Sign in with
Your question

How can I run 4 displays? 3 linked and 1 stand alone.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 26, 2011 11:57:23 PM

I currently am running a dual monitor setup with an AMD ATI Radeon HD 4800 series card 512mb. I am looking to add 2 more displays, but what I want to do is have 3 monitor displays and 1 TV display. Preferably I would like to link the 3 monitors for display as 1 (at least have this option), then have the TV be a standalone display. What is the easiest and most cost effective way of accomplishing this? I am not into heavy gaming, just a lot of HD stuff. So I don't need the best of the best. The TV is going to be used for either my TV tuner, Movies/Videos, and a Stock Ticker. The 3 "linked" displays will utilize the "working" desktop.

Thanks in advance for any input.

(Yes I did use the search function, but could not find a question similar enough to mine that helped me)
December 27, 2011 12:12:49 AM

Hey, I do not think you can do it with your Video card. I have the 6900 series card and that can run 6 screens at the same time, If you use 2 dvi ports the rest have to be display ports (you can use active DP adapter to vga, dvi or even hdmi) for the 3rd and 4th monitor.
m
l
December 27, 2011 12:16:04 AM

Oh, I know I can't do it with this card, sorry i was not clear about that at all. I guess what I am getting at is, should I add a second card using crossfirex or should I just replace this card with a single card that will accomplish what I want.

Sorry about the confusion!
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 27, 2011 12:39:50 AM

Easiest solution is get a newer card. Eyefinity was available from the 5xxx series on. The new 7xxx series (offering better 3d support) are being released soon, if you can wait a few weeks. And you will need ACTIVE display port adapters if your monitors don't have a display port input. Setting your monitors up as 3x1 + 1 is done through AMD's Catalyst Control Centre.
m
l
December 27, 2011 12:44:51 AM

What card will offer 4 displays? I have seen the 1+1+1+1 or 3x1, but did not know you could do 3x1 + 1 to add the 4th standalone display?
m
l
December 27, 2011 1:58:13 AM

Would this card do what I need? HD-677X-ZNFC its a XFX AMD Radeon HD 6770. Looks to support Eyefinity, and up to 4 displays. If this will do 3x1 + 1 then I will be perfectly happy. I know this isnt the best card on the planet, but like I said, I do no gaming, so If this will work for what I want to do, then for the price it looks ok... Anyone have some professional input?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 27, 2011 3:29:48 AM

Yes, that card will do your 3x1 + 1, pretty much any AMD card from 57xx series will do 3x1 + 1extended. This link gives all the configurations available in eyefinity http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/gpu50-ati-ey...
All of these configurations are set up using AMD's catalyst control centre, you will also need ACTIVE adapters if your monitors don't support display port, and make sure your psu is enough for the card you choose.
m
l
December 27, 2011 2:05:21 PM

I will be upgrading. I currently have a 450w, but I am running lots of hardware, so yes the PSU will be upgraded with the card!

Thanks for your input, its greatly appreciated! I will get some pictures up once its all said and done!
m
l
December 27, 2011 2:09:49 PM

And thank you for that link! I was searching for something like that, which explained the eyefinity layouts... That is awesome! Much much appreciated!

No none of my monitors have displayport, so I will need to get some active adapters (these will work, correct?). All of my monitors are Alienware AW2210, and the TV is a 42" Sharp Aquos 1080p.

So I guess here is my last question, can I still utilize the HDMI signal to go to the TV, and still run 3x1 on the remaining outputs (of course using active adapters).

Also, can you switch it to be 4 extended displays, rather than 3x1+1 all the time? Or am I stuck with a dual display at that point?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 27, 2011 6:59:34 PM

SmurfOnABoat said:
So I guess here is my last question, can I still utilize the HDMI signal to go to the TV, and still run 3x1 on the remaining outputs (of course using active adapters).

You should be okay with that, but it depends on the connections available on the card you end up going with. 4xxx series cards do not do eyefinity. Eyefinity capable cards were from the 5xxx series on. Some of the newer cards only have dp or mini dp connections only, for up to 6 monitors. And will therefore require active adapters for each non display port monitor you wish to connect.

SmurfOnABoat said:
Also, can you switch it to be 4 extended displays, rather than 3x1+1 all the time? Or am I stuck with a dual display at that point?

Yes, you can set up different display configurations through CCC (catalyst control centre), assign them to different profiles, and hotkey them if you wish. Changing is as easy as a mouse click. Although, in my case, I find when changing back to eyefinity, it sometimes forgets the monitor order and I have to rearrange them, but that's as easy as drag and drop.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your set up.
m
l
December 27, 2011 7:21:20 PM

It surely does... Yes I think I am going to go with that 6770 series card. That should seem to work for all the options I wish to do.

Thanks for all your help!

m
l
December 30, 2011 2:53:05 AM

Ok, well after further review, the HD6770 will not support 4 monitors, only a maximum of 3 displays. You can only use a combination of 2 out of the 3 DVI/HDMI ports. Plus the displayport.

So back to the question, what card out there can I run 4 displays out of that doesnt cost a huge fortune?

Preferably with DVI and HDMI and display port, so I dont need to run so many active adapters...
m
l
January 2, 2012 1:43:34 AM

Well It looks like I have finally found my answer. The HD 6790 from XFX has 2xDVI, 1xHDMI, 2xMiniDisplayport, with this configuration on a single card, this sound allow for 2 displayport monitors via active adapters, and 2 native displays via the DVI and/or HDMI.... Got a new 650w PSU coming too, TV and screens are installed, just waiting on the hardware to show up!
m
l
!