RealityClash

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone knows of a way to make a pc think that the monitors that are connected to it are capable of displaying higher resolutions than the monitor's actual native resolution? (If that makes sense)
The reason I'm wanting to know is because I currently have 3 LCD monitors hooked up to my PC. The center monitor has a native resolution of 1920x1080 while the two side monitors have resolutions of 1280x1024. I want to make my PC believe that the two side monitors can display a resolution of 1920x1080 as well. I'm hopeing that this is possible so that the extra pixels on each end of the two side monitors aren't actually displayed but just rendered so I'm able to use all three monitors for an Eyefinity setup.

Does anyone know of any software that would let me do this?

Thanks

RealityClash

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
Hmm I'm pretty certain there would be as I remember doing something similar in the past with an older PC that was running Windows XP on a single monitor. I remember being able to set the display resolution to 2560x2048 even though the monitor could only display 1280x1024 pixels. It was just like the whole desktop had been zoomed in so not all of the wallpaper and toolbars etc were visible at once, hence, the monitor was still only displaying 1280x1024 pixels but 2560x2048 were being rendered by the computer and I just had to move the mouse to an edge of the monitor for the display to roll over to another part of the desktop. Sadly there doesn't seem to be the option of setting a monitor's resolution higher than its native resolution in Windows 7 like I was able to in Windows XP by right clicking on the desktop then clicking on 'screen resolution'.

lcd monitors don't run over spec. i.e. won't go over listed native resolution. if you do manage to go over max res. the images will become zoomed out. part of your display might also get cut off due to higher resolution if you have scaling options like 'fit image to display' turned off.
your lower res. monitors can't properly display 1080p res. unless they support it. you can trick it into displaying higher res. by deselecting something similar to 'display unsupported resolutions'. but it will put pressure on your display. screen might start flickering, images might look cramped, display performance could slow down in the long term.
is this the type of software you were looking for?
http://www.dexpot.de/

RealityClash

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
Here's an image of what I'm trying to achieve.
http://imageshack.us/f/855/39244622.jpg/

So basically the three white boxes are the areas of the entire image that are actually displayed by my monitors, meaning that all three monitors are still displaying parts of the whole image at their native resolution while the two dark grey areas on the ends are areas of the image that are rendered for the two end monitors to display but aren't actually displayed by the end monitors.
This would mean that a 5760x1080 image is being rendered which would enable me to use Eyefinity but not all of that 5760x1080 image is actually being displayed by the monitors so that all three monitors are still only displaying images at their native resolution meaning no parts of the image would have to be stretched or warped compared to if i was to have all three monitors display a resolution of 1280x1024 each etc.
If anyone knows whether dexpot or any other software is able to achieve this then please let me know and I would be really greatful if youd show me how to set the software up aswell :)
Thanks