theuberleetguy

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011
I have recently upgraded my PC from a HD 5830 to a HD 6950 and I have been noticing some performance issues with it. On Crysis I have been getting an average of 35 FPS with the lowest FPS being about 10. This is on all settings very high and no AA, it is fine in any interior areas but the FPS is really low in outside areas. This again happens on GTA 4 and Skyrim with the FPS Dropping very low and sometimes freezing in outdoor sections on not-to-high graphical settings. This even happens in Mass Effect 2 when everything is at a fine 60fps and when I turn around it freezes and then resumes at 60 FPS. However some games seem to run better on the new card, these are Battlefield 3 and TF2. I have checked the temperatures and voltages and the all seem to be fine. I have also used Driver Cleaner to clean up all the old drivers and install new ones but to no avail. My old 5830 Could run these games better than this! What I'm trying to ask you guys is how will I be able to improve the perfomance in these games.

My PC Specs: AMD Phenom II X4 955
8gbs 1600mhz ram
Asus EAH6950 2gb 6950
Asus M4A88t-M Motherboard
OCZ Stealthxstream 500w

I have also run Uniengine benchmark and it has produced these results:

Heaven Benchmark v2.5 Basic
FPS:
Scores:
Min FPS:
Max FPS:
Hardware
Binary:
Windows 32bit Visual C++ 1600 Release Mar 1 2011
Operating system:
Windows 7 (build 7601, Service Pack 1) 64bit
CPU model:
AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor
CPU flags:
3214MHz MMX+ 3DNow!+ SSE SSE2 SSE3 SSE4A HTT
GPU model:
AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series 8.920.0.0 2048Mb
Settings
Render:
direct3d11
Mode:
1920x1080 4xAA fullscreen
Shaders:
high
Textures:
high
Filter:
trilinear
Anisotropy:
4x
Occlusion:
enabled
Refraction:
enabled
Volumetric:
enabled
Tessellation:
normal

Is this normal for the card and specs or sub-par?
And I'm also sorry if I've posted in the wrong section or something as I am new here.

Is your 6950 overclocked? What case do you have? Remember, the 6950 has some power management features and will downclock itself if it's stressed (so it doesn't look like fermi when running furmark :p). Adjust the "Power Tune" power limit in your drivers +20% and see if that doesn't fix things. If your case has poor airflow the card could also be overheating and drawing more power.

theuberleetguy

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011
Thanks for the replies! :D It was not overclocked, no and I have the coolermaster elite 430 And it won't let me adjust the power limit brcause it says "clock setting are applied only when GPU is running in high-performance mode" How do I fix this? Oh and i'ts also running on load at aroung 60 degrees celsius.

theuberleetguy

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011
I'm still not sure what the problem is as I can run more modern games such as Crysis 2 and BF3 Maxed out but not Crysis. Maybe A driver problem? D:

To adjust the "Power Control" settings you have to click on the little lock icon to unlock it and then enable ATI Overdrive. Leave the clocks alone. I also recommend adjusting the fan speed to 90% but that's just me ^_^.