Need advice on HD6870 vs GTX 560.

nobel

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
Hi!

I recently decided that my old system needs an overhaul, and i have everything planned out except for the graphics card.

So far this is my list:

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO
CPU: Intel i5 2500K
RAM: Corsair Dominator DHX DDR3 1333MHz 8GB

I've come to the conclusion that these are pretty decent parts for my budget, but any input is appriciated!

After reading a bunch of reviews and checking benchmarks, I am having trouble deciding on the GPU tho.

My budget is around 140 GBP / 230 USD, but do keep in mind that i am from Denmark, and prices here might be slighly different.
I am looking to play an assortment of games at 1920x1200 (Skyrim, Batman: Arkham City and such).

Right now I'm really keen on the ASUS Radeon HD6870 1GB GDDR5. It is right on the budget i mentioned above, and to me it seems like great value.
ASUS Radeon HD6870 1GB

The direct contender seems to be the ASUS Geforce GTX 560 1GB, and this card also comes in right on budget (slightly cheaper than the Radeon card).
ASUS Geforce GTX 560 1GB

The budget is not set in stone. I am willing to go over by maybe 40-50 USD if it can buy me a substantial performance increase.

Any input is welcome!

Thanks!

beltzy

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
The GTX card is within a few percent. These two cards are very good competitors and there is no wrong decision. Couple things to keep in mind:

1) Brand preference is ok
2) GTX cards provide Physx (does physics calculations in a handful of games that feature the option and is pretty cool)
3) AMD has better multi-monitor support (for 3 monitors on a single card)

I'd honestly refrain from recommending one above the other since they're priced the same.

4745454b

Titan
This is a bit like asking if you should buy energizer or Duracell batteries. (or whatever you use over in Denmark.) As you said, "direct competitor", so one really isn't better then the other.

With that in mind, I'd pick the GTX560. You said it was slightly cheaper then the Radeon, so why pay more for similar performance? You also mentioned Skyrim and Batman:AC. I think Skyrim runs better on Nvidia cards (SLI does at least.) and with Batman:AC you can use PhysX. (AA has it, I'm assuming AC does as well.) In your case the GTX560 makes a (tiny) bit more sense.

jamie_1318

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2010
I usually prefer Nvidia cards because of better drivers, Cuba and 3D-Vision. If you could stretch your budget the 560 Ti and than 560 Ti / 560 Ti 448 core provide better performance per dollar run a little higher. (30$ more for TI, 70$ more for 448 Core) but the Ti is about 20% faster and the 448 core is about 40% faster depending on how you your monitor settings.

nobel

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006

Thanks to everyone for the great advice!

Pretty much everyone seems to agree that the GTX560 is the better choice (or the 560TI if i can convince myself to shell out a little more).

The last time i upgraded my graphics (I'm currently running a HD4870), the Radeon series were pretty much king of the "sweet spot" (optimal price/performance). It seems like Nvidia are very competetive this time around, and i think I'll go with a Geforce card.

4745454b

Titan
The fact your in Denmark might have something to do with that. Usually its the Radeon cards that are cheaper. Assuming the Radeon was cheaper I'd buy that one. I don't play any games that use PhysX.

BTW, the GTX560 usually OCs better then the 6870. Another reason to buy that card.

nobel

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
The fact your in Denmark might have something to do with that. Usually its the Radeon cards that are cheaper. Assuming the Radeon was cheaper I'd buy that one. I don't play any games that use PhysX.

BTW, the GTX560 usually OCs better then the 6870. Another reason to buy that card.[/quotemsg]

Thank you for helping me make this decision!

One last thing:

On the site I'm looking at, there is another edition of the GTX 560, also by ASUS.
(The URL code is giving me trouble, so you will have to do with this:)
http://www.komplett.dk/k/ki.aspx?sku=635208

Is there any idea in ordering one of these? Its around 40 USD more expensive then the first GTX560 i posted. Im worried that the big-ass cooler might not warrant what i fear is only a minor performance difference. Also, at that price i suspect i can find a 560TI instead.

Thank you again. I hope to put in my order later this afternoon :)

bcmonks

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011

Thank you for helping me make this decision!

One last thing:

On the site I'm looking at, there is another edition of the GTX 560, also by ASUS.
(The URL code is giving me trouble, so you will have to do with this:)
http://www.komplett.dk/k/ki.aspx?sku=635208

Is there any idea in ordering one of these? Its around 40 USD more expensive then the first GTX560 i posted. Im worried that the big-ass cooler might not warrant what i fear is only a minor performance difference. Also, at that price i suspect i can find a 560TI instead.

Thank you again. I hope to put in my order later this afternoon :)[/quotemsg]

The 560Ti that amuffin posted has superior cooling compared to the asus that you posted, because of the twin frozr design MSI uses. I don't think anyone has asked you this yet, but what type of PSU do you have? Just so we know you can actually use these. :p

nobel

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006

The 560Ti that amuffin posted has superior cooling compared to the asus that you posted, because of the twin frozr design MSI uses. I don't think anyone has asked you this yet, but what type of PSU do you have? Just so we know you can actually use these. :p[/quotemsg]

I'm using a modular Corsair 650 Watt HX. I'm only looking at the ASUS hardware because I have had no problems with them in the past. If you can vouch for the MSI 560TI I'd be willing to give it a shot. The MSI is just about as much as i am willing to spend, so if It's a good card i will go for it.

nobel

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
Also, it seems i messed up the post-quotes and its now effecting everyone. I hope you can find your way around the post. It wont let me edit the post :)

bcmonks

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011

I agree, Superior cooling indeed.