Sign in with
Your question

Hi! New here, Would love some help on which gaming PC I should get.

Last response: in Systems
February 25, 2012 5:40:03 PM

Hi. I have been looking for a Gaming PC for quite some time now. I prefer to custom build them online rather than myself. My budget is no more than $1850 and the PC I want is intended for 100% Gaming use. Would love some feedback / help to which one is better or to improve on one. Thank you. The first one is custom built.

1 x Case ( NZXT Guardian 921 RB Gaming Case - Black w/ Red Light )
1 x Case Lighting ( Cold Cathode Neon Light - Red )
0 x iBUYPOWER Labs - Noise Reduction ( None )
0 x iBUYPOWER Labs - Internal Expansion ( None )
1 x Processor ( Intel® Core™ i5-2500 Processor (4x 3.30GHz/6MB L3 Cache) )
0 x iBUYPOWER PowerDrive ( None )
1 x Processor Cooling ( Certified CPU Fan and Heatsink )
1 x Memory ( 8 GB [4 GB X2] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair Vengeance )
1 x Video Card ( AMD Radeon HD 7970 - 3GB - Single Card )
1 x Video Card Brand ( Major Brand Powered by AMD or NVIDIA )
1 x Motherboard ( [SLI] ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 -- 2x PCI-E 3.0 x16 )
0 x Intel Smart Response Technology ( None )
1 x Power Supply ( 850 Watt - Corsair CMPSU-850TXV2 )
1 x Primary Hard Drive ( 2 TB HARD DRIVE -- 64M Cache, 7200rpm, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive )
1 x Data Hard Drive ( 64 GB Kingston SSDNow V200 SSD - Single Drive )
1 x Optical Drive ( 24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Red )
0 x 2nd Optical Drive ( None )
0 x Flash Media Reader / Writer ( None )
0 x Meter Display ( None )
0 x USB Expansion ( None )
1 x Sound Card ( 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard )
1 x Network Card ( Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100) )
1 x Operating System ( Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium + Office Starter 2010 (Includes basic versions of Word and Excel) - 64-Bit )
1 x Keyboard ( iBUYPOWER USB Keyboard )
1 x Mouse ( iBUYPOWER Internet Mouse )
0 x Monitor ( None )
0 x 2nd Monitor ( None )
0 x Speaker System ( None )
0 x Video Camera ( None )
1 x Advanced Build Options ( Professional wiring for all cables inside the system tower - Achieve exceptional airflow in your chassis )
1 x Advanced Build Options ( Professional wiring for all cables inside the system tower - Basic Pro Wiring )
1 x Advanced Build Options ( Tuniq TX-2 High Performance Thermal Compound - The best interface between your CPU and the heatsinks )
0 x Case Engraving Service ( None )
1 x Warranty ( 3 Year Standard Warranty Service )
1 x Rush Service ( Rush Service Fee (not shipping fee) - No Rush Service, Estimate Ship Out in 5~10 Business Days )

EDITED

More about : love gaming

February 25, 2012 6:02:47 PM

You could build an awesome system for $1,850. I'd recommend building a similar system to the first one and instead grab a 7970.
February 25, 2012 6:16:53 PM

Thank you for your input. Is the 7950 a good option? That puts me nearer to my budget rather than the 7970 sadly.
Related resources
February 25, 2012 6:27:35 PM

i5- 2500k or 2500 (if you dont overclock) is the best gaming cpu for the price. no need to get the i7

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-o...

"CPUs priced over $220 offer rapidly diminishing returns when it comes to game performance. As such, we have a hard time recommending anything more expensive than the Core i5-2500K, especially since this multiplier-unlocked processor can be tuned to great effect if more performance is desired. Even at stock clocks, it meets or beats the $1000 Core i7-990X Extreme Edition when it comes to gaming."
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
February 25, 2012 6:32:42 PM

1 x Power Supply ( 800 Watt - Standard )

WTH is "standard"? with an investment like that to rely on something labeled as "standard" well . . . is scary!
February 25, 2012 6:36:30 PM

Anonymous said:

WTH is "standard"? with an investment like that to rely on something labeled as "standard" well . . . is scary!

