Tags:
  • Prebuilt
  • Gaming
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
February 26, 2012 1:05:07 AM

Hey guys, new here.

Anyway, I was wondering if this gaming pc was worth the price I would be paying for it.

I would be getting a 50% discount as part of a government initiative I.e Child tax benefit.

Anyway comments pros/cons or suggestions if (applicable) for a better deal would be greatly appreciated.

Also does having a D-Link wireless LAN card mean that I can connect the computer to the internet from anywhere in the house, as long as I have a wireless router? I.e like a laptop would be able to.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/535/newbuildpcdeta...

Thanks a lot!

More about : advice custom gaming

February 26, 2012 1:53:26 AM

First of all, downgrade to an I5-2500k if you want to overclock or an I5-2500 if you don't. Your wireless card will allow you to use your router without a cable for internet. You probably only need a p-67 motherboard. Also, what type of games do you do? It would help me give you better advice.
m
l
February 26, 2012 4:20:36 AM

Just wondering why it would be better to downgrade? also I would most likely be playing games like skyrim BF3 crysis 2 Batman Arkham City etc (all high demanding games), would I be able to play all these on max settings?. Also I am not really worried about the cost as I would be getting it for $1000.

Edit: If I do get the i5 2500k it would be cheaper, but how long would it last me? I hope to use this comp set up for at least 5 years. Would it become obsolete by then or would this processor still be valid for the next 5+ years?

Thanks
m
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
March 2, 2012 12:34:32 AM

It's not that the CPU is poor in any way, just that the money might be better spent elsewhere.

The listed PSU is questionable at best, and probably would not be adequate for a second GTX 570.

For $1800 I would expect a lot more, if those were US dollars.

So if I was building a PC in the US for $1800, just as an example:

[
  • COOLER MASTER HAF 922 BLUE RC-922M-KWN2-GP Black ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with Side window
    Better case with better air flow for the GPU
  • Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
  • ASUS VW246H Glossy Black 24" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor
    Larger monitor with good response time for gaming.
  • D-Link DWA-556 PCI Express Xtreme Desktop Adapter
    Big name wireless card with good support.
  • EVGA 012-P3-1571-AR GeForce GTX 570 HD w/Display-Port (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support ...
  • CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX850M 850W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular High Performance Power ...
    Excellent quality PSU adequate if you decide to add a second 570 later.
  • G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR
  • ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
  • Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 ...
  • Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM
    You need Win 7? Or are you planning to go with Win 8?
  • COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible Intel ...
    CPU cooler for overclocks.
  • Intel 520 Series Cherryville SSDSC2CW180A310 2.5" 180GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
    FAST and RELIABLE Solid State drive. Huge upgrade over the pre-built.
    TOTAL: $1,836.88
    That is a far better system in every way, and the price is probably not final. I wasn't looking for deals.
    m
    l
    March 2, 2012 7:14:11 AM

Great answers guys!, but one fact I think I forgot to mention is if it's not in a single package it won't fall under the 50% discount, while checking ebay I came across this

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/INTEL-Core-i7-2600-Gaming-Co...

here follows the upgrades I would be getting with it

-Core i7 2600K 3.4GHz Unlocked Multiplier

-8GB (2 x 4GB) Dual Channel DDR3 PC-10600 (1333MHz)
    240-pin

-High-performance Liquid CPU Cooling System

-Water Cooling Kit with
    New Designed Latest Generation Copper Cold Plate
    1 x 120mm Silent High Performance Cooling Fan
    27mm thick Aluminum Radiator

-ASUS Z68 Chipset Motherboard

-ASUS nVidia GeForce GTX580 1536MB
    (with Free 800w PSU Upgrade)

-22"(21.5") ASUS Full-HD LED Monitor

-3.5" 1TB / 1000GB SATA III 7200rpm HDD

-24x ASUS Dual Layer DVD burner
    24x CD/DVD +RW /-RW drive

- Onboard 7.1 CH High Definition Audio

-Upgrade to ASUS Wireless Network

-ATX Midi Tower Case Black
    * 600W Gaming PSU with 12cm Fan
    * Front USB x 2 / HD Audio & Mic (probably model CM430)

All this would cost me only $902 does anyone know why I can get a better GPU and still have a lower price? I doubt it's a scam or something because they have a very high feedback score with 99.8% positive feedback.

also there is something in there listing that I was wondering "The Windows 7 icon of the the title image only means it's compatible with Windows 7"

does that mean only windows 7 will ever work? is that even possible to do?.

