technovice_85

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
Hello,
I would like to monitor my kid's internet activities such as what websites they go to etc. And I would like to block certain sites inappropriate to them. I've been told that a proxy server is what I need? What exactly is the right name for this type of system that I need "web proxy server", "internet proxy server"...? And is there a tutorial available?
Thanks.

A lot of what you want is already embedded in Internet Explorer. From the Tools menu, Security>Restricted Sites lets you add any site to a list they can't access and Content will allow you to enable the Content Adviser which lets you block selected content - violence, sex, etc.

The downside of all this is that youngsters have an instinctive and fearless approach to computing and will quickly overarch any settings you can put in so education and negotiation is often more effective

durand1035

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011

Sometimes, this instinctive and fearless approach to computing can be combatted by creating a non-administrative account for the kids. That way, they will not have the permissions to be able to change any of the settings you put in place.

Then they boot a live linux CD and it all falls apart. :D

I tried that for a customer and changed the router password - the little buggers phoned the ISP and answered Mum's security question then got the full methodology of changing it back. Kids - who'd have 'em?

In a similar situation, I blocked a kid from going to Facebook at her mother's request. Five days later I was called back in to reverse that because the School had reported that the child was being bullied for not being on Facebook.