+1 yes do NOT get a cheap power supply. I bought a cheap power supply and it blew up in a year and a half talking out everything except my hard drive. Lesson learned the hardway. Well worth the extra money buying a good reputable power supply. :wahoo: 
February 25, 2012 6:36:43 PM

A 7950 is a very good choice. You can push it a little to reach the 7970's power.

And as it has been stated, an i5 2500(k) is very sufficient.
February 25, 2012 6:41:08 PM

Anonymous said:

Thank you! I can upgrade to a 850 Watt - Corsair CMPSU-850TXV2 or 1000 Watt - Extreme Gaming Series. Suggestions?
February 25, 2012 6:52:08 PM

I would pick some Enermax Modu 87+ PSU.
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
February 25, 2012 6:56:23 PM

HeavyToolbox said:
Thank you! I can upgrade to a 850 Watt - Corsair CMPSU-850TXV2 or 1000 Watt - Extreme Gaming Series. Suggestions?

NICE! :) 

the 850 would suffice, even if you decide to toss in another 580 down the road . but if you do that AND put in another SSD and a few more hard drives, you might want to think about 1000W. (but that might be overkill)

but really a good PSU.

tmi: seeing a 70 amp 12 volt rail gave me a chubby.
February 25, 2012 7:00:34 PM

Quote:
i5- 2500k or 2500 (if you dont overclock) is the best gaming cpu for the price. no need to get the i7

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-o...

"CPUs priced over $220 offer rapidly diminishing returns when it comes to game performance. As such, we have a hard time recommending anything more expensive than the Core i5-2500K, especially since this multiplier-unlocked processor can be tuned to great effect if more performance is desired. Even at stock clocks, it meets or beats the $1000 Core i7-990X Extreme Edition when it comes to gaming."

Forget about that, if you can spend anything more than $1000 then you deserve an i7-2600K to catch up with everything else. An i5 may just barely be sufficient enough to feed a single GTX 580, but if you want to do anything more than that or upgrade something later, you're definitely gonna need that i7.
February 25, 2012 7:05:59 PM

Anonymous said:
NICE! :) 

the 850 would suffice, even if you decide to toss in another 580 down the road . but if you do that AND put in another SSD and a few more hard drives, you might want to think about 1000W. (but that might be overkill)

but really a good PSU.

tmi: seeing a 70 amp 12 volt rail gave me a chubby.

Phew, that makes me feel so much better. Last question before I post my updated version. I will go with a i5 2500, but I can get i5 2550 for no cost. I assume there isn't a big difference but just want to make sure. I used the money that I gained back from switching to an i5 and put it towards more SSD and can get that 7970.

Edit: Well the above poster has a good point. Now I'm a little confused on the processor.
a b 4 Gaming
February 25, 2012 7:17:01 PM

v-lx is crappy board. I suggest at least a p8z68-v pro/gen 3.
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
February 25, 2012 7:20:24 PM

richboyliang said:
An i5 may just barely be sufficient enough to feed a single GTX 580, but if you want to do anything more than that or upgrade something later, you're definitely gonna need that i7.

do you have something to back up your personal wisdom please?
February 25, 2012 7:24:36 PM

amuffin said:
v-lx is crappy board. I suggest at least a p8z68-v pro/gen 3.

Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3?
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
February 25, 2012 7:48:12 PM

HeavyToolbox said:
Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3?

that most likely be better, it allows you to "upgrade" to PCI-E 3.0, if you get an ivy bridge cpu later, which would improve the performance of your graphics card should you ever use the second X16 slot (which runs @ x4 speed)

also i have been looking around for something that gives empirical evidence that a 580 sli, let alone a single card solution, would bottle neck a i5 2500k.

it took a 580 tri sli to bottleneck a i7 965 @ 3750 MHz, which isn't THAT much better than an OC'd i5 2500k, so it should be fine.

btw, i hope you are having a pleasant experience with all the suggestions. please post your updated choices if you care to. i am sure there would be someone that noticed you really haven't addressed the cooling solution for your CPU, the heatsink and fan, other than "Certified CPU Fan and Heatsink " :) 
February 25, 2012 8:12:13 PM

Here's the updated one. I had just a tad money extra so I decided to roll the i7 2700. If this choice is not the right one, please do inform =).

1 x Processor ( Intel® Core™ i7-2700K Processor (4x 3.50GHz/8MB L3 Cache) )
1 x Memory ( 16 GB [4 GB X4] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair or Major Brand - FREE Upgrade to Corsair XMS3 )
1 x Motherboard ( Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 )
1 x Primary Hard Drive ( 2 TB HARD DRIVE -- 64M Cache, 7200rpm, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive )
1 x Optical Drive ( [12X Blu-Ray] LG BLU-RAY Reader, DVD±R/±RW Burner Combo Drive - Black )
1 x Operating System ( Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium + Office Starter 2010 (Includes basic versions of Word and Excel) - 64-Bit )
0 x Monitor ( None )
0 x 2nd Monitor ( None )
1 x Advanced Build Options ( Professional wiring for all cables inside the system tower - Achieve exceptional airflow in your chassis )
1 x Advanced Build Options ( Professional wiring for all cables inside the system tower - Basic Pro Wiring )
1 x Advanced Build Options ( Tuniq TX-2 High Performance Thermal Compound - The best interface between your CPU and the heatsinks )
1 x Rush Service ( Rush Service Fee (not shipping fee) - No Rush Service, Estimate Ship Out in 5~10 Business Days )
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
February 25, 2012 8:24:56 PM

what choices do you have for that?

with a i7-2700K, it begs to be overclocked, simply by raising the multiplier, it would be a good idea to get a cooling solution that would provided better than "certified" protection.
a b 4 Gaming
February 25, 2012 8:26:42 PM

Do not get any of those. What motherboard options do they have? I seriously suggest you get at least one of the z68x-ud boards or a p8z68-v pro/gen 3. The boards you have choosen are all low end.
February 25, 2012 8:29:46 PM

Anonymous said:

what choices do you have for that?

with a i7-2700K, it begs to be overclocked, simply by raising the multiplier, it would be a good idea to get a cooling solution that would provided better than "certified" protection.

Asetek 550LC Liquid CPU Cooling System or Liquid CPU Cooling System [SOCKET-1155]

I have never attempted Liquid Cooling and fear that it may be too much for me to handle. But I am unaware if it's tougher or simpler than most people say.
February 25, 2012 8:32:22 PM

amuffin said:
Do not get any of those. What motherboard options do they have? I seriously suggest you get at least one of the z68x-ud boards or a p8z68-v pro/gen 3. The boards you have choosen are all low end.

I can get [SLI] Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 -- 3x PCI-E 2.0 x16, Lucid Virtu Technology or [SLI] ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 -- 2x PCI-E 3.0 x16. Both would take me over my budget but if you think they're worth it, by all means say so.
February 25, 2012 8:33:45 PM

HeavyToolbox said:
Asetek 550LC Liquid CPU Cooling System or Liquid CPU Cooling System [SOCKET-1155]

I have never attempted Liquid Cooling and fear that it may be too much for me to handle. But I am unaware if it's tougher or simpler than most people say.

depends.... if its an "all in one" solution such as the corsair h100 or h80 then it should be fine. if its a custom one then it will need maintence. by that i mean at the very least you will need to drain and replace the fluid once a year.

but like i say if its a corsair h100 or similar then go 4 it if u have the money to burn.

i take it you will be overclocking this pc? if not then you should say because you would be throwing a huge amount of money away......
a b 4 Gaming
February 25, 2012 8:36:06 PM

Please get the asrock board, I have that exact same one and it is awesome :love: 
February 25, 2012 8:42:25 PM

rossaw said:
i take it you will be overclocking this pc? if not then you should say because you would be throwing a huge amount of money away......

