Sign in with
Your question

My First Build(Looking for advice and thoughts)

Last response: in Systems
February 26, 2012 3:21:29 AM

This is the first computer I have ever built.I have always been relatively tech savvy, but never really dealt with hardware. Initially decided I was going to build a computer when I went out shopping for a new gaming laptop/desktop...and holy f*ck. Either the graphics were okay and the ram sucked, or the processor was good, but no discrete graphics. The PC market is a f*cking mess to say the least.

I played around with a few AMD processor builds, but eventually decided to shell out a bit more coin for the i3-2120(nothing too crazy, not OCable, but w/e). The benchmarks I looked at seemed to be noticeably higher for the money.

Just looking for opinions and possible upgrade paths for the community, keep in mind I build this on a $700 budget.

CPU:Intel Core i3-2120 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155
GPU: SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16
MOBO: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68
PSU: corsair cx430w v2 ----> Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-750 750W (750w in mail)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s Bare Drive
Ram: 16gigs 1333 DDR3 g.skill rip-jaw series (4x4gb) (8gigs in machine,8 in mail)CASE: Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower
WIFI: Rosewill RNX-N300X PCI Wireless Adapter
OPTICAL: LITE-ON DVD Burner

Built it last Friday everything went together smooth, it booted, but me being a newb PC builder installed the GPU drivers from disk rather than getting them from site. Just got done with a week long ordeal of the gpu crashing every time I went to play a game. Initially though it was my PSU, so I ordered the 750w. Then I got to thinking about it last night, and realized I never updated my drivers. Easy newb mistake, the new psu was an un-needed purchase, but meh I can use that extra juice if I decide to slap another GPU in there.

Thoughts?

More about : build advice thoughts

February 26, 2012 8:15:57 AM

you should switch to 1600mhz ram cuz sandy bridge gives its best performance with 1600mhz ram also make sure to pick the rams with the lowest timings
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 26, 2012 8:31:52 AM

You should definitely go with the i5-2500k instead of the i3-2120. It'll blow that thing away for not much more money.

You do NOT need 16GB of RAM unless you're a serious graphic artist or video producer. 4GB is really plenty for gaming, although you might as well get 8GB since the price difference is not much. Also, while you're at it, you can get that 8GB at a 7 latency instead of a 9 latency, which will improve its performance by about 25%:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Lastly, the HD6850 is going to be underpowered for the i5-2500k. At least a 6950 is recommended. This is a likely one because fo the reduced price:

m
l
Related resources
!