Liam

Hay guys i have a problem. Im not sure what has caused this. I did download a
few bits of freeware which didnt seem to have any viruses. I have Antivirus
and spy blocking software all set up. Im running on windows XP. I am having
problems getting certain bits of software to run, such as msn messenger (The
ordinal 176 could not be located in the dynamic link library OLEAUT32.dll),
windows media player (same as before), my broadband medic (The ordinal 313
could not be located in the dynamic link library OLEAUT32.dll) and when i
restart it mentions something about and .dll file. There may be other things
not working but im sure its all caused by one problem. Im not very advanced
at these things could anyone give me an idea what could fix this. Thanks
alot. Liam

pop

Dangerous and malicious software is not always a virus; it this
started right after you ran any of those programs, it could be
one or more of them are what's referred to as malware.
Intentionally destructive programs. Or, they are programs not
recommended for your operating system and one of them replaced
system files with programs from a different operating system in
the "update".
IMO, this is about all that can reiliably be said since you
didn't mention any details about anything, eg os, apps, progs,
etc., other than what's not working.

If you know how, you could try a "Repair" reinstall from the CD,
but if you don't know how, you shouldn't; you could end up
formatting the drive and losing all you data and if it's not
backed up, it will be lost forever.

HTH,
Pop

"Liam" <Liam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Hay guys i have a problem. Im not sure what has caused this. I
did download a
| few bits of freeware which didnt seem to have any viruses. I
have Antivirus
| and spy blocking software all set up. Im running on windows XP.
I am having
| problems getting certain bits of software to run, such as msn
messenger (The
| ordinal 176 could not be located in the dynamic link library
OLEAUT32.dll),
| windows media player (same as before), my broadband medic (The
ordinal 313
| could not be located in the dynamic link library OLEAUT32.dll)
and when i
| restart it mentions something about and .dll file. There may be
other things
| not working but im sure its all caused by one problem. Im not
very advanced
| at these things could anyone give me an idea what could fix
this. Thanks
| alot. Liam

TRENDING THREADS