Why would ya say that? Just out of curiosity.
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
February 25, 2012 8:44:50 PM

rossaw said:
depends.... if its an "all in one" solution such as the corsair h100 or h80 then it should be fine. if its a custom one then it will need maintence. by that i mean at the very least you will need to drain and replace the fluid once a year.

but like i say if its a corsair h100 or similar then go 4 it if u have the money to burn.

+1 on the cash ouch!

no other "air" solution? it might be better to get a heatsink/fan from newegg and install it yourself.
February 25, 2012 8:47:39 PM

HeavyToolbox said:
Why would ya say that? Just out of curiosity.

for example.

if you are looking at a 2500k, this is exactly the same as a 2500 except it cost slightly more and you can overclock it. if you are not going to overclock it then why pay for the k?

and there is no reason to get any special cooling if you are not overclocking.

dont get a z68 (or whatever) or p67 (or whatever) chipset motherboard, these cost more as you can overclock on them, if you are not overclocking then save a load of money and get a h61 (again, or whatever) motherboard as it will do the same job for you.

please could another member go through this again, as im used to older tech nd cant remember all the correct chipset models lol :p 
February 25, 2012 8:48:00 PM

Anonymous said:
+1 on the cash ouch!

no other "air" solution? it might be better to get a heatsink/fan from newegg and install it yourself.

I can get this w/ the liquid cooling option. ARC Dual Silent High Perfornamce Fan Upgrade (Push-Pull Airflow)
February 25, 2012 8:52:44 PM

rossaw said:
for example.

if you are looking at a 2500k, this is exactly the same as a 2500 except it cost slightly more and you can overclock it. if you are not going to overclock it then why pay for the k?

and there is no reason to get any special cooling if you are not overclocking.

dont get a z68 (or whatever) or p67 (or whatever) chipset motherboard, these cost more as you can overclock on them, if you are not overclocking then save a load of money and get a h61 (again, or whatever) motherboard as it will do the same job for you.

please could another member go through this again, as im used to older tech nd cant remember all the correct chipset models lol :p 

Alright, thank you. I understand a lot more. SO if I didn't want to overclock and roll a i5 2500, would that option be fine for my gaming experience? Or would you recommend me grabbing the 2500k / 2700k and overclocking?

And would the liquid cooling be advised for the overclocking options ONLY? Sorry for the questions but I am looking for this PC to hold me quite some time :) 
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
February 25, 2012 8:54:06 PM

HeavyToolbox said:
I can get this w/ the liquid cooling option. ARC Dual Silent High Perfornamce Fan Upgrade (Push-Pull Airflow)

i mean something like:

and don't everyone scoff, fastest image i could find
February 25, 2012 8:54:32 PM

HeavyToolbox said:

I'm confused as to what this is :S

Any well to tell what the actual model the cpu cooler is?

again if you are not overclocking then its probably not worth it unless silence is of high priority.....
February 25, 2012 8:57:41 PM

rossaw said:

again if you are not overclocking then its probably not worth it unless silence is of high priority.....

Alright, this should be my last question and I'll post my final update. Would you advise overclocking for my gaming experience? or save an extra $200 not investing in the 2700k and Cooling? Thanks once again!
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
February 25, 2012 8:58:15 PM

rossaw said:

i think he means the fans on the radiator . .
February 25, 2012 8:58:53 PM

HeavyToolbox said:
Alright, thank you. I understand a lot more. SO if I didn't want to overclock and roll a i5 2500, would that option be fine for my gaming experience? Or would you recommend me grabbing the 2500k / 2700k and overclocking?

