BSOD with bad-header-pool error. Now when I attempt to boot I get no video. When i turn my system on everything sounds like its booting normally, just no video. I would like some suggestions to pinpoint the exact problem, here's what I have done so far:

*removed crossfire cards and attempted to boot system with each one individually
-also checked voltages of the two 6-pin connectors
*checked that the ram was seated correctly
*reset cmos by removing battery
*booted from the harddrive with another system, everything seemed fine

It seems to me that the problem has to be the motherboard, but Id like to know for sure before any $$ starts flowing around. As a last note I'll say that my temps under normal gaming load is around 75C for the GPU and 40C for the CPU. All suggestions would be wonderful, let me know if there's any other information you need, thanks!!

system:

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX

ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard

G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ

2 X HIS PCI-Express Video Card (H685F1GD) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0047N0XBM/ref=pd_lpo_...

HITACHI Deskstar P7K500 HDP725050GLA360 (0A35415) 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

SILVERSTONE RAVEN RV02-BW Matte black 0.8mm Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

XIGMATEK NRP-PC702 700W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

CORSAIR H80 (CWCH80) High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

February 25, 2012 10:18:43 PM

run a memtest see if any of your rams is faulty
m
l
February 25, 2012 10:29:02 PM

h3sham said:
run a memtest see if any of your rams is faulty

I'd like to but my other system doesn't support that ram and I have no video.

I will say that when I first built the system I was using the Ripsaw 8gb(2 X4gb) and I was getting constant freezing, so I ran memtest and more freezing and errors were produced. So, I switched to the ripsaw 6gb (3 x2gb), which was listed on the MB approved ram list, and everything was fine including a clean memtest run.
m
l
Related resources
February 25, 2012 10:52:48 PM

try each card indiviually under heavy duty and see what happens
m
l
February 25, 2012 10:58:37 PM

h3sham said:
try each card indiviually under heavy duty and see what happens

There is no video when I turn my system on, not even a monitor flicker, no way to boot up and test anything. When I hit the power button all the fans come on, including the video card fans, and the harddrive is doing its thing so it seems like everything is booting up normally.

I'm looking for suggestions to pinpoint the immediate problem of no video when I attempt to boot, other tests can be run once I can see what I'm doing.
m
l

Best solution

February 25, 2012 11:02:28 PM

well installing the system speakers helps alot....the beeps will tell you where the problem is
February 26, 2012 5:36:36 PM

Best answer selected by crictor.
m
l
February 26, 2012 5:39:52 PM

h3sham said:
well installing the system speakers helps alot....the beeps will tell you where the problem is

You mean the single POST beep that signifies a normal boot-up that has been stated twice? Or are you referring to my magical DMM that beeps faster the closer I get to the problem?
m
l
February 26, 2012 9:37:47 PM

hmm i was refereing to the normal boot up beep sound my bad,Do you have another monitor or the necessary wires for tv hook up in order to insure there is no problem with your monitor. Even a different VGA cable just to ensure the problem isn't external?

If that's no good, and you're comfortable doing so, try taking out your graphics card and attempting a start after that.

also do you to have a spare PSU lying around?

if you do try with it and see what happens
m
l
February 26, 2012 9:45:40 PM

i would suggest taking everything out and leaving only the CPU/motherboard/1 stick of ram/psu/each of the GPUs on its own and try,then try another ram and so on,then try all of em together,if it only doesnt display when you are using crossfire mode maybe you need to RMA your MB or the GPUs and idk a way to tell which of them
m
l
February 27, 2012 3:28:00 AM

h3sham said:
i would suggest taking everything out and leaving only the CPU/motherboard/1 stick of ram/psu/each of the GPUs on its own and try,then try another ram and so on,then try all of em together,if it only doesnt display when you are using crossfire mode maybe you need to RMA your MB or the GPUs and idk a way to tell which of them

Ok I just tried booting with only the cpu and I get a long beep with two shorts. The asus website says this means there's no RAM detected, which is right, so I install a single stick and try booting with no beeps. The asus website says that if you get no beeps once the RAM is installed then the RAM is either not compatible with each other or not compatible with the motherboard. This is false because the RAM is a set, on the list of approved RAM for the board and have worked perfectly for months now.
So it looks like my board took a poo, I have read a few similar posts about these boards dying on people. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/271671-30-asus-m4a79x...

Unless you have any other ideas it looks like Ill have to order another board. I think I might get a gigabyte board this time, I have never had a problem with any of their products... what do you think?

Thanks a lot for the help. Sorry for being a jerk before, I wasn't sure if you were caring about what you were writing.
m
l
March 1, 2012 10:58:14 PM

sorry for the late reply ive been kind of busy told my friend to check on things here but he only was looking at the mobo/ram section anyway its ok dun worry about ,i ran outta ideas so you might realy have to get a new one go with ASRock then consider gigabyte if you didnt find what you need,the only merit i give gigabyte is teh dual bios its a blessing aside from that ASRock is alot better , your choice
m
l
!