Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

1 CPU with 6 Access points?

Tags:
  • Computers
  • Keyboards
  • Networking
  • Product
Last response: in Networking
Share
March 15, 2011 10:42:59 AM

Hi,
I am looking being able to control one computer at 6 stations. Each station will contain a keyboard, monitor, and mouse.
They do not all need to be able to control or access the computer all at once. I would use a reverse kvm switch but I am looking at distances of 200-500ft between the stations/cpu.

Is there a cost effective way of doing this?

My last resort was to buy some cheap dells or build some low end computers and set up remote desktop but we would really like just having the keyboard, mouse and monitor.

Thanks,
Marc

More about : cpu access points

March 15, 2011 11:25:06 AM

the longest distance KVM cables usually come in is 25ft.

the longest distance network cable will work at without an amplifier is 300ft.

m
0
l
March 15, 2011 11:46:43 AM

The only thing that comes to mind is perhaps an ethernet-based KVM extender.

http://www.smartvm.com/kvm-extenders-c1327.htm

Btw, any ethernet-based device can be converted to wireless using a wireless ethernet bridge, although I'm not sure whether there might be issues w/ lag for this application.

The question becomes, would it just be more economical to setup some low-end PCs, maybe even used, sub $200 netbooks. Or maybe those Foxconn barebones kits ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... ). They don't need to be very powerful if the primary purpose is remote desktop or some other form of terminal emulation. These devices in particular keep the footprint small and unobtrusive.

I just get the impression any devices specifically made to address this problem will be so expensive, it just might make sense to bite the bullet on purchasing low cost PCs.
m
0
l
Related resources
March 15, 2011 12:06:02 PM

Yeah, the solutions I have found have all been expensive. I am looking into testing using kvm extenders. I'm gonna do a small test on those but I agree some low end computers would probably be the most cost effective solution.
m
0
l
March 15, 2011 11:27:21 PM

Is 500ft the max distance from one computer to the next? If so, can you not use a switch at the halfway point between the two furthest computers? That would cut your distance down to 250ft, correct? In which case ethernet and remote desktop will still be viable.
m
0
l
March 15, 2011 11:48:19 PM

KVM over ethernet
I didn't know these things were so expensive...eh, guess that's what happens when the military pays for your equipment. Well, it still might be cheaper than low-end PCs, right?
m
0
l
March 16, 2011 3:03:45 PM

durand1035 said:
Is 500ft the max distance from one computer to the next? If so, can you not use a switch at the halfway point between the two furthest computers? That would cut your distance down to 250ft, correct? In which case ethernet and remote desktop will still be viable.


The final layout is not done yet the max distance would be no more than 500ft. Everything will mostly be in the 250ft range.

We are gonna test some $200 street value extenders and see if we can jumper them together and allow the PC to fight over which mouse/keyboard is used. The company minicom seems too think it will work.
m
0
l
March 16, 2011 10:21:43 PM

Why go the cabling route, just use remote desktop with the appropriate security.
m
0
l
March 16, 2011 10:53:03 PM

das_stig said:
Why go the cabling route, just use remote desktop with the appropriate security.


Because there's only one computer. He merely wants to have remote monitor, keyboard, and mouse in 6 different, remote locations. There's nothing at those locations to support remote desktop, no other computers!
m
0
l
July 26, 2011 6:14:09 PM

I wanted to weigh in on eibgrad's comment on using a KVM over Ethernet extender. I've seen this one work very well for that kind of thing and it works up to 1000 feet http://www.networktechinc.com/cat5-kvm-extender-1000.html. Not sure if its in your price range, but I think there are lower range versions that might be cheaper.
m
0
l
July 29, 2011 5:46:53 AM

eibgrad said:

The question becomes, would it just be more economical to setup some low-end PCs, maybe even used, sub $200 netbooks. Or maybe those Foxconn barebones kits ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... ). They don't need to be very powerful if the primary purpose is remote desktop or some other form of terminal emulation. These devices in particular keep the footprint small and unobtrusive.

I just get the impression any devices specifically made to address this problem will be so expensive, it just might make sense to bite the bullet on purchasing low cost PCs.


I agree get a bare bone, system or old computers, There are tones sold on Ebay, local schools surpluses.
Put a scaled down version of Linux on there to run a VNC client. You could probably set up a PXE server to boot Linux up for you over the network. Or use a CD You wouldn't even need hard drives in the computers, It would just load up the same image all of the time.

here is one for 240, even has win XP on there
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=SX280-P430-19-M...

Would be cool if you could set it up to wake on lan and turn off remotely as well.
m
0
l
!