And would the liquid cooling be advised for the overclocking options ONLY? Sorry for the questions but I am looking for this PC to hold me quite some time :) 

2500 is about as good as it gets right now for gaming without overclocking.....

2600 and 2700 models may well be better but the main thing they offer is hyperthreading which just really isnt going to be of much concern to you i would imagine.....

if you are willing to overclock then im going to say a overclocked 2500k will easily kill any non overclocked cpu by a large margin.....

also there probably isn't a better (well easier) way to learn overclocking than with an 2500k. just make sure you post ur final specs before you order so we can make sure it will be ok.
February 25, 2012 9:02:17 PM

HeavyToolbox said:
Alright, this should be my last question and I'll post my final update. Would you advise overclocking for my gaming experience? or save an extra $200 not investing in the 2700k and Cooling? Thanks once again!

im going to leave some other people to say their opion on this as i feel stressed by the thought u are going to order your system based on my posts LOL

but my personal thoughts are overclocking an 2500k is defo going to be far more cost effective (for gaming at the very least) than spending extra money on another more expensive, non overclocked cpu
February 25, 2012 9:02:57 PM

Anonymous said:
i think he means the fans on the radiator . .

i know but which cpu cooler???
February 25, 2012 9:08:24 PM

rossaw said:
2500 is about as good as it gets right now for gaming without overclocking.....

2600 and 2700 models may well be better but the main thing they offer is hyperthreading which just really isnt going to be of much concern to you i would imagine.....

if you are willing to overclock then im going to say a overclocked 2500k will easily kill any non overclocked cpu by a large margin.....

also there probably isn't a better (well easier) way to learn overclocking than with an 2500k. just make sure you post ur final specs before you order so we can make sure it will be ok.

Just what I wanted to hear, thank you. I might as well go for the 2500k just in case I feel like learning to overclock a bit more. Now I'm back to the liquid cooling part. There's an option for Dual fans WITH the liquid cooling. I assume that'd be the one I'd want but again my liquid cooling experience is none.

Well you and Looniam seem intelligent. I am looking at these parts as well.
February 25, 2012 9:14:33 PM

HeavyToolbox said:
Just what I wanted to hear, thank you. I might as well go for the 2500k just in case I feel like learning to overclock a bit more. Now I'm back to the liquid cooling part. There's an option for Dual fans WITH the liquid cooling. I assume that'd be the one I'd want but again my liquid cooling experience is none.

your not giving us any kind of insight as to which liquid cooling or air cooling you are talking about (i imagine its not your fault but the murchents lack of info)

this makes it very hard to give advice....

i can only repeat what i said before and say that if its a "proper" water cooled set up then you will have to drain it once a year, and ideally clean in properly once every couple of years.....

to be honest i would just stay with high quality air cooling, but again you dont seam to know which model, or manufacturer, air cooling you are ordering, so this makes it hard to say weather its a good one or bad one.....

if you are going the 2500k route then please make sure you get a good motherboard. as i said i dont know much about the newer tech so make sure you run it past those on hear that do.

edit, really bad spelling and grammar, but far to lazy to correct
February 25, 2012 9:19:10 PM

rossaw said:
your not giving us any kind of insight as to which liquid cooling or air cooling you are talking about (i imagine its not your fault but the murchents lack of info)

this makes it very hard to give advice....

i can only repeat what i said before and say that if its a "proper" water cooled set up then you will have to drain it once a year, and ideally clean in properly once every couple of years.....

to be honest i would just stay with high quality air cooling, but again you dont seam to know which model, or manufacturer, air cooling you are ordering, so this makes it hard to say weather its a good one or bad one.....

if you are going the 2500k route then please make sure you get a good motherboard. as i said i dont know much about the newer tech so make sure you run it past those on hear that do.

