Sign in with
Your question

General/Gaming/Graphics computer review

Last response: in Systems
February 26, 2012 2:14:51 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: As soon as possible

Budget Range: Up to $1000 (preferably ~800)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Movies/Games/Graphics/General

Parts Not Required: Everything not listed

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Umart

Parts Preferences: None really

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: 1680x1250

Additional Comments: Okay so I'v been a bit back on the times recently as the last computer I bought was ~ 4 years ago so everything seems very good and cheep to me, but thats just how things have changed.

Using parts only from Umart this is what I have put together (some parts will still change though)

CPU - Intel Core i5 2500 Processor LGA1155 3.3GHz CPU ($211)
Motherboard - Asus P8Z68-M PRO Z68 4xDDR3 2xPCI-E16 GBL RAID USB3.0 SATA3 ($121)
Video card - Asus ENGT430
RAM - G Skill 8G(2x4G)DDR3 1600Mhz PC3-12800 CL8(F3-12800CL8D-8GB ($81)
Hard Drive - Seagate SATA3 2TB Barracuda 64mb Cache ($146)

The video card must stay, as I am salvaging that from my old PC as it is only 1 month old.

I am unsure on a PSU and Case still, I have a DVD drive that I think will work with the M/B but I'm not fussed if I have to buy a new one. Everything else I own/dont want.

As I have probably far less experience then some of you guys, what do you think about what I have put together? What should I change?

Also, If I am doing advanced rendering and animation, do you think the I5 and 8gig ram is sufficient or should I go I7 and 12 - 16 gigs?

Thanks in advance, I appreciate any feedback you can give.
February 26, 2012 4:28:37 AM

hey op good build

ok u asked about if u are going to need i7 for rendering
the ans is yes
i7 will be benifitial as it has hyperthreading

if u want pc for animation and render then bump cpu to i7 2600k and step down ur mobo to lx version
also 8gb is plenty untill u do huge and heavy render
and to futher cut down cost u xms 3 ram

suggetions for case
cooler master haf 912 is recomended

also if u are going to over clock then buy after market cooler like cm hyper 212 + or evo

if u are not going to overclock then step down to i7 2500 and an h67 mobo and no aditional cooler is needed

and last thing psu if u add a beast gpu like 580 650 w will suffix buy psu only from reputated companys like corsair seasonic silverstone and antec
have a nice build:) 
m
l
February 26, 2012 5:46:35 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I have taken your advice and now have an i7 2600K on the list instead of the i5

Few queries; the Z68 Pro is the same price as the LX, do you still think its a good idea to switch over the LX because I thought the Pro had better specs over the LX

Also, I am unable to get the HAF 912, what are some cheaper reliable other options?

Ontop of that, I am probably not going to Overclock straight away as I have very little knowledge on it but may look into it in the future.

I have chosen a Antec ATX TruePower 650W PSU as well.

Could you please give some more information on the ram? I have not changed my decision on that yet. If there is something I could get the same or better for less then $80, please inform me.

Regards - Clayton.
m
l
!