2G 7870 Sapphire OC
Coolermaster Universal Hyper 212 EVO
8G Kit 1600 Patriot Gamer2
ASRock Extreme4 Z77
i5-3570K
Corsair TX-650 v2
Corsair Carbide CC500R Black
Lite-On SATA DVD RW

The Corsair TX 650v2 has really loud intake air noises and I am planning to have it refunded if possible (only been 3-4 weeks since bought). If not, I am looking to buy a quieter PSU. I was wondering if you guys have any suggestion on what voltage I should be getting and any PSU you recommend that is able to minimize noise.

Price range: Less than $150 since I am certain I only need under 650W.

Cheers!
7 answers Last reply
More about power supply recommendation
  1. Hey rolli59, thanks for the super quick reply!

Those 2 PSU look great and I just wanted to confirm that it is my PSU that is generating the most noise.

Basically, I've done some isolation in regards to where the current fan noise is coming and concluded it to be the Tx 650 v2. I was wondering if you have any idea if any of the other parts to my rig may cause a louder noise. i.e. the corsair 500r
  2. I'm quite happy with my Antec EarthWatt 650. Practically silent and even though there is very little airflow out of it at the back of the case, the exhaust is only ~7C higher than ambient even at ~180W load.

I don't remember what PSU I tried before the Antec (it was a Corsair, quite possibly the TX650) but it did sound like its fan was already at max speed even at such relatively low load and I returned it in exchange for that Antec since I was really unhappy about the noise too.
  3. Hey InvalidError,

How long did it take before you returned it? I went back to the retailer last week and they told me it was normal fan noise so I took it back but currently using it currently, it is starting to be very worrying.

I am just not sure if they are willing to refund it now since they are saying it is normal fan noise.
  4. Framps said:
    How long did it take before you returned it?

I bought the PSU, installed it in my main PC, started my usual programs, noticed that the noise was ramping up over the first hour or so, decided that it was much too loud for overnight operation, pulled it out the next morning and went back to the store, requested an exchange due to being too loud for my taste and swapped it for the Antec.

So I had the other PSU (it was a cheap Corsair, either 550W or 650W) for less than 16 hours.
  5. Framps said:
    Hey rolli59, thanks for the super quick reply!

Those 2 PSU look great and I just wanted to confirm that it is my PSU that is generating the most noise.

Basically, I've done some isolation in regards to where the current fan noise is coming and concluded it to be the Tx 650 v2. I was wondering if you have any idea if any of the other parts to my rig may cause a louder noise. i.e. the corsair 500r

I am presuming that you tried disconnecting your case fans one by one and then listen to the CPU fan and PSU. You can even take out the GPU and run on the IGP to eliminate the Sapphire fans.
  6. When I have unidentified fan noise, I simply press the middle of the fan with my finger to add drag and listen for changes in noise pitch as the fan slows down. For fans behind meshes, I roll or fold a piece of paper and use that to increase drag.

Most of the time though, it is fairly easy to identify which fan noise comes from by ear or even touch when fans are far apart.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Corsair Components Product