Laptop constantly running at 50%

Aleonris

Distinguished
May 24, 2012
Recently, my computer's CPU and RAM has constantly run at 50%-70%. I have checked my task manager and what uses the most is Steam (104,000k) and Chrome (98,000k). I have run a virus/malware scan with no result. Can something be wrong with my laptop? I have an intel Core i3 M350 and 4GB of RAM.

Solution
Let it run for 10 min and take reading at the start and at the end of that time.
Take note of what programs/processes are using up CPU %.
If you click once or twice on the CPU% column it will sort by which are using most of the CPU cycles.

andrewcarr

Distinguished
The ram is just used at about 50-70% of it's capacity.
If what you say about your CPU is right then all you are doing is not fully stressing the CPU. Maybe your running applications not threaded for multiple cores (and HT) so that the first core is at ~100% and the second is still idling around ~50%.

Let it run for 10 min and take reading at the start and at the end of that time.
Take note of what programs/processes are using up CPU %.
If you click once or twice on the CPU% column it will sort by which are using most of the CPU cycles.

Solution

javier_machuk

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2011
open the task manager, go to the process tab, click on to CPU column to sort the process in % of cpu utilization order. Then take a look which is taking most of the processor %... search in google that process or post it here, maybe we can help you