Thanks a lot guys.

m
    l
    a b 4 Gaming
    March 2, 2012 8:21:19 AM

No on the water cooling. It will be inferior to air, and you never want copper and aluminum mixed with water... that's a recipe for corrosion.

So we're talking Australian Dollars... you might have mentioned that.

At Umart
    http://www.umart.com.au/newindex2.phtml?bid=5

I configured this:

Quote:

ITEMs to Order :
    Intel Core i5 2500K Processor LGA1155 3.3GHz CPU
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO w Transparent 12cm
    ASRock Z68 Extreme4-Gen3 Z68 4xDDR3 3*PCIex16 GBL RAID DVI HDMI DS
    G Skill 8G(2x4G) DDR3 1600MHZ PC3-12800 CL9(8GBXL)
    Western Digital 500G SATA3 HDD Caviar Blue
    Asus GTX 570 PCI-E 2.0 1280MB DDR5 2x Dual-Link DVI 1x mini HDMI Fan
    Asus VE247H 23.6"Wide 2ms D-Sub DVI-D HDMI
    Samsung 22X DVDRW Black SATA (SH-S223C-BL)
    CoolerMaster RC-932-KKN5-GP HAF Advanced Black Case USB3.0
    Corsair TX-850 V2 ATX Power Supply 140mm fan
    Logitech G13 Advanced GameBoard
    Logitech G500 Gaming Mouse
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit OEM(Microsoft OEM Terms&condition apply)
    Three Year On site warranty(for $0-$3000)Umart System Build Only

Other :

TOTAL : $$1972
    The price shown are cash/cheque price only,all credit cards attract a extra charge,
    The Price shown are system build price and installation charge are included,but any parts in the other(anything else) are not included

That still seems better to me. You have a quality PSU and a board that will support a second 570. You have a better monitor and quality KB and mouse. You have a three year warranty.
    m
    l
    March 6, 2012 5:49:24 PM

I wonder, I noticed that even after advice that the i7 was overkill, you still proceeded to pick another pc with the same processor. Is there a reason you are insistent on that processor ?
    I can assure you that unless you are doing video editing or trying to run multiple apps allot, you will gain no benefit from spending $100+ on the i7 2600k vs. the i5 2500k. Your gaming experience would see no improvement.

I suggest a Asus or MSI mobo in the z68 chipset catagory. Asrock can be good, but recently there have been allot of reports of dead slots like ram slots and pci.e slots. Not that that will happen but the chances seem higher than with Asus or MSI. What if you thought it was fine and then a year or two down the road decided to sli or crossfire and your second pci.e slot was dead?

It is my opinion that in selecting this mobo it should also be a consideration of looking for pci.e 3.0 as this will increase the bandwidth on future graphics cards made to utilize the tech.

I would suggest the i5 2500k as a processor in any gaming build with the budget you seem to be working with. Even tho less would do. what ever less you may go , stick with quad core as some games seem to perform better with quad than dual, and that trend will probaply only continue.

As Proximon said, air cooling would really do you better,for corrosion reasons and for leakage possibility. water and electronix just don't mix imo.

I am an itt computer science graduate and hold an associates degree, by the way. I am new to these forums but don't let my ranking fool you.

Also, unless you plan on gaming on a screen larger than 22" you will be wasting your money on any gpu larger than 560 ti . A single gpu will let you max to ultimate settings on BF3. That is the most graphix intensive game on the market today.

If you are wanting to game on a larger screen then maybe go to a 570 or so.

Keep in mind that allot of guys simply arent happy unless they get the biggest and the best, and in the end have 3-4 times the money invested than they needed to achieve a goal that they already achieved a couple of grand ago. It is their preroggative to do so, but don't feel like it is necessary.

If you think you will be suited to the 560 ti then a descent psu of 600 watts will do, and if you think you might want to sli those then a little over 600 would be fine.

I have 1 system with an asus 550 ti and an i5 2500k both oc'd and I play BF3 on a 20" widescreen monitor 1600x900 with ultimate settings. Unless I got a larger monitor any larger gpu would be overkill. I have noticed that a larger monitor does not increase my gaming experience in the least. It only serves to give me a headache and would cost me a bundle for an inch or two more screen to see the same picture.

Just a little advice you don't have to take it.

m
    l
    March 6, 2012 6:46:23 PM

Why get such a high end system and slow it down with a HDD? It is like driving a Ferrari with a 5 gallon gas tank.

Get a 128GB SSD from Crucial or something.
    m
    l
    !