Verizon released the Treo 650 today.

Last response: in Technologies
May 25, 2005 4:43:34 AM

Verizon released the Treo 650 today.

A question though. I have both Verizon and TMobile service. I use
TMobile for travel to Europe with a SonyErricson T610. As I understand
it the Treo uses a SIM card. Is it possible to take out the Verizon SIM
and replace it with the TMobile SIM and use the phone with TMobile and
vice-versa?

How would one go about doing this since TMobile does not carry the 650
and according to their rep they have no plans to carry it.

--
Take out the "REMOVE" in the return address to reply
Anonymous

"Carl Price" <carl.price@comcast.REMOVETHIS.net> wrote in message
> Verizon released the Treo 650 today.
>
> A question though. I have both Verizon and TMobile service. I use
> TMobile for travel to Europe with a SonyErricson T610. As I understand
> it the Treo uses a SIM card. Is it possible to take out the Verizon SIM
> and replace it with the TMobile SIM and use the phone with TMobile and
> vice-versa?
>
> How would one go about doing this since TMobile does not carry the 650
> and according to their rep they have no plans to carry it.
>
> --
> Take out the "REMOVE" in the return address to reply

This phone is probably "locked" so that it will only work with Verizon SIM
cards. I know this holds true for the Treo 650 being sold by Cingular.
However, for about $20 to $30, you can have it "unlocked" so that it will
take any SIM card.
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 4:43:44 AM

Carl Price wrote:
> Verizon released the Treo 650 today.
>
> A question though. I have both Verizon and TMobile service. I use
> TMobile for travel to Europe with a SonyErricson T610. As I
> understand it the Treo uses a SIM card. Is it possible to take out
> the Verizon SIM and replace it with the TMobile SIM and use the phone
> with TMobile and vice-versa?
>
> How would one go about doing this since TMobile does not carry the 650
> and according to their rep they have no plans to carry it.

There are two Treo 650 models. The one using a SIM is the quadband GSM
model. The one Verizon (and Sprint) have is a dualband CDMA model, no SIM
allowed.Visit http://www.palmone.com/ .

John C.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
May 28, 2005 6:24:40 AM

this phone will work with GSM and CDMA after being unlocked? I didn't
know CDMA even had SIM cards...

On Wed, 25 May 2005 15:11:36 GMT, "punk-tilous"
<punktilious@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Carl Price" <carl.price@comcast.REMOVETHIS.net> wrote in message
>> Verizon released the Treo 650 today.
>>
>> A question though. I have both Verizon and TMobile service. I use
>> TMobile for travel to Europe with a SonyErricson T610. As I understand
>> it the Treo uses a SIM card. Is it possible to take out the Verizon SIM
>> and replace it with the TMobile SIM and use the phone with TMobile and
>> vice-versa?
>>
>> How would one go about doing this since TMobile does not carry the 650
>> and according to their rep they have no plans to carry it.
>>
>> --
>> Take out the "REMOVE" in the return address to reply
>
>This phone is probably "locked" so that it will only work with Verizon SIM
>cards. I know this holds true for the Treo 650 being sold by Cingular.
>However, for about $20 to $30, you can have it "unlocked" so that it will
>take any SIM card.

Anonymous
May 28, 2005 6:21:15 PM

The phone released by Verizon is different that the same phone from other
carriers. The Verizon model is CDMA only and does not have a SIM Card that
can be taken out and changed.

Bruce D. Brown

"Carl Price" <carl.price@comcast.REMOVETHIS.net> wrote in message
> Verizon released the Treo 650 today.
>
> A question though. I have both Verizon and TMobile service. I use
> TMobile for travel to Europe with a SonyErricson T610. As I understand
> it the Treo uses a SIM card. Is it possible to take out the Verizon SIM
> and replace it with the TMobile SIM and use the phone with TMobile and
> vice-versa?
>
> How would one go about doing this since TMobile does not carry the 650
> and according to their rep they have no plans to carry it.
>
> --
> Take out the "REMOVE" in the return address to reply
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 5:39:40 PM

On Wed, 25 May 2005 00:43:34 -0400, Carl Price
<carl.price@comcast.REMOVETHIS.net> wrote:

>Verizon released the Treo 650 today.
>
>A question though. I have both Verizon and TMobile service. I use
>TMobile for travel to Europe with a SonyErricson T610. As I understand
>it the Treo uses a SIM card. Is it possible to take out the Verizon SIM
>and replace it with the TMobile SIM and use the phone with TMobile and
>vice-versa?
>
>How would one go about doing this since TMobile does not carry the 650
>and according to their rep they have no plans to carry it.

Impossible.

Verizon (and Sprint) uses a different technology than other carriers.
It's called CDMA and (at least in the US implementation) does NOT use
a SIM card. If you want to use a GSM phone you'll need to get the
phone from Cingular or T-Mobile. (I don't think T-Mobile has the 650
yet, but at least it uses GSM with a SIM card.)

The two phones (Treo 650- CDMA and Treo 650-GSM) are very different
and are not interchangable.
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 12:15:58 AM

No,

The Verizon model is totally different that the T-Mobile version. The
Verizon model uses CDMA technology while the T-Mobile uses GSM technology.
There is not a sim card in the Verizon phone to change or replace.

In other words the answer is "NO."

Bruce D. Brown

!