Strange Question, UNDERclocking a 955 BE

jubilee

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2008
hey,

Im living in bucharest, the temp here is 30-35 degrees which is a little too hot for my liking. Im going to spend the next week decorating my apartment, its small and seems to generate heat somehow.. ;)

i have a 955BE and 5850s in crossfire. im only going to use the comp for winamp/youtube and dont need the 3.2ghz for them. is there a simple win7 program i can use to underclock the cpu to something like 1ghz and hopefully shave a few degrees on my apartment temp?...., again, a simple, one click solution would be best, i dont want to restart and mess with bios every time i want to look at the D3 AH....

thanks,
ps, im not a noob, i simply have never deliberately underclocked before ;)

Keanu Reeves

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/amd-overdrive/Pages/overview.aspx

This is the easiest method to use without fiddling with the bios. AMD Overdrive is actually a pretty useful application, not the best for OCing, but for changing voltages, it's fine.

Well, if you have Cool and Quiet enabled in the MoBo, I'd say it's a non issue.

But the best thing you could do, is lower the voltage until the computer turns on and you can work normally inside windows.

The 955 uses 1.4v I think, so take it down to 1.0v and start from there. If the computer doesn't turn on, increase it in 0.025 steps IMO.

This isn't exact science, since every CPU is different for this king of fine tunning, so, best of luck with the underclock.

Cheers!

jubilee

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2008
thanks for the advice!..., il have a try with your suggestions..., its not often that you dream of a celeron 600mhz ;)