Dell Dimension 8400 Raid1

stcarlino

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
My computer is a dell dimension 8400 with Raid1 configuration. I lost my power supply and after installing a new one my computer booted but my raid1 configuration was reporting "degraded" and my second hard drive was shown as "non-raid".

After trying to reset the raid setup I have completly lost my raid and now my computer states drive 1 and 2 not found.

How can I restablish my raid1 system?

Steven

jrazor247

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
dmraid is a Linux program that will detect and read many raid setups without raid being enabled in the controller. I read about a while ago when I had the same problem, but had already given up and reformatted the drives. It would allow you to read the data off the disk even though the controller has lost their RAID status/config. Or you could even read the array on a different computer without a RAID controller, usefull if the motherboard or controller dies.

link: http://www.linuxmanpages.com/man8/dmraid.8.php

stcarlino

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012

Is the link a program or what? Do you have to compile the routine as list or what?

jrazor247

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009

dmraid is a linux program; the link is simply the manual or help (minimal) for the tool. What you need to do is download and burn a Linux Live CD, such as Fedora 16 which has dmraid included. Boot from the CD with the drives attached as regular harddisks. Simply go to the terminal and type 'su' to elevate your privilages hit enter, then type 'dmraid -r' to list the RAID sets it detects (hopefully). Gonna have to do some googling on how to use this tool. I've never used it and don't have a system to test it on currently. Don't be intimidated by linux and be very careful what you type in- you could wipe the drives. Good Luck!