edit, really bad spelling and grammar, but far to lazy to correct

My apologies but the site gives me no further information with the fans and water cooling. Can't help that, sorry. And a guy above said his [SLI] ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 -- 2x PCI-E 3.0 x16 Motherboard is awesome. That's the one I have set up. Final specs coming up :) 

On second thought, I'll skip the liquid cooling and overclocking.
February 25, 2012 9:23:19 PM

1 x Memory ( 16 GB [4 GB X4] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair or Major Brand - FREE Upgrade to Corsair XMS3 )
1 x Optical Drive ( 24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Red )
0 x Monitor ( None )
0 x 2nd Monitor ( None )

Final specs.
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
February 25, 2012 9:23:55 PM

HeavyToolbox said:
My apologies but the site gives me no further information with the fans and water cooling. Can't help that, sorry. And a guy above said his [SLI] ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 -- 2x PCI-E 3.0 x16 Motherboard is awesome. That's the one I have set up. Final specs coming up :) 

On second thought, I'll skip the liquid cooling and overclocking.

i just found a u tube video for that liquid cooling set up - -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GloA6WHKTFk

with a 6c difference than stock . nothing exciting.
February 25, 2012 9:24:34 PM

HeavyToolbox said:
0 x Monitor ( None )
0 x 2nd Monitor ( None )

Final specs.

please dont order this. ill edit this to give futher info hang on

edit.

ok. so you have this motherboard that some guy said is awsome (it probably is i have no idea) but the reason its awsome is because it overclocks like a beast (again going buy what that guy said)

but then you have just the basic 2500 that i mentioned.

the 2500 wont overclock AT ALL.

so whats the plan????

either you stick to your specs with the good motherboard but get the 2500k (note the k) and overclock the bad boy

or you drop the uber motherboard and get a basic cheap one (motherboard) and the basic cheap i5 and dont overclock it

sorry if i have confused you
February 25, 2012 9:32:22 PM

oh yeah if you are going to go the 2500k + good motherboard + overclocking option then you would need better cooling

can you tell us how much the extra cooling (non water cooling) will cost you, then someone else (as i am from the uk) can advise you weather or not to get the better cooling, or to stick with the crappy cooling, then get better VALUE cooling from another site seperatly
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
February 25, 2012 9:33:33 PM

rossaw said:
please dont order this. ill edit this to give futher info hang on

edit.

ok. so you have this motherboard that some guy said is awsome (it probably is i have no idea) but the reason its awsome is because it overclocks like a beast (again going buy what that guy said)

but then you have just the basic 2500 that i mentioned.

the 2500 wont overclock AT ALL.

so whats the plan????

either you stick to your specs with the good motherboard but get the 2500k (note the k) and overclock the bad boy

or you drop the uber motherboard and get a basic cheap one (motherboard) and the basic cheap i5 and dont overclock it

sorry if i have confused you

not to argue with your opinion. yeah his mobo can overclock but not that chip. however with that motherboard he will be able to upgrade to any cpu now or in the next year, even after ivy bridge comes out, with a bios update.
February 25, 2012 9:37:32 PM

Anonymous said:
not to argue with your opinion. yeah his mobo can overclock but not that chip. however with that motherboard he will be able to upgrade to any cpu now or in the next year, even after ivey bridge comes out, with a bios update.

ok im also not arguing your point as it is valid but its worth remembering that the extra cost over the 2500k compared to the 2500 is very little (in the uk at least?)

i think if the op is interested in overclocking then the extra cost of the 2500k (if he is getting the expensive motherboard anyway) will be worth even if its just for the experience due to the cost being so little.
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
February 25, 2012 9:45:42 PM

rossaw said:
ok im also not arguing your point as it is valid but its worth remembering that the extra cost over the 2500k compared to the 2500 is very little (in the uk at least?)

i think if the op is interested in overclocking then the extra cost of the 2500k (if he is getting the expensive motherboard anyway) will be worth even if its just for the experience due to the cost being so little.

ok point taken. but i hate to see him spend quite a chunk of change on a system and "skimp out" on one of the most important components, after the PSU.

plus if he saves $200 US on the CPU and cooling, he can invest it down the line on an upgrade. but i think i said that.
February 25, 2012 9:52:31 PM

This is a little more pricey but affordable barely. The water cooling is $30 and the dual fans are $20.

1 x Processor ( Intel® Core™ i5-2500K Processor (4x 3.30GHz/6MB L3 Cache) - Free Upgrade to Intel Core i5-2550K Processor )
1 x iBUYPOWER PowerDrive ( PowerDrive Level 2 - Up to 20% Overclocking )
1 x Processor Cooling ( Asetek 550LC Liquid CPU Cooling System (Intel) - ARC Dual Silent High Perfornamce Fan Upgrade (Push-Pull Airflow)
0 x Monitor ( None )
0 x 2nd Monitor ( None )

Forgot Dual Fans. Edited
February 25, 2012 9:53:33 PM

Anonymous said:
ok point taken. but i hate to see him spend quite a chunk of change on a system and "skimp out" on one of the most important components, after the PSU.

plus if he saves $200 US on the CPU and cooling, he can invest it down the line on an upgrade. but i think i said that.

$200 on cpu and cooling :o  is that right? if so then he needs to get his cooling elseware

but anyway the man wants to get a hd7970....

i would like someone more experieced than me to chime in on this please, but if hes running a 2500k @ stock then the money spent on a 7970 seams like a waste.......

to the op.

we are kind of guessing the costs of the upgrades you are adding so would you break down the costs for us please mate?

how much does the water cooling cost over basic cooling

how much does the "ahem good air cooling" cost over the basic cooling?

how much does the motherboard you were recomemded cost over the cheapest motherboard that suports the 2500#

how much does the 2500k cost over the 2500

do you really need 16gb ram? how much is that over 8gb? also why do you think you need it?

thanks

edit

also what resolution is the monitor that you play games on?
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
February 25, 2012 10:00:40 PM

rossaw said:
$200 on cpu and cooling :o  is that right? if so then he needs to get his cooling elseware

i would like someone more experieced than me to chime in on this please, but if hes running a 2500k @ stock then the money spent on a 7970 seams like a waste.......

to the op.

we are kind of guessing the costs of the upgrades you are adding so would you break down the costs for us please mate?

how much does the motherboard you were recomemded cost over the cheapest motherboard that suports the 2500#

do you really need 16gb ram? how much is that over 8gb? also why do you think you need it?

thanks

edit

ok now that is really picking and i don't think it helps the OP

i typo'ed the savings not $220 i was thinking $100, he is limited to the vendors configurations and prices.

so now he posted $50 . . . my bad.

though as far as your experience . .everyone has opinions. it is helpful to back it up with benchmarks.

if people come in here halfway through a process, the op will end up pulling his hair out and not getting anything done. so how is that being helpful?
February 25, 2012 10:01:25 PM

rossaw said:

to the op.

thanks

edit

Sure. This is a learning experience for me anyway. So help and constructive advice is great. Anyways... the water cooling is basically $50 more than regular cooling. If I want additional fan(s), I HAVE to go through water cooling.

Motherboard is $57 more.

2500 to 2500k is $10 exactly.

I was always told to go with 16 RAM if given a choice. But again, learning experience. If this decision could be overturned, that'd help the cost go down.

1920 x 1080 , 27" LED Monitor.

Haha, yeah this is quite stressful but it's for the better good.
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
February 25, 2012 10:06:58 PM

HeavyToolbox said:

I was always told to go with 16 RAM if given a choice. But again, learning experience. If this decision could be overturned, that'd help the cost go down.

years ago people said there is no need for more than 2 gig of ram . then they said anything more than 4 was a waste. now 8 is the popular wisdom.

16 is better for tomorrow, IMHO.
!