Verizon released the Treo 650 today.

A question though. I have both Verizon and TMobile service. I use
TMobile for travel to Europe with a SonyErricson T610. As I understand
it the Treo uses a SIM card. Is it possible to take out the Verizon SIM
and replace it with the TMobile SIM and use the phone with TMobile and
vice-versa?

How would one go about doing this since TMobile does not carry the 650
and according to their rep they have no plans to carry it.

--
Take out the "REMOVE" in the return address to reply
6 answers Last reply

    "Carl Price" <carl.price@comcast.REMOVETHIS.net> wrote in message
    > Verizon released the Treo 650 today.
    >
    > A question though. I have both Verizon and TMobile service. I use
    > TMobile for travel to Europe with a SonyErricson T610. As I understand
    > it the Treo uses a SIM card. Is it possible to take out the Verizon SIM
    > and replace it with the TMobile SIM and use the phone with TMobile and
    > vice-versa?
    >
    > How would one go about doing this since TMobile does not carry the 650
    > and according to their rep they have no plans to carry it.
    >
    > --
    > Take out the "REMOVE" in the return address to reply

    This phone is probably "locked" so that it will only work with Verizon SIM
    cards. I know this holds true for the Treo 650 being sold by Cingular.
    However, for about $20 to $30, you can have it "unlocked" so that it will
    take any SIM card.

    Carl Price wrote:
    > Verizon released the Treo 650 today.
    >
    > A question though. I have both Verizon and TMobile service. I use
    > TMobile for travel to Europe with a SonyErricson T610. As I
    > understand it the Treo uses a SIM card. Is it possible to take out
    > the Verizon SIM and replace it with the TMobile SIM and use the phone
    > with TMobile and vice-versa?
    >
    > How would one go about doing this since TMobile does not carry the 650
    > and according to their rep they have no plans to carry it.

    There are two Treo 650 models. The one using a SIM is the quadband GSM
    model. The one Verizon (and Sprint) have is a dualband CDMA model, no SIM
    allowed.Visit http://www.palmone.com/ .

    John C.

    this phone will work with GSM and CDMA after being unlocked? I didn't
    know CDMA even had SIM cards...

    On Wed, 25 May 2005 15:11:36 GMT, "punk-tilous"
    <punktilious@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >"Carl Price" <carl.price@comcast.REMOVETHIS.net> wrote in message
    >> Verizon released the Treo 650 today.
    >>
    >> A question though. I have both Verizon and TMobile service. I use
    >> TMobile for travel to Europe with a SonyErricson T610. As I understand
    >> it the Treo uses a SIM card. Is it possible to take out the Verizon SIM
    >> and replace it with the TMobile SIM and use the phone with TMobile and
    >> vice-versa?
    >>
    >> How would one go about doing this since TMobile does not carry the 650
    >> and according to their rep they have no plans to carry it.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Take out the "REMOVE" in the return address to reply
    >
    >This phone is probably "locked" so that it will only work with Verizon SIM
    >cards. I know this holds true for the Treo 650 being sold by Cingular.
    >However, for about $20 to $30, you can have it "unlocked" so that it will
    >take any SIM card.

    The phone released by Verizon is different that the same phone from other
    carriers. The Verizon model is CDMA only and does not have a SIM Card that
    can be taken out and changed.

    Bruce D. Brown

    "Carl Price" <carl.price@comcast.REMOVETHIS.net> wrote in message
    > Verizon released the Treo 650 today.
    >
    > A question though. I have both Verizon and TMobile service. I use
    > TMobile for travel to Europe with a SonyErricson T610. As I understand
    > it the Treo uses a SIM card. Is it possible to take out the Verizon SIM
    > and replace it with the TMobile SIM and use the phone with TMobile and
    > vice-versa?
    >
    > How would one go about doing this since TMobile does not carry the 650
    > and according to their rep they have no plans to carry it.
    >
    > --
    > Take out the "REMOVE" in the return address to reply

    On Wed, 25 May 2005 00:43:34 -0400, Carl Price
    <carl.price@comcast.REMOVETHIS.net> wrote:

    >Verizon released the Treo 650 today.
    >
    >A question though. I have both Verizon and TMobile service. I use
    >TMobile for travel to Europe with a SonyErricson T610. As I understand
    >it the Treo uses a SIM card. Is it possible to take out the Verizon SIM
    >and replace it with the TMobile SIM and use the phone with TMobile and
    >vice-versa?
    >
    >How would one go about doing this since TMobile does not carry the 650
    >and according to their rep they have no plans to carry it.

    Impossible.

    Verizon (and Sprint) uses a different technology than other carriers.
    It's called CDMA and (at least in the US implementation) does NOT use
    a SIM card. If you want to use a GSM phone you'll need to get the
    phone from Cingular or T-Mobile. (I don't think T-Mobile has the 650
    yet, but at least it uses GSM with a SIM card.)

    The two phones (Treo 650- CDMA and Treo 650-GSM) are very different
    and are not interchangable.

    No,

    The Verizon model is totally different that the T-Mobile version. The
    Verizon model uses CDMA technology while the T-Mobile uses GSM technology.
    There is not a sim card in the Verizon phone to change or replace.

    In other words the answer is "NO."

    Bruce D. Brown

    "singha_lvr" <singha_lvr@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 25 May 2005 00:43:34 -0400, Carl Price
    > <carl.price@comcast.REMOVETHIS.net> wrote:
    >
    >>Verizon released the Treo 650 today.
    >>
    >>A question though. I have both Verizon and TMobile service. I use
    >>TMobile for travel to Europe with a SonyErricson T610. As I understand
    >>it the Treo uses a SIM card. Is it possible to take out the Verizon SIM
    >>and replace it with the TMobile SIM and use the phone with TMobile and
    >>vice-versa?
    >>
    >>How would one go about doing this since TMobile does not carry the 650
    >>and according to their rep they have no plans to carry it.
    >
    > Impossible.
    >
    > Verizon (and Sprint) uses a different technology than other carriers.
    > It's called CDMA and (at least in the US implementation) does NOT use
    > a SIM card. If you want to use a GSM phone you'll need to get the
    > phone from Cingular or T-Mobile. (I don't think T-Mobile has the 650
    > yet, but at least it uses GSM with a SIM card.)
    >
    > The two phones (Treo 650- CDMA and Treo 650-GSM) are very different
    > and are not interchangable.

GSM Verizon Treo