-Mobo load LEDs come on

-HDD starts spin up

-System Fans start

-All shuts down

-pauses maybe 15-30 seconds

-all steps repeat and will continue over and over

Components are as follows:

-Gigabyte GV-R6850-1GD Graphics Card

-GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

-Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core

-2 x G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-17000CL11D-8GBSR

-2 x Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive (for Raid 0 System disk)

-CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

-COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP Black Steel + Plastic and Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Thanks in advance!
February 26, 2012 11:09:46 PM

Sounds a whole lot like a RAM problem to me.

Do you have any 1333 RAM you can borrow from somebody to see if it works in your PC?

Also, you might try pushing it in harder. Sometimes when the clips latch it still isn't all the way in.
m
l
February 26, 2012 11:44:25 PM

Raiddinn said:
Sounds a whole lot like a RAM problem to me.

Do you have any 1333 RAM you can borrow from somebody to see if it works in your PC?

Also, you might try pushing it in harder. Sometimes when the clips latch it still isn't all the way in.

Hi Raiddinn,

Thanks for the suggestion - I did try removing the RAM - that changed things slightly; got a series of long beeps which the MoBo manual says is a video card not inserted correctly. I have disconnected everything at one time or another with no change in symptoms, except when I removed the RAM.

I will see if I can get some different RAM to try.
m
l
Related resources
February 27, 2012 2:05:18 PM

With no RAM of any kind it should probably give a no RAM error instead of a no video card error. That is kinda weird.

Oh well, hopefully you can borrow a different set of RAM to test with.
m
l
March 6, 2012 1:31:55 AM

Raiddinn said:
With no RAM of any kind it should probably give a no RAM error instead of a no video card error. That is kinda weird.

Oh well, hopefully you can borrow a different set of RAM to test with.

I was able to try it with some different RAM - a 1333 stick. The computer starts up and no longer shuts down, but still won't boot into BIOS screen.

What it now does is start up, emit a beep as it might normally, but there's no video. Inside, it sounds like it's going through the right motions (drives spin up, fans all come on). The CPU load lights come on at first, but after a short time, turn off. The CPU fan turns on initially, then stops, then turns on and stays on. After that, it just sits there with the fans going, not doing anything.

Seems like the RAM may have been a factor; not sure what the problem is now.

thanks in advance
m
l

Best solution

March 6, 2012 8:10:08 PM

Try taking out the video card and using the video off your processor through the rear HDMI port instead.

Do you have access to anything else usable for testing?

A different video card maybe?
March 8, 2012 2:45:36 AM

Best answer selected by gogzhad.
m
l
March 8, 2012 2:47:00 AM

Thanks to Raiddinn for some great advice. I am pretty sure it was a memory problem, was able to get to the BIOS after swapping out the RAM. I think it'll come together pretty easily from here.

Thanks again!
m
l
March 8, 2012 8:29:12 PM

Glad to assist.
m
l
!