Sign in with
Your question
Closed

How does bus width effect memory chip temperatures?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 27, 2011 2:37:46 AM

Usually questions like this wouldn't matter but in my case I have a laptop. It has a 6650m with 1GB of gddr3 @ 900mhz and a 128 bit bus width. I have overclocked its core to stable temperatures but haven't tried its memory due to a suggestion to not do it. The person said that when he overclocked the memory on his 9800m gs its died overtime due to heat. It had gddr3 memory @ 800mhz but its bus width was at 256. My gpu's gddr3 memory only has a bus width at 126 bits long. Would a smaller bus width give a potentially greater overclocking headroom due to less heat production.

According to Wikipedia gddr3 is much more energy efficient than its predecessor gddr2. Was this to that point that that heat became a none issue? If this is so maybe in the example I listed the cause of the chips damage was from convection from the core to the memory chips.

Best solution

a c 254 U Graphics card
a b } Memory
December 27, 2011 2:52:44 AM

It is a lot harder to cool things in a laptop than in a desktop you just can't get more cooling for the card like you can in a desktop , it is too compact and tight with no extra space. If you could get one of those laptop coolers that you place the laptop on then you could get extra cooling but you would have to keep using it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
a b U Graphics card
a b } Memory
December 27, 2011 3:04:28 AM

I don't think bus width, in itself, directly affects memory chip temps. But a wider bus width will take more PCB area and, depending on the design, may lead to less component crowding giving lower temps. :) 

Or may not. :( 
Score
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
December 27, 2011 6:37:04 PM

jsc said:
I don't think bus width, in itself, directly affects memory chip temps. But a wider bus width will take more PCB area and, depending on the design, may lead to less component crowding giving lower temps. :) 

Or may not. :( 

According to some reviews and forums GDDR3 doesn't have problems with heat. I guessing in the case I listed the persons GPU chip produced large amounts of heat over stock. The 9800m GS was practically a down clocked 9600 GT. 9600 GT's have a 50% greater TDP than HD 6670's which is what my gpu is based on. I going to say that overclocking the card made the ambient temperatures really hot which then overheated his memory.

I read in 6970 review that it could limit its TDP to prevent overheating even under furmark with a large a overclock. If my 6650m, which is based on the 6670, has this feature it might mean that the gpu will never go over it TDP specifications. The could mean that the ambient temperatures will never go over the manufacturers expectations even if I overclock it. I just need to find out if the lower end 6000 series cards that are not rebranded 5000 series cards have this feature.
Score
December 27, 2011 8:14:35 PM

According to AMD's website only the 6900's have powertune to limit the gpu's maximum TDP. Does anyone know if the 6670 has the powertune feature?
Score
January 12, 2012 2:12:47 PM

Best answer selected by phyrexiancure.